Date: Fri, 23 May 86 00:40:39 CDT
From: David Chase <rbbb@rice-titan>
Subject: Use of -J flag with pc, Sun 3, Sun Unix 3.0

There is apparently an undocumented "-J" flag for the pc compiler under
Unix (thus claims one program I have seen).  This flag apparently does
something desirable when used on a Vax, because people use it.  On a Sun 3
running Sun Unix 3.0, this is not the case.  I don't know what this flag's
effect is, but removing it from the makefile produced a program that ran
as expected (in the same as it had under 4.2 on a Vax and on a Sun 2 under
Sun Unix 2.0).

So, (in summary) avoid the undocumented "-J" flag to pc on a Sun 3, and
watch for it when porting code from other Unixes.

David Chase

-----------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 May 86 16:42:03 CDT
From: David Chase <rbbb@rice-titan>
Subject: 3.0 strip mangles 2.0 images

Running 3.0 strip on a 2.0 image mangles the image in such a way that it
doesn't run on 2.0 or 3.0 machines.  3.0 claims a swap problem in
getxfile, i/o error mapping pages, while 2.0 dumps core.

David

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 86 17:51:25 edt
From: cjh%cca-unix.arpa@cca-unix.arpa (Chip Hitchcock)
Subject: write-to-tape locks up system

We had a similar problem with a 2/160 fresh out of the box; I was able to
read the distribution tapes and get a complete system up and running, but
when I ran 'dump' or 'tar c' the system locked, needing to be killed with
L1-A and rebooted. The Sun hardware repairman told us that some portion
of the SCSI control apparatus (I think it was the board on the tape drive
rather than the controller) was missing a resistor net ]chip[ that acted as
a terminator for the control/data cable.

The same problem also showed up with an older 2/120; I was told that the same
solution worked, although it wasn't obvious what had decayed to make the
problem appear. The problem was believed not to have shown up in the first
place because the 2/120 had a Xylogics disk controller, leaving the tape the
only thing on the SCSI controller, while the 2/160 had two disks on the SCSI
controller as well.

-----------------------------

Date: 20 May 1986 0946-PDT (Tuesday)
From: Lance Berc <lance@su-pescadero.arpa>
Subject: Sun stock move

Sun Microsystems Inc. (symbol SunMic) has moved from the NASDQ National
List to the larger National Market listings in the New York Times. I
have no idea what this means.

Scared the !@#$ out of me one morning when I couldn't find it.

lance

-----------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 12:01:49 pdt
From: fluke!pwl@sun.UUCP (Paul Lutt)
Subject: Gnu Emacs Hangs Rlogin

  I have a problem with GNU emacs running under Sun Release 3.0 and I'm
wondering if anyone else has seen this problem as well.  The scenario
is as follows.  I `rlogin' into a remote sun workstation from my
sun-2/120 and start up gnu emacs on the remote machine.  So far,
everything is great.  I then suspend emacs with C-Z or C-X C-Z.  Most
of the time, emacs suspends and my shell prompt appears.  However,
sometimes the window continues to display the emacs screen and acts as
if it is totally ignoring keyboard input.  Neither emacs or shell
commands elicit any sort of visual response.

  Now for the real puzzle.  It turns out that emacs has actually been
suspended and my shell is listening to the keyboard.  I can verify this
by the fact that my commands are appearing in a common history file
shared between all of my `ksh' shells on a given machine.

  In addition, if I type something like "cat /usr/dict/words" into the
stuck window, my local perfmeter shows about 25% cpu usage, even though
I am not executing anything local to my machine.  I suspect the
characters are coming across the tcp connection and being discarded at
my end before they can be displayed.

  If I want an even more dramatic effect, I can `rlogin' into my own
workstation from a window and repeat the exercise.  This time when the
window hangs, the entire suntools environment dies.  The cursor no
longer tracks the mouse and no amount of typing will produce characters
on the display.  The only recourse at this point is to re-boot the
workstation.  Not a very elegant solution, to say the least.

  Note that this only happens over an rlogin link.  Emacs runs just
fine in a local window on my workstation.

  I have only started seeing this problem after we installed Sun
Release 3.0 on our systems.  I have tried running under csh instead of
ksh, with exactly the same results.  I have seen this problem with both
emacs-17.49 and emacs-17.63.

  So the question is:  Am I the only one with this problem or are others
seeing it also?

    Paul Lutt          (206) 356-5059
    John Fluke Mfg. Co.
    P.O. Box C9090  Everett WA  98206
    {allegra,decvax!microsof,ssc-vax,ucbvax!lbl-csam,uw-beaver}!fluke!pwl

-----------------------------

Date: Thu 22 May 86 15:39:03-EDT
From: AppleTalk Interest Group Moderator <Applebus.Directory@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mac, Sun sharing LaserWriter?

Can the Zilog 8530 SCC's on the Sun CPU boards support RS-422 (balanced
line-level) signalling?  It might be useful to run AppleTalk on a Sun.
It will make a nice AppleTalk/Ethernet gateway as well as a bridge between
NFS, EFS, and Apple's Filing Protocol.

					- Ralph

-----------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 22:58:09 EDT
From: Mark Weiser <mark@mimsy.umd.edu>
Subject: 68020 piggy-back?

Has anyone tried a version of the commercial piggy-back upgrades from 68010
to x68020 on a Sun-2?  I'm thinking of the CSA board, for instance, which
works on Amigas.  Any experience with this for Suns?  Why won't it work?
-mark

-----------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 May 86 15:48:30 pdt
From: elroy!smeagol!gorbag!brandt@csvax.caltech.edu (Jon Brandt)
Subject: Problem using SunCore graphics and SunTools

	I am trying to use the SunCore (2.0) graphics package to write a
simple-minded graphics editor.  I had hoped to encapsulate the
editor as a SunTool using several different subwindows.  In particular,
I had hoped to open two empty subwindows and assign a separate SunCore view
surface to each of the subwindows.  To accomplish this, I set
the environment variable WINDOW_GFX via we_setgfxwindow() to the name of
the desired subwindow for the view surface and then initialized the view
surface to use the pixwindd device driver.  Then I changed the WINDOW_GFX
variable to the name of the second subwindow and initialized the second
view surface.

	This worked fine for the first view surface but failed for the second.
Instead of getting the view surface blanket on the second subwindow,
a CoreTool came up with the desired view surface even though the WINDOW_GFX
environment variable was changed correctly.  Apparently the
initialize_view_surface() call is detecting that the parent/owner (?)
window is already in use by SunCore and preventing me from initializing
separate view surfaces as subwindows on the same Tool.

	My question is this: Does SunCore allow you to use the same
parent window to initialize two separate view surfaces or not?  If
it is possible (it ought to be) I'd like to know how.  Please reply
via email, as I do not read this newsgroup.

	Jon Brandt
	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!brandt
	ARPA: elroy!smeagol!brandt@csvax.caltech.edu

-----------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 May 86 17:06:29 est
From: munnari!csadfa.cs.adfa.oz!gyp@seismo.CSS.GOV (Patrick Tang)
Subject: Real-time 3D simulation

 	Does anyone has ever done any real-time 3D simulation using
	SUN3 or Apollo? Please give details. Thanks.

--

Tang Guan Yaw/PatricK		 ISD:	+61 62 68 8170
Dept. Computer Science		 STD:	(062) 68 8170

-----------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 86 18:42:14 EDT
From: Michael.Hall@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Conway's Life

On the Suns I have access to here at Carnegie-Mellon, there is documentation
and even an icon for Conway's "game" of Life, but there is no code. Is there
someone out there who has it who would be kind enough to send it so me?

Michael Hall
Undergraduate Programmer
Carnegie-Mellon University
hall@ius1.cs.cmu.edu

-----------------------------

Date:     Thu, 22 May 86 9:38:28 Real Time
From: Nick Dunlavey <nickd%cs.qmc.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject:  Request for Sun-2 / Sun-3 NFS information

Can anyone give me some information about the problems
encountered when using NFS with a mixture of Sun-2 and Sun-3
machines?

I currently have a Sun-2/120 running V2.0, and am about to be
handed (at least) a Sun-3 (obviously running V3.0), andpossibly
another Sun-3.

The Sun-2 currently has 2Mb, with a 40Mb disc, about to be
upgraded to a 70Mb disc.   The spec of the Sun-3 has yet to be
agreed, but 4Mb + 130Mb disc seems likely.

I have heard rumours that certain 2.xx version of Sun Unix give
real problems when using NFS with Sun-3 machines.
Nick Dunlavey
nickd@qmc-cs.uucp                                       UUCP
...!ukc!{root44,wcwvax,kcl-cs,qmc-ori}!qmc-cs!nickd     OLD UUCP
nickd@cs.qmc.ac.uk or nickd@uk.ac.qmc.cs                JANET

End of SUN-Spots Digest