Date: Sat 21 Mar 87 04:53:52-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Q: reporting (or not) your hardware to the TELCO ?!
To: telecom@R20.UTEXAS.EDU

	Gary Wells <gary%percival%reed%tektronix.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET> writes
	in TELECOM Digest V6 #23 ...

> There are several methods used by the telco's for line testing. .....
> By knowing WHAT is hanging
> on the end of your cable, you can quickly tell the status of the pair AND the
> station.  This is why the telco's fought so hard about registration.  They
> really didn't care about the equipment, they just need to know what it
>  "looks" like, for trouble isolation purposes.

HMMMM,  it's been years now that I've taken the trouble to tell SWB about the
latest changes in equipment that I've connected at my end - mainly, because
it changes so often and because I'm under the impression that they don't really
care to know; or, at least, don't do anything with the information that I
give them about my latest set of hardware  (besides, it often changes on
a daily basis;  what with all these new modems, answering machines, phones and
other gadgets to test and play with :-)

Now, what I'd like to know is the following:

1)  Can someone tell me what the phone company *SHOULD* be doing with the data
	describing my hardware?

2)  Is there something that I should *INSIST* that SWB do in response to me
	reporting what I have connected?

3) Is there some way that I can test that they *ACTUALLY DID* what needed to
	be done at their end?

4)  Can not reporting my latest set of hardware lead to *DEGRADING* in line
	quality somehow?  for example, could this lead to degraded line quality
	for data communications using a modem (especially at 2400 baud)?  or to
	another phenomenon, such as "not all connected phones ring during an
	incoming call"?

I guess, what I really need is a pointer to a book which really all that I may
ever want to know about telephones and data-communications in a lingo I can
understand and make sense of (i.e. don't require the background and knowledge
of the lingo of a telecommunications engineer).  Please, *DO* give pointers !!

---Werner
-------

bob@acornrc.UUCP.UUCP (04/03/87)

About a year ago, I got to feeling guilty with all the equipment on my
one phone line (4 phones, answering machine, modem), and wondered whether
suddently things might stop ringing, so I dutifully wrote down all the RENs,
serial numbers, etc., and called up Pacific Bell.

The fellow who answered my call was rather surprised when I told him why I
was calling.  He chuckled and replied that Pac Bell's equipment doesn't care
about what you've got on your line, so their people don't care either.

I never got to rattle off my list of RENs.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.UUCP