[mod.telecom] Submission for mod-telecom

natal1@watarts.waterloo.edu.UUCP (01/25/87)

From: natal1@watarts.UUCP (Paul Beam)
Newsgroups: soft.people,soft.proposals,mod.telecom,comp.dcom.modems,comp.unix.questions
Subject: UnixBBS
Date: 24 Jan 87 23:15:44 GMT

Hello!
I am looking for any information regarding the UNIXBBS program.
What is it, what can it do?  Also, if you know of any other
programs which allow multi-users conferencing, mail and on-line
discussions in a user-friendly enviorment, please send a message
to this account or send correspondance to:
RAPPI-MOVE
c/o
Paul Beam
English Dept
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Thanx,
      Chris Hudel & Paul Beam

PS: if you know about UNIXBBS, where can it be obtained?

kludge%gitpyr%gatech.CSNET@RELAY.CS.NET.UUCP (01/29/87)

From: kludge@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: mail-sorting
Date: 29 Jan 87 01:38:05 GMT

In article <8701271752.AA08915@circe.homer.nj.att.com> smb@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@ulysses.UUCP writes:
>I saw some interesting technology on a letter from the Soviet Union.  On
>the envelope (it may have been an aerogram; I don't recall) there were
>six templates for digits, with printed lines indicating where the penstrokes
>should go.  On the back was a sample of how they wanted each digit to look
>when superimposed on that template.  They're apparently called "index numbers",

  Yep.. I've seen them before.  From what I have been told, there is a machine
that makes a pass of the numbers with 3 CDS cells per digit, one on each side
and one in the center.  The pattern produced is used by a big machine with
relays to determine what the number is, and what bin it should be placed in.
Kind of like an old Burroughs card sorter with limited OCR.
  This is what I have gathered from the question I posed to Radio Kiev (who
uses these numbers), and I would not vouch for the quality of this information
at all, for this reason.  But, it is an intersting technology.

--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die),  Rich 110,

colin@seismo.CSS.GOV@vu-vlsi.UUCP (01/29/87)

From: colin@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Colin Kelley)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom,comp.dcom.modems
Subject: MOD-TAP address or phone number
Date: 29 Jan 87 03:57:09 GMT

I'm looking to use modular phone plugs as serial port connectors on a project
I'm working on.  I'm going to need both male and female 4- and 6-conductor
connectors (RJ-12 etc?), as well as male-to-DB25 connectors.  I've used MOD-TAP
connector before and found them to be very convenient.

Can someone please help me contact MOD-TAP or a MOD-TAP distributor for a
catalog?  Recommendations of (cheaper) competition are very welcome also!
Thanks!

	-Colin Kelley  ..{cbmvax,pyrnj,psuvax1,bpa}!vu-vlsi!colin

uucp@beaver.cs.washington.edu.UUCP (01/29/87)

From: randy@uw-june.UUCP (William Randy Day)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: RE: mail-sorting, Soviet mail
Date: 29 Jan 87 17:57:13 GMT

mod.telecom may not be the place, but...

I too have noticed the templates on Soviet mail indicating how to draw
numbers. The very first thing in a Soviet address is their equivalent of
a zip code, and I suspect that the zip code is supposed to be
drawn in the manner indicated. However, I noticed that my correspondent
didn't bother.

Randy Day.
UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-june!randy
ARPA: randy@larry.cs.washington.edu
CSNET: randy%washington@relay.cs.net

gary%percival%reed@tektronix.tek.com.UUCP (01/31/87)

From: gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom,comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Volunteers with bad phone lines wanted
Date: 30 Jan 87 22:56:12 GMT

Per the January 19 edition of "MIS Week", the "The Network" column, page 4:

"Modem maker Bizcomp is looking for the worst phone lines in America.  It
wants to test, in the harshest real-world conditions they can find, a new
line of 2400bps modems, which, they hope to claim, can handle bad connections
better than the competition.  Sites chosen for testing may get a free modem.
If your phone lines are really bad, find a better one and call
(408) 733-7800."

Surely someone(s) on the net should be able to qualify.
.

john@starfish.Convergent.COM.UUCP (02/02/87)

From: john@starfish.UUCP (John McLean)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: (none)
Date: 2 Feb 87 04:37:10 GMT

In article <8702010550.AA07252@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, rdsnyder@MIT-CCC.UUCP writes:

> I am very disturbed about one message I read.  The person proposed to
> use modular telephone connectors for connecting RS-232 serial lines.
> I think this is a BAD IDEA.  Modular plugs were developed to connect
> telephones and only telephones, and that is how they should be used lest
> some bozo should happen to plug an RS-232 cable into a telephone jack
> and fry the serial card with -48V when it wants +/-12V or, worse yet,
> cause damage to our wonderful Public Switched Telephone Network.
>
> -Ross (rdsnyder%ccc@eddie.mit.edu)

Our MIS department has several RS-232 patch panels using RJ-11
connectors.  We decided to use RJ-11 connectors since we needed
to patch 50 lines and wanted to keep size/cost down.  So far,
there have been no problems.  We are very satisfied with the
performance.  The panel really *is* easy to use.

The patch "cables" used in this panel consist of RJ-ll connectors
crimped on to standard 4-conductor flat lead telephone cable.
Our entire setup has a very neat and compact appearance.

If we'd decided to use conventional DB-25 (or even DB-15 or DB-9)
connectors and cables in the patch panel, we would have ended up
with a much larger and more cumbersome arrangement.

In our "controlled" environment, we have never had a
problem with anyone mixing the panel and anything related to the
telephone network.  But I wouldn't wager money that we wouldn't
have a problem with the average user getting the two
mixed up!  Joe Average User just isn't allowed near the panel!

John McLean
Convergent Technologies

---------

hes@mcnc.org@ecsvax.UUCP (02/03/87)

From: hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: boc info on aldc's  (not a secret in NC)
Date: 3 Feb 87 03:19:32 GMT

Southern Bell (a Bellsouth co.) put an article on its bill insert
newsletter, "Choices in long distance dialing" which explains how
to use your preferred ldc, and how to use the "five-digit code"
(10xxx) to access others.  They don't include any access codes, but
suggest you call these other long distance companies.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

kent@caip.rutgers.edu@tifsie.UUCP (02/04/87)

From: kent@tifsie.UUCP (Russell Kent)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Mod-Tap
Date: 4 Feb 87 01:33:24 GMT

> It is unfortunate I suppose that Mod-Tap Inc. decided to use RJ-11
> connectors to run RS-232.  They have been selling there cabeling
> stuff for quite a while now, and it it quite popular.  I suppose now
> the next thing we'll see is terminal manufacturers putting rj-11's
> on the back of there terminals for RS-232, and when you accidently
> plug a phone line into it--Blamo!--a $200.00 repair!
> -Mike

A well-engineered terminal should cope with this.  Something as simple
as 2 12-volt Zeners plus a 200 ohm resistor across what is usually the
"ring/tip" pair would probably suffice to protect the terminal.  As to
what this would do to USTelco systems, I don't know.

Disclaimer:  I am neither a licensed telephone repairman, nor do I possess
	     a formal EE degree (mine is M-CS-SD).  Any statements made
	     herein are (off-the-top-of-my-head) opinions, and should
	     NOT be construed as recommendations.

--
Russell Kent			Phone: +1 214 995 3501
Texas Instruments - MS 3635	Net mail:

john@seismo.CSS.GOV@xanth.cs.odu.edu (02/09/87)

From: john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Using RJ-11 connectors for RS-232 lines
Date: 9 Feb 87 19:34:08 GMT

In article <8702010550.AA07252@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, rdsnyder@MIT-CCC.UUCP writes:
- I am very disturbed about one message I read.  The person proposed to
- use modular telephone connectors for connecting RS-232 serial lines.
- I think this is a BAD IDEA.
- -Ross (rdsnyder%ccc@eddie.mit.edu)

I agree with the dangers of confusing the lines, but there is a
solution.  At the last place that I worked, they wanted to have a
telephone and RS-232 connection at each engineer's desk and other
locations, with over 500 such pairs of connections.  The solution was
to have an RJ-11 4-wire connector for the telephone lines, and to have
a modular connector that was 6-wire, and therefore wider, for the
RS-232 connection.  These were mounted in a two-jack plate at each
station, and both the telephone and serial lines were wired on the
same patch panel.  I don't know if these 6-wire jacks and plugs are
standard items, but they certainly had enough there.  The support
people kept a drawer full of 3-foot cables with the modular connectors
on one end and male and female DB-25 connectors on the others.  (Also
some DB-9s for the IBM AT serial cards.)  It worked very well.

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

pgtrubey@watlion.waterloo.edu.UUCP (02/10/87)

From: pgtrubey@watlion.UUCP (Phil Trubey)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Public digital radio network.
Date: 10 Feb 87 03:17:18 GMT

I was just reading about a proposal put forward by a Donald Stoner
in 1985 to the FCC suggesting the allocation of a 2Mhz frequency
band in the radio spectrum to be used as a public packet radio network.
(The article describing it was posted in Mod.mag.fidonet).

Basically the proposal involved the use of receiver/transmitters
operating at some specific frequency.  Incoming signals would be
decoded, and if not destined for the node, the packet would be
retransmitted ... hopefully reaching neighbours who didn't get
the original transmission.  Although he didn't mention protocals
that much, presumably retransmitted packets would contain a hop count
so that packets being shuttled back and forth between two neighbours
would eventually be thrown out.

Hmmm, transmission interference sounds like a big problem...
(token passing in a radio packet network???)

Anyways...
Has anyone heard what the fate of this petition was?  Has anyone heard
of any other proposals that would use radio as the medium for a
public packet network?

Thanks for any info.
--
---

Phil Trubey      pgtrubey@watlion

mark@cbosgd.MIS.OH.ATT.COM@rutgers.UUCP (02/10/87)

From: mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Stargate announcement posted to news.stargate
Date: 10 Feb 87 04:43:14 GMT

For anyone who hasn't been reading news.stargate, but is interested
in the Stargate project, the long awaited event has occurred!  The
announcement of experimental subscriptions has been posted to
news.stargate newsgroup.  (Distribution has been restricted to
North America, since that's the extent of the Satellite footprint.)

For anyone who reads this and can't get news.stargate, a copy of the
announcement can be requested from
	stargate-query@Stargate.COM
or
	cbosgd!stargate!stargate-query

Please do any further discussion in news.stargate to avoid cluttering
up other groups.

	Mark Horton

beadel@seismo.CSS.GOV@oswego.UUCP (02/13/87)

From: beadel@oswego.UUCP (Edward F. Beadel, Jr.)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Submission for mod-telecom
Date: 13 Feb 87 01:51:08 GMT

In article <8701302256.AA02692@percival.LOCAL> gary%percival%reed@tektronix.tek.com (Gary Wells) writes:
>"Modem maker Bizcomp is looking for the worst phone lines in America.  It
>
>Surely someone(s) on the net should be able to qualify.
>.

try ihnp4!

--
Edward F. Beadel, Jr., Manager {seismo|decvax}!rochester\
Instructional Computing Center                   allegra !rocksvax!oswego!beadel

watcher@lll-lcc.ARPA@well.UUCP (02/14/87)

Someone else wrote that on MCI bills that the originating number is shown,
on all bills i have seen including mine, only the originating area is shown.
(or the largest are near there, my bills show the originating as someplace
50 miles from here!)

These opinions are mine and if you take them i'll be unhappy.

Buy stock in condoms!

steckel@alliant.Alliant.COM.UUCP (02/23/87)

From: steckel@alliant.UUCP (Geoff Steckel)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: error correcting modems
Date: 23 Feb 87 00:43:35 GMT

A number of vendors have introduced "error correcting" modems recently.
I have heard of none that notify the user that correction has taken place.
Some manufacturers actively discourage users from using error correction
protocols above their modems!  None, of course, detail the manner in which
they provide this service.  From experience and reading in networking,
this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Simply: no error correction scheme is perfect.  If an uncorrectable error
occurs, the modem has only two alternatives: break the connection, or silently
pass on bad data.  Alternative (1) is used by the well-known ISO protocol X.25.
Alternative (2) is used by error correcting modems.

A naive user who 'knows' his file is perfect, since his modem corrects errors
and therefore doesn't check his data will be rudely surprised some day when
the local telco surpasses itself in line awfulness.

Anyone who doubts how much trouble a supposedly error-free link can get a
system into should study the ARPAnet (now internet) archives, especially every
time a new link protocol was introduced.  The ISO networking layers all have
the problem of 'you can't know' if any errors happen in lower layers.

Some sort of education of the world would help manufacturers and users, but
where do we start?
	Geoff Steckel (consultant troublemaker) steckel@alliant.UUCP

uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV@amethyst.UUCP (02/26/87)

From: rsm@opal.ma.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: ld carrier access codes
Date: 25 Feb 87 22:21:41 GMT
Sender: uucp@amethyst.UUCP

Several people have complained of being unable to obtain lists of
access codes for ld carriers from their local telco.  I had no problem
obtaining such a list by phone from a local US West service rep.  The
following numbers were not included in Dave Esan's recent posting.

    Carrier			Number		Comments

    Sundial			263
    Republic Telecoms		001		"may be for businesses only"
    US Telecom			333
    Long Distance for Less	535
    Comm Systems (sp?)		266

The service rep said that I could be told such information "without a
credit check".  Presumably distribution of related information is or
has been restricted.
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: amethyst!rsm@arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: ..{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm
Univ. of Arizona  | Bitnet: maier@arizjvax
Tucson, AZ  85721 | Phone: +1 602 621 6893  /  +1 602 621 4665

fritzson@seismo.CSS.GOV@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (03/04/87)

From: fritzson@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Richard Fritzson)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Fire in Brooklyn phone facilities
Date: 4 Mar 87 04:48:46 GMT

In article <8703020223.AA04096@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> rdsnyder@MIT-CCC.UUCP writes:
>Subject:  Fire in NPA 718
>
>Does anyone know anything about a fire that apparently occurred in the
>facilities serving NPA 718 (Brooklyn, NY)?  When I try to call 718-452-xxxx
>using AT&T, I get the following message:
>"Due to a fire in a New York Telephone facility, your call did not go through.
>Please try your call again later.  718-2T" (Repeated twice, then

Check out the latest issue of Mod.risks, the risks forum. It describes
a toxic fire in the switching facilities in Brooklyn. Because of the highly
toxic nature of the fire, no one was allowed back in for quite awhile.
A number of exchanges were down.

--
      -Rich Fritzson
       Unisys - Paoli Research Center

johnh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU@wheaton.UUCP (03/08/87)

From: johnh@wheaton.UUCP (John Doc Hayward)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: color code for wire?
Date: 8 Mar 87 19:27:14 GMT

I noticed that comming into our home that the plate with outside wires had
red and green connected to two posts and that the wire going to the phone had
the green connected to the red and the red connected to the green.  Does this
matter? (ie is the line polarized or does it just act like two wires with
A/C electricity.  Thanks in advance

UUCP: ihnp4!wheaton!johnh                    telephone: (312) 260-3871 (office)
Mail: John Hayward Math/Computer Science Dept. Wheaton College Wheaton Il 60187
       Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8b

grodberg@seismo.CSS.GOV@kodak.UUCP (03/10/87)

From: grodberg@kodak.UUCP (jeremy grodberg)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: error correcting modems
Date: 9 Mar 87 23:48:12 GMT

In article XXX steckel@alliant.Alliant.COM (Geoff Steckel) writes:

>A number of vendors have introduced "error correcting" modems recently.
>I have heard of none that notify the user that correction has taken place.
>...  From experience and reading in networking, this is a disaster waiting to
>happen.

   From my experience with error correcting modems, notification of error
correction would be pointless.  First, at high speeds (4800 baud and up) over
normal phone lines, there is error correction taking place very frequently
(more often then every 1000 characters).  Thus the notification would be so
frequent as to be routinely ignored, and therefore pointless, totally leaving
out the fact that such notification would necessarily make the modem non-
transparent, which would greatly reduce it usefullness.
   Besides, notification that error correction has take place has nothing to do
with passing along incorrect data.  Incorrect data comes from so many errors
ocurring in the same block that the error correcting scheme gets fooled
into thinking some erroneous data was correct because "it checks."  True,
some good data may be trashed as well, but it is also possible that the
mistakes will fall so that no error correction takes place at all.
Certainly, the fact the error correction took place is not at all a good
indicator that bad data was passed, and in many error correction schemes, it
is not possible to know when an uncorrectable error has occurred (although
there are some that can catch a high percentage of such errors, none can guard
against all possible error sequences).

   It may be adviseable to use a low-power error correction scheme or error
detection scheme with ECC modems, but I'm not sure.  We have been routinely
transmitting around 750K of binaries a day at 4800 baud (with error correction
and data compression) via Motorola S-records, which provide very good error
detection.  We have been doing this 5 days a week for over two months, and have
NEVER detected an uncorrected tranmission error, even though we frequently have
error correction taking place in every block (512 characters).

   If an error correcting scheme can promise me no more than one uncorrected
error every six months of use, I'll be happy.  Nothing is perfect, and it is
dangerous to make things almost perfect, because it leads to humans putting
too much faith in such systems (It has to be right, the computer says so.).

          -Jeremy Grodberg

Usenet: ...rochester!kodak!grodberg
Arpa: 	grodberg@kodak or kodak!grodberg@rochester

john@ektools.UUCP.UUCP (03/25/87)

From: john@ektools.UUCP (John H. Hall)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Radio call letters
Date: 25 Mar 87 14:25:01 GMT

In article <172329.870323.KFL@AI.AI.MIT.EDU> KFL@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:
>For broadcast stations, the FCC has ruled that stations East of the
>Mississippi begin with W, West of the Mississippi begin with K.  (A
>very few early stations such as KDKA break this rule.)

The rule must have been made since 1970, for that was about when Westinghouse
Broadcasting bought WRCV (?) radio and TV in Philadelphia and changed their
calls to KYW.  The K-prefix and 3-character call are both unusual in the
Philadelphia area.
--
John Hall, Supervisor: Software Tools Group, Software Engineering Laboratory
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650,  716 726-9345

rsweeney@dasys1.Dasys.COM.UUCP (04/08/87)

From: rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP (Robert Sweeney)
Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Q: reporting (or not) your hardware to the TELCO ?!]
Date: 7 Apr 87 23:42:03 GMT

An interesting thing happened when a friend of mine reported his
BBS' modem line to New York Telephone.  The quality of service on
the line went DOWN considerably - he immediately began having trouble with
line noise, disconnections, and the like.   Has anyone else had a similar
experience?
--
Robert Sweeney           {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!\
Datamerica Systems        {harpo,bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!rsweeney