[mod.telecom] Radio call letters

KJBSF@SLACVM (03/23/87)

Date: 22 March 1987, 13:12:21 PST
From: Kevin J. Burnett          x3330                <KJBSF@SLACVM>
To:   <TELECOM@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Radio call letters

I have noticed that along with the Kxxx and Wxxx call letters used for radio
stations in the US, there are ones used for other countries as well (such as
HCJB radio in Quito, Ecuador).  Where would I be able to find out how the
lettering plan works?

Thanks.

mse@Phobos.Caltech.EDU.UUCP (03/23/87)

Responding to Kevin Burnett:
>I have noticed that along with the Kxxx and Wxxx call letters used for radio
>stations in the US, there are ones used for other countries as well (such as
>HCJB radio in Quito, Ecuador).  Where would I be able to find out how the
>lettering plan works?

International call sign prefixes are defined by the International Tele-
communications Union (Palais Wilson, Geneva, Switzerland) and are published
in many places.  Look at various publications of the American Radio Relay
League (ARRL), e.g., their Amateur Radio Handbook, or in various Shortwave
Radio Directories.  Also, reference works such as "Reference Data for Radio
Engineers."

It's a pretty haphazard system, I'd say - worse even than telephone numbering.
The block HCA-HDZ is Ecuador, while HBA-HBZ and HEA-HEZ are Switzerland.
The US has all the W's, K's, N's, and half of the A's.  The third world
fights for scraps of address space.

Martin Ewing, AA6E
Caltech Radio Astronomy

KFL@AI.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/23/87)

I don't know where it is written down, but call letter prefixes
are allocated by some international agency.  The United States
has AA through AL, and all of K, N, and W.  Canada has C and V.
Mexico has X.  Every letter and every number prefix is allocated
except no stations begin with Q.

For broadcast stations, the FCC has ruled that stations East of the
Mississippi begin with W, West of the Mississippi begin with K.  (A
very few early stations such as KDKA break this rule.)
								...Keith

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <8703230020.AA04366@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KJBSF@SLACVM writes:
>Date: 22 March 1987, 13:12:21 PST
>From: Kevin J. Burnett          x3330                <KJBSF@SLACVM>
>To:   <TELECOM@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
>Subject: Radio call letters
>
>I have noticed that along with the Kxxx and Wxxx call letters used for radio
>stations in the US, there are ones used for other countries as well (such as
>HCJB radio in Quito, Ecuador).  Where would I be able to find out how the
>lettering plan works?
>
>Thanks.

   Funny you should mention it.   The 'W' and 'K' that starts all United States
radio and television station's call are seperated by the Mississippi river.
East of the river all calls begin with the letter 'W', to the west, 'K' begin
the calls.  Of course there are exceptions...
   The FCC is looking into deregulating this and any one can have a 'W' or
'K' to start their calls.  Also stations that have no connection with an
exisiting station that has a paticular call, can share it.   KGO-TV in San
Francisco can give their permission to let an AM or a FM station use the KGO
call.  You might see a KGO-FM in LA.  (Side Note:  KGO-FM is now KLOK-FM, and
KGO-AM is owned by ABC in SF.)

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

marston.UUCP@dartvax.UUCP.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <8703230020.AA04366@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, KJBSF@SLACVM writes:
> To:   <TELECOM@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
> Subject: Radio call letters
>Kevin J. Burnett asks:
>   Where would I be able to find out how the
> lettering plan works?
The United States allocation also includes AAx-ALx and Nxxx. Full listings
can be found in _Broadcasting_Yearbook_ or _Reference_Data_for_Radio_
Engineers_, which should be in the reference section of a large library.
.................David Marston          decvax!dartvax!marston

poslfit@gpu.utcs.utoronto.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <8703230020.AA04366@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KJBSF@SLACVM writes:
> I have noticed that along with the Kxxx and Wxxx call letters used for radio
> stations in the US, there are ones used for other countries as well (such as
> HCJB radio in Quito, Ecuador).  Where would I be able to find out how the
> lettering plan works?

According to the 1987 _World_Radio_TV_Handbook_, call signs are
registered with International Frequency Registration Board, which
is part of the International Telecommunication Union and is based
in Geneva, Switzerland (ITU, Place des Nations, 1211 Geneva 20,
Switzerland).  Browsing through the same book reveals the following
(empirical) information:

Country      Call Letter Format (@=letter, #=number)

Argentina    L[R-W][@]#[#]
Aruba        P4A#[#]
Australia    n@@ (n=[1..8] depending on state)
Bolivia      CP##[#]
Brazil       ZY[H-L]###
Canada       C[BFH-K]@[@]
Chile        C[A-D]##[#]
China (R)    BE@##
Colombia     HJ@@
Costa Rica   TI@@@
Cuba         CM@@
Dominican R. HI@@
Ecuador      HC@@#
El Salvador  YS@[@]
Guatemala    TG@@
Haiti        4V@[@][@]
Honduras     HR@[@[#][#]]
Japan        JO@@
Korea (R)    HL@@
Mexico       XE@[@][@]
Neth. Ant.   PJ@[#][#]
New Zealand  #[X-Z]@
Nicaragua    HT@nnn (nnn=frequency in kHz)
Panama       HO@[##]
Papua N.G.   P2[KT]#[#]
Paraguay     ZP#[#]
Peru         O[A-C][X-Z]#@
Philippines  D[W-Z]@@
Thailand     HSK@
Uruguay      C[V-X]#[#][#]
Venezuela    YV@@
john j. chew (v3.0)                       poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
+1 416 463 5403 (300/1200 bps)            poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet
{cbosgd,decvax,mnetor,utai,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utgpu!poslfit
"Script-G for open, sub-delta for durchschnitt"

halbert@pbsvax.DEC.COM.UUCP (03/24/87)

The easiest place I know of to find a chart of international radio call
letter prefixes is in the front pages of a copy of the "Radio Amateur's
Callbook", which is a telephone-book-like book you can probably find at
your local public library. There are U.S. and foreign versions, but either
will do for this purpose.

The US has all of K, W, N (e.g. the numbers on the sides of airplanes), and
AA-AL. Commercial broadcast stations use only K and W now, but the other
prefix letters are in use for ham, military, and other call signs.

--Dan Halbert, KB1RT