[mod.computers.ridge] Ditroff, CDS laser printer, TeX, & modems

bogstad@HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA ("William J. Bogstad") (10/29/85)

Forwarded by the coordinator...

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 85 18:19:25 pst
From:     lsf%abbott@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA
To:       bogstad@hopkins.ARPA

Hi,

.

	A few other items may be of interest to you and other Ridge users.
We have had a CDS laser printer since July, and now have ditroff (from the
Documenter's Workbench) up and running.  This required the writing of a
postprocessor to translate the alphabet soup of ditroff to commands that
the laser printer understands.  We are glad to offer this postprocessor to
anyone who needs it. We are also working on the implementation of TeX, but
need the new Ridge Pascal compiler to get any further.  It should be arriving
"any day now."  When we have that up and running, we will be glad to give
the postprocessor that will have to be written to anyone who wants it.

	I would be interested in hearing if anyone has found a kludge
that allows a modem hooked up to a serial port to be used in both a dial-in
and dial-out configuration. As Ridge does not yet have a functional Init
program, I don't have the foggiest notion on how to do this.

	Sincerely,

		Sam Finn (lsf)

----- End of forwarded messages

bogstad@HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA ("William J. Bogstad") (11/04/85)

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 85 18:58:20 -0100
From: seismo!mcvax!inria!kahn@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu (Gilles Kahn)
To: cbosgd!hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa!bogstad
Subject: Re: Ditroff, CDS laser printer, TeX, & modems

We have ported TeX on the ridge with the new pascal compiler (rp).
This was a fairly difficult task because we uncovered 4 major "bugs"
in the rp compiler, that prevented porting TeX1.3 from being a
straightforward
business. If you are interested in more details, send
me a message (...mcvax!inria!kahn) , that could shorten substantially your
work.
						Gilles Kahn

----- End of forwarded messages