[net.sf-lovers] Meeting Advanced Aliens

jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) (07/16/85)

Wasn't it Fermi who asked about 40 years ago "If there are advanced races
out there in the stars, where are they?" meaning that at least one star
faring race should have explored the whole place by now and we should have
seen them. There are several theories (human uniqueness, quarantine, etc)
in answer to THE QUESTION; one that I haven't heard is that the first
aliens to master space are totally zenophobic and when they detect
industrial civilizations arising (via radio transmission) they come and
wipe them, and soon us, out.

Assuming this slightly pessimistic theory is incorrect, I find it interesting
to speculate not on what THEY would come for, but upon what THEY would
be like if considerably advanced relative to ourselves. E.g. with "IQs"
of 1000.

They would talk to us, and be bored a lot of the time in doing so I guess.
Probably they would plan for very long-term goals . Human's plans
are generally of the order of one year (multiply or divide by ten). Gorillas
and dogs don't plan more than a few seconds ahead. I'm assuming that THEY
are ahead of us in roughly the same ratio as we are ahead of gorillas.

Presumably they would have concerns that we could not even comprehend, and
therefore cannot now speculate about! Or can we? Anyone care to try?

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (07/19/85)

[...]

Possible answers to the question "Where are the aliens?" (most of
which have appeared in numerous SF stories):

(a)   They are here.  They're just clever enough to disguise themselves
      or conceal themselves or avoid capture.  (Certainly very reasonable;
      human spies can go undetected for years, even in the most suspicious
      of environments.  Non-humanoids would find this more difficult, but
      they could easily observe from a short distance.)

(b)   Any race sufficiently advanced to have achieved inter-stellar
      travel has also achieved "civilization" in the sense that they
      are above interfering with the development of other species.
      Therefore they let us develop in peace and stay out of our way
      until we have evolved past animalistic aggression.

(c)   Some race is sufficiently advanced to maintain inter-stellar
      peace, at least in the local region of space.  Maybe there are
      a lot of nasties out there, but the local rulers believe in
      non-interference and have sufficient clout to enforce the policy.

(d)   Several races are actively at war in space.  Either earth is in
      a demilitarized zone, or it is militarily unimportant.  The warfare
      takes up the time and effort of participants and they don't waste
      energy on planets that are no current threat.

(e)   Space races are terrified of humans for some reason.  Or of earth
      in general (e.g. because there are numerous diseases here, because
      something nasty lives here secretly, etc.).

(f)   FTL travel is impossible.  Inter-stellar travel requires the colony
      ship approach or suspended animation.  Everything is subject to
      relativistic effects like time dilation.  This makes exploration
      much more difficult and time-consuming.  It just so happens we
      haven't been found yet; indeed, many races may decide that
      inter-stellar colonization is economically pointless and may do
      their best to live at home.

(g)   Earth is the only planet where life (or technological life) ever
      developed...or at least the only planet in the neighbourhood.

I've probably left out a few explanations from the list.  Variations
are many; take (c), for example, inter-stellar peace-keepers who prevent
nasties from interfering.  These could be benevolent beings; malevolent
beings who wipe out any race that ventures into space; a doomsday ship
that was programmed by someone to hang around Jupiter and shoot anything
that happens by; a natural or artificial barrier that makes our region
of space difficult to enter; and so on.

Okay guys, hop on the bandwagon and add to the list.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

In article <15835@watmath.UUCP> jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) writes:
>[...]
>
>Possible answers to the question "Where are the aliens?" (most of
>which have appeared in numerous SF stories):
>[...]
>(f)   FTL travel is impossible.  Inter-stellar travel requires the colony
>      ship approach or suspended animation.  Everything is subject to
>      relativistic effects like time dilation.  This makes exploration
>      much more difficult and time-consuming.  It just so happens we
>      haven't been found yet; indeed, many races may decide that
>      inter-stellar colonization is economically pointless and may do
>      their best to live at home.

See my previous posting; I won't repeat myself here.

>I've probably left out a few explanations from the list.  Variations
>are many; take (c), for example, inter-stellar peace-keepers who prevent
>nasties from interfering.  These could be benevolent beings; malevolent
>beings who wipe out any race that ventures into space; a doomsday ship
>that was programmed by someone to hang around Jupiter and shoot anything
>that happens by; a natural or artificial barrier that makes our region
>of space difficult to enter; and so on.

I would regard nasties as quite different from benevolent protection,
not just a variation.

OK, now for some others:

(h)	Intelligent races at some point evolve past the need for physical
	existence.  As a variation, they find parallel worlds (infinitely
	many of them) and don't need the rest of the universe.

(i)	Intelligent races are inevitably warlike.  At some point they get
	sufficiently deadly weapons and kill themselves off.

However, option (g) seems the most likely to me -- there aren't any other
technological races, at least not in our galaxy.  The next question is,
why not?  The following seem to me to be the main possible reasons:

(1)	Planets which can support life are very rare.  Either planetary
	systems are rare, or the conditions required for life are
	more special than we think.

(2)	Life is a very unlikely phenomenon.  Almost all worlds which
	can support life don't have any.

(3)	Some step in the evolution of intelligent life is very unlikely.
	Maybe multicellular life is unique to Earth.  Maybe sexual
	reproduction is.

(4)	Technology is unique to us.  Other races don't develop it.  This
	may be because they lack appropriate manipulatory organs, or
	because there is something unlikely about its development.

(5)	All of the above.  Perhaps each of the above is 10 to 100 times
	as unlikely as the SETI people estimate, so that the expected
	number of intelligent races in the galaxy is about one.

(6)	Perhaps our evolution was amazingly fast, and we aren't so much
	the only technological species as the first.

(7)	Collisions with astronomical objects may be quite common, and we
	are very lucky not to have been hit by anything really large in
	the last few billion years.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (07/24/85)

> (f)   FTL travel is impossible.  Inter-stellar travel requires the colony
>       ship approach or suspended animation.  Everything is subject to
>       relativistic effects like time dilation.  This makes exploration
>       much more difficult and time-consuming.  It just so happens we
>       haven't been found yet; indeed, many races may decide that
>       inter-stellar colonization is economically pointless and may do
>       their best to live at home.

Not a valid argument. All it takes is one race... in fact if nothing else
stops us we'll have the entire galaxy colonised in a million years, even
without FTL. A million years is nothing to the age of the universe.
--
-- Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
-- UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (07/26/85)

> (f)   FTL travel is impossible.  Inter-stellar travel requires the colony
>       ship approach or suspended animation.  Everything is subject to
>       relativistic effects like time dilation.  This makes exploration
>       much more difficult and time-consuming.  It just so happens we
>       haven't been found yet; indeed, many races may decide that
>       inter-stellar colonization is economically pointless and may do
>       their best to live at home.

Not a valid argument. All it takes is one race... in fact if nothing else
stops us we'll have the entire galaxy colonised in a million years, even
without FTL. A million years is nothing to the age of the universe.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter
		MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

milne@uci-icse (07/27/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   I'm surprised nobody has mentioned what seems to me the most obvious
   reason: distances in space are !!!ENORMOUS!!!, far beyond human capacity to
   perceive.  Remember the definition of "infinite" given in the Hitchhikers'
   Guide to the Galaxy?  "Big, multiplied by colossal, multiplied by
   staggeringly huge ...".  An understatement, certainly, but aiming in the
   right direction.  Isn't it more than likely that, in all that unthinkable
   volume, our little planet just hasn't been noticed?  Consider:

       - All our radio and TV signals (and whatever other kinds we've been
       generating) can't be more than 50 or 60 light-years out by now.
       Furthermore, the ones at the front must be in pretty rotten shape:
       besides the attenuation as they describe the surface of an expanding
       sphere, the equipment that produced them wasn't very good to begin with.

       - The only other way I've heard of to detect a planet is to examine
       any eccentricity in its sun's motion; and I have no idea how well Earth
       can be detected that way, since we have 8 competitors, including some
       real heavyweights (though it is true that they are at much greater
       distances).

       - Even from a relatively low height above Earth, no signs of
       civilisation can be detected.  You have to be surprisingly low before
       you can see regularities in surface patterns around New York, for
       instance, or the wanderings of the Great Wall of China.  Though I grant
       that anybody scanning the EM bands at that distance should be bombarded
       with regular signals.

       How, then, is any non-Terran going to know that there is anything (like
       a planet) or anybody here to visit?  This seems to me the most likely
       reason.

       Alastair Milne

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (07/31/85)

In article <410@ttidcb.UUCP> jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) writes:

>Wasn't it Fermi who asked about 40 years ago "If there are advanced races
>out there in the stars, where are they?" meaning that at least one star
>faring race should have explored the whole place by now and we should have
>seen them.

Well, 40 years ago the idea of going to the moon was considered preposterous,
and supersonic travel was "impossible"--so I wouldn't quote 40 year old
predictions...

My own response is two-fold--the size of the galaxy relative to the size of
the earth is such that looking for a needle in a haystack would be child's
play by comparison (ie, even if they were looking for intelligent life, think
of *all* the area in which to look (don't quote me quotes of they receiving
our radio signals, either--this is forty years ago, remember?); the second
thing is, why would they come here?  Shoot, probably most of us wouldn't
be here if we could leave (joke, joke!).

>They would talk to us, and be bored a lot of the time in doing so I guess.
>Probably they would plan for very long-term goals . Human's plans
>are generally of the order of one year (multiply or divide by ten). Gorillas
>and dogs don't plan more than a few seconds ahead. I'm assuming that THEY
>are ahead of us in roughly the same ratio as we are ahead of gorillas.
>
>Presumably they would have concerns that we could not even comprehend, and
>therefore cannot now speculate about! Or can we? Anyone care to try?

I would recommend Dorothy Lessing's works to anyone interested in these types
of questions...as a matter of fact, I would recommend her "Shikasta" series
to *anyone*, regardless of their interests.  They were primarily philosophical
and political criticism vehicles, I suppose, but they were quite good as
science fiction in their own right.  Or as satire (especially "The Sentimental
Agents").  Alas, I can't remember a single other title...there goes the
senility again!

Roy

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

Newman.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (08/05/85)

From: Newman.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

Any alien in the solar system will notice us on Earth!!! You assume that
someone looking at earth will be looking at the dayside! Try looking at
the nightside sometime! (Or a picture if you don't have a shuttle ticket
:-) It is very easy to see that something is happening on Earth if you
look at a night-time picture of North America; you can identify most of
the major population centers by the size and approximate location of the
blob of light that sits there. It is also real good confirmation of the
idea of light population.