[mod.computers.workstations] SEMINAR

SASW@MIT-MC.ARPA ("Steven A. Swernofsky") (12/07/85)

MSG:  *MSG   4790
Date: 12/06/85 11:38:31
From: LYALL at MIT-XX.ARPA
Re:   Seminar

Date: Fri 6 Dec 85 11:34:59-EST
From: Neena Lyall <LYALL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar
To: *mac@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: lyall@MIT-XX.ARPA

                         Wednesday, December 11, 1985

                               2:15 Refreshments
                                 2:30 Lecture

                                Room: NE43-512A

            A DISTRIBUTED FILE SYSTEM FOR A NETWORK OF WORKSTATIONS

                       Paul Leach and Nathaniel Mishkin
                               (Apollo Computer)

The  Apollo workstation supports a distributed file system based on the concept
of a "single-level store."  Files are "objects" identified by 64 bit  IDs  that
are unique across all Apollo file systems.  A process accesses an object's data
by mapping the object into the process's address space and making normal memory
references.   The distinction between local and remote objects is known only to
the pager, which loads objects' pages on demand.

We will discuss several aspects of this architecture that we feel  are  crucial
to  its  success:    a  distributed  lock  manager,  caching  of object data, a
network-wide registry of users, and a distributed, replicated  naming  database
that is used to locate nodes based on name.

Conventional  stream  I/O  (open,  close,  read,  write,  etc.)  is provided by
"Streams."  Streams can be used to access objects in the single-level store and
other  objects  that  support  the  concept  of  stream I/O (e.g.  tape drives,
terminal) I/O lines.  Streams is object-oriented and extensible---the  behavior
of  Streams  depends  on the type of the object.  Users can define new types of
objects and write managers that implement the stream  operations  for  the  new
type.

We  will  discuss the the principles behind Streams' extensibility and describe
how we  see  it  being  used  as  the  mechanism  for  supporting  file  system
connections in a heterogeneous environment.

The   Apollo   distributed   file  system  has  been  implemented  on  a  680x0
microprocessor-based workstation.  Workstations are connected by a  12MB  token
ring;  rings  can  be  connected  by  gateways  to  form  an internetwork.  All
workstations in the internet have equal access to the distributed file  system.
The internet at Apollo Computer has over 1000 workstations.

Host: Professor Richard E. Zippel

SASW@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Steven A. Swernofsky") (02/22/86)

Date: 20 Feb 1986 1204-EST
From: ALR at XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

                        SEMINAR

DATE:  MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 1986

TIME:  REFRESHMENTS AT 3:00 PM
TALK AT 3:15 PM

PLACE:  ROOM NE43-512A

        THE ANDREW FILE SYSTEM: PRINCIPLES AND DESIGN

                        M. SATYANARAYANAN
                        Carnegie-Mellon University

                                ABSTRACT
Andrew is a computing and communication system consisting of
thousands of personal computer workstations linked by a
location-transparent distributed file system.  The design of Andrew
is a synthesis of the best features of personal computing and
timesharing.  It combines the rich user-machine interface and
predictable performance characteristic of personal computing with the
ease of information sharing typical of timesharing systems.  This
system is being built at Carnegie-Mellon University in collaboration
with IBM.

In the talk, I will focus on the design and rationale of the
distributed file system for Andrew.  While scale has been the
dominant design influence, careful attention has also been paid to
the goals of location transparency, user mobility and compatibility
with existing operating system interfaces.  Security is an important
design consideration and the mechanisms for it do not assume that the
workstations or the network are secure.  Caching of entire files at
workstations is a key element in this design.

In the latter part of the talk, I will discuss our usage experience
with an initial prototype and the conclusions which led to the
current implementation.  A configuration of about 150 workstations is
in use by more than 500 users at the present time. These numbers are
expected to grow by an order of magnitude over the next two years.

HOST:  PROF. LISKOV