Date: Mon, 23 Mar 87 11:46:43 CST
From: werner@astro.as.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig)
To: werner@r20.utexas.edu
Subject: The "National E-Mail Registry" has opened a toll-free registration ...

UNIX REVIEW Vol.5 #3 of March 87 has the following blurb on page 6 in the
regular column "CURRENTS, a monthly compendium of Unix community news" :

<quote start>
The "National E-Mail Registry" has opened a toll-free registration service
aimed at establishing an online "white pages" of electronic mail users.
The service will list people wether their interest in e-mail is
professional or personal.  By dialing 800/622-0505 with a 300, 1200, or
2400 baud modem, a user can provide information online to be listed in
the registry.  Those who have registered then can dial 203/245-7720 to
search for other addresses in the National E-Mail White Pages.  All
services up to the first 50 searches are free.  Inquiries can be directed
to 800/245-7720
<end quote>

well, I called the 800-number, and the first problem was that it did not
work on 2400baud.  In the process of falling back to 1200, I lost the
initial login prompt and could not figure out how to login as a new-user.
So I called the voice-info number and chatted with a Mr. Steel, who wasn't
sure why the 2400baud didn't work.  I asked if he had anything in print
describing the service that he could send me:  I was promised a
press-release.  So I decided to dial in again at 1200 baud to see what
I could find out online.

I didn't like what I found!!!

				The log follows below:

ATDT1-800-622-0505
CONNECT 1200

To Access The National E-Mail Registry, type : REGISTER followed by a return

Username: REGISTER

*                                                                        *
*  Welcome to the NATIONAL E-MAIL Registry.  Running V.M.S. Version 4.50 *
*                                                                        *

    Last interactive login on Monday, 23-MAR-1987 05:42
    Last non-interactive login on Monday, 23-MAR-1987 05:49
  23-MAR-1987 10:42:00
Your session has a time limit of (HH:MM) 00:12.
Can you display 80 chars/line (Y/N)? y

==> Welcome to...THE NATIONAL E-MAIL REGISTRY

Please enter your..
..FIRST Name: Werner
..MIDDLE Initial: R
..LAST Name: Uhrig
Werner R. Uhrig, correct (Y/N)? y

Please enter your HOME phone
 ###-###-####
?
Please enter your HOME phone
 ###-###-####
?no
....Invalid format for Telephone Number
Please enter your HOME phone
 ###-###-####
?unlisted
....Invalid format for Telephone Number
Please enter your HOME phone
 ###-###-####
?512-555-1212
512-555-1212, correct (Y/N)? y

Select a unique password: xyzabsd
XYZABSD, correct (Y/N)? y

==> Welcome to...THE NATIONAL E-MAIL REGISTRY!

You've reached the online equivalent of the phone company white pages! The
National E-Mail Registry beats the key obstacle to electronic messaging --
finding the favorite address of your E-Mail receiver.  We help connect users of
services like MCI-Mail or Telex to those of Compuserve, EasyLink, and even
local BBS systems.  Anyone with a modem can list his or her preferred online
address in our directory.

We're currently building our database of E-Mail users. Starting 6/1/87, all
registrants will be included in a continuously updated, searchable online
directory called The National E-Mail White Pages (203-245-7720).  You can use
the White Pages to quickly find other registrants.  It's just like 'directory
assistance,' but it's modem-to-modem.

YOU MUST FIRST REGISTER YOUR OWN PREFERRED E-MAIL ADDRESS TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE
WHITE PAGES.  Register now! We'll mail you a NO-COST account# and password that
entitle you to 50 FREE online searches in the White Pages starting June 1.

Registration takes about 5 minutes.  PRESS <RETURN> TO REGISTER, or Q to Quit:

** National E-Mail Registry Questionnaire

Please answer ALL questions ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY to get a FREE listing in
the National E-Mail Registry -- the "White Pages" of E-Mail users! Other
callers can find your favorite E-Mail "address," and you can find theirs.
Register NOW, and get 50 FREE searches.  We'll confirm the accuracy
on the info you enter below via phone or U.S. Mail.

** This is a TOLL-FREE call. PLEASE RESPOND CAREFULLY. Please DO NOT abbreviate!

Will you complete this questionaire accurately (Y/N): q
...Answer must be -Y- or -N-
Will you complete this questionaire accurately (Y/N): ?
...Answer must be -Y- or -N-
Will you complete this questionaire accurately (Y/N): f`~xx~f`f`~xx~f`

I hung up at this point.   As you can tell, I refuse to give out my phone-#
and being asked  "Will you complete this questionaire accurately (Y/N):"
without having seen the questions does not go down well with me.
I'll leave it to you to speculate what the motives of these folks are and what
other questions they have waiting - I'm no longer interested.

Comments?

-------