[net.sf-lovers] Tall Tales in a Bar

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (07/19/85)

[The line-eater is an intergalactic plot]

In article <492@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:

>BTW, did those stories by Clarke create the "tall tales in a bar" subgenre,
>or did someone else do it even earlier?

Wasn't James Branch Cabell (correct spelling optional) an earlier SFnal (or
at least fantasy-nal) perpetrator of such stories?

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (07/25/85)

No, James Branch Cabell didn't write a series of tales set in a bar.
You're probably thinking of Arthur C. Clarke.  Cabell wrote a series of
tales set in the fantasy land of Poictesme, later on following the two
families chronicled to Virginia.

--Lee Gold

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (07/29/85)

[The line-eater has moved to APA-L]

In article <2190@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:

>No, James Branch Cabell didn't write a series of tales set in a bar.
>You're probably thinking of Arthur C. Clarke.

Nope, I am well aware of the _White_Hart_ and am sure there was a precursor
in a SFnal or fantasy vein.  If not Cabell, then someone else.  But who??

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

jsc@sun.uucp (James Carrington) (07/29/85)

In article <427@spar.UUCP> freeman@max.UUCP (Jay Freeman) writes:
>In article <2190@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:
>>No, James Branch Cabell didn't write a series of tales set in a bar.
>>You're probably thinking of Arthur C. Clarke.
>Nope, I am well aware of the _White_Hart_ and am sure there was a precursor
>in a SFnal or fantasy vein.  If not Cabell, then someone else.  But who??

Spider Robinson has written several short stories set in "Callahan's
Crosstime Saloon" (the title of one of the anthologys). They are not
precursors to Clarke, however -- they're pretty recent.
--
James Carrington				SUN Microsystems
Associate Engineer				2550 Garcia Ave. MS1-40

wjr@frog.UUCP (Bill Richard) (07/30/85)

[]

> Nope, I am well aware of the _White_Hart_ and am sure there was a precursor
> in a SFnal or fantasy vein.  If not Cabell, then someone else.  But who??
> --
> Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

	I seem to remember seeing somewhere  a book  titled something  like
_Tales from Gavagans Bar_ (sp?). I'm not sure of the author(s) but it might
have been Pohl & Kornbluth. Does this tickle anyones memory?

--
----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

webber@utcs.UUCP (R. D. Webber) (08/02/85)

In article <246@frog.UUCP> wjr@frog.UUCP (Bill Richard) writes:
    Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)

>	I seem to remember seeing somewhere  a book  titled something  like
>_Tales from Gavagans Bar_ (sp?). I'm not sure of the author(s) but it might
>have been Pohl & Kornbluth. Does this tickle anyones memory?
>
>----
>William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems
>983 Concord St. Framingham, MA 01701
>Tel: (617) 626-1112
>uucp: ...!decvax!frog!wjr
The authors were L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt.
                       Bob Webber

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (08/02/85)

In article <246@frog.UUCP> wjr@frog.UUCP (Bill Richard) writes:
>[]
>
>> Nope, I am well aware of the _White_Hart_ and am sure there was a precursor
>> in a SFnal or fantasy vein.  If not Cabell, then someone else.  But who??
>> --
>> Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)
>
>	I seem to remember seeing somewhere  a book  titled something  like
>_Tales from Gavagans Bar_ (sp?). I'm not sure of the author(s) but it might
>have been Pohl & Kornbluth. Does this tickle anyones memory?
>
>William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

	L. Sprauge de Camp & Fletcher Pratt. The complete list of books from
the SF POLL is quite useful for answering questions like this.
Please see my latest update to the Poll.
	greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

lucp@musocs.UUCP (Luc Pinsonneault) (08/06/85)

I have read some short stories about "Tall tales in a bar".

There is also a book titled "Time-travellers pay cash" (by Spider Robinson)
which include such short stories.

lucp