[mod.computers.workstations] Vaxstation/GPX performance

jqj@GVAX.CS.CORNELL.EDU.UUCP (05/11/86)

In article <8605051509.AA09244@CHARON> meltsner@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
writes:
>...  I've seen X on the QDSS (II/GPX display) and it is fast!
>Numbers I got at a DEC road show indicate the GPX can be 2x the
>speed of a Sun 3, even under X.

DEC has made the same claim to us.  The traditional (originally SUN)
bitmap-access demos do seem to run very fast on the GPX.  Does anyone
have concrete performance data comparing the GPX with the SUN-3/160C
for graphics (especially color) operations?  I would be particularly
interested in data including software overhead at higher levels than
raw bitmap access, e.g. GKS polygon fill.

It is clear that the GPX will win for 2-d bitmap rotation (SUN
doesn't support it in hardware unless you buy their coprocessor).  I
woulg guess that the SUN would win big for cpu-intensive graphics
algorithms; does anyone have a hidden-surface-elimination benchmark
or ray casting or something?