[net.sf-lovers] Cuteness -and- Why would aliens come to visit us?

Leban%hp-hulk.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (08/06/85)

From: Bruce <Leban%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

With these two discussions going on at the same time, I'm surprised no
one has made the obvious connection:

	Human beings are so unbearably cute that a visit to this arm of
	the Galaxy wouldn't be complete without taking one of us home as
	a souvenir....

> From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford (Jeff Rogers)
> Might [aliens] take us as slaves, forcing us to create artworks for
> them? Would such a scheme work? Would the kidnapped humans create
> great art? Perhaps so, if suffering contributes to great art. Or would
> they turn out trash? Would the aliens know the difference?

Why not just take the art itself?  It's much more difficult to get a
work of art out of a living artist than out of a museum.  (Assuming you
have sufficiently advanced technology to make our theft prevention
systems a joke.)  Even if they did want to take art, I think it likely
that their idea of art is entirely different than ours.  Maybe their
idea of art is a tomato soup carton.  As if anyone could think that was
art! [:-] Or maybe they would rather have one of those T-shirts that
says "My fluxmate went to Earth and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
-------