[net.sf-lovers] Mavin Manyshaped

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (07/25/85)

I just bought and read the second of the Mavin Manyshaped novels.
Recommended.  Sherri Tipper has a way of phrasing moral problems that is
elegant and pleasing.  In the first book, it was explaining rape to a
young boy.  In this one, it is an exposition of the victim/perpetrator
rights problem.  All of this, and a "hard fantasy" adventure story too.

Has anybody read "The Revenants"?  Is it as worthwhile as the True Game
series?
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (07/31/85)

In article <111@rtp47.UUCP>, throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
> I just bought and read the second of the Mavin Manyshaped novels.
> Recommended.  Sherri Tipper has a way of phrasing moral problems that is
> elegant and pleasing.  In the first book, it was explaining rape to a
> young boy.  In this one, it is an exposition of the victim/perpetrator
> rights problem.  All of this, and a "hard fantasy" adventure story too.

	I do not recommend the second book to Tepper's saga of Mavin
Manyshaped.  While the True Game Series is excellent- and the first book
interesting since it provides the story behind the legend we only encounter
briefly in her series the second book is filled with baby talk type stuff,
which I found annoying.  Also, the plot is evident from the beginning of
the book and is not terribly exciting, whereas in the first Mavin Manyshaped
novel Tepper still gave us some insight into the cunning of a shapeshifter.

> Has anybody read "The Revenants"?  Is it as worthwhile as the True Game
> series?

	While it doesn't really compare with the true game series it is
still a worthwhile reading.  It is one of those macabre type books that
is intentionally confusing and mind warping as it deals heavily with
Deities and artifacts.  I recommend it for Tepper fans.

			Moshe Eliovson
			{allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte

ps- sorry about my Silverberg/Rosenberg mix up everybody...

chabot@amber.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (08/03/85)

>> Has anybody read "The Revenants"?  Is it as worthwhile as the True Game
>> series?
> 	While it doesn't really compare with the true game series it is
> still a worthwhile reading.  It is one of those macabre type books that
> is intentionally confusing and mind warping as it deals heavily with
> Deities and artifacts.  I recommend it for Tepper fans.

Well, I recommend _The_Revenants_ for anyone.  Moshe missed mentioning perhaps
the most interesting feature: Tepper does interesting things with gender--
the protagnist is female and male by turns, unpredictably and uncontrollably.
For a reason.

I had a hard time putting it down.  Don't worry about macabre--it's not nearly
so bad as, say, an Orson Scott Card novel.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot  chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

Posted:	Fri 2-Aug-1985 20:20
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::net.sf-lovers

tim@uci-icsd (08/06/85)

From: "Tim Shimeall" <tim@uci-icsd>

>From: rtp47!throopw@topaz.arpa (Wayne Throop)
>I just bought and read the second of the Mavin Manyshaped novels.
>Recommended.
I concur - All five of the True Game series is well worth reading
(The first three are a "Featured Alternate" selection in the SF Book
Club this month)

>Has anybody read "The Revenants"?  Is it as worthwhile as the True
>Game series?
Unfortunately, No.  I was quite depressed by "The Revenaunts": it had
lots of characterization problems.
				Tim