Date: Thu, 10 Jul 86 09:20:46 PDT
From: gerolima@Ford-wdl1.ARPA (Mark Gerolimatos)
Subject: Oh! How I miss TOOLIO!

Now that Suntool is giving way to Sunview (sob!), I think we should
all reflect back on all those wonderful structures and pointers
that we grew to love. You know, the ones with the unpronouncable (sp?)
names.

I just don't know how I'll ever be able to write a windowing application
without setting "toolsw->ts_io.tio_handlesigwinch" or without incanting
the magical phrase "*ibits = *obits = *ebits = 0" in the
"toolsw->ts_io.tio_selected" routine.

Those were some of my favorites. I'll never miss them (can you say
input_imnull? Sure. I knew you could!).

-Mark

-----------------------------

Date:  8 Jul 1986 13:07-EDT
From: Ralph.Hyre@ius2.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Need patch for dbx (Sun-3/160) [urgent]

The symbol table size is too small for a system we're developing with
'too many' subroutines, so we need to increase it.

Sources would be most helpful, diffs or patches we can apply using any debugger
(adb,sdb,dbx?) would be welcome too.

					- Ralph

-----------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 86 15:45:23 PDT
From: sdcarl!otto@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Otto A. Gygax)
Subject: CADroid library

I am looking for CADroid board definitions with regard to VMEbus specs.
and possibly related connector and component libraries.
Any CADroid user willing to share and establish a trade of library
definitions with us or among other users, please reply to

Otto Gygax

University of California, San Diego
Center for Music Experiment Q-037
La Jolla, Ca. 92093

619-534-0183
{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!otto

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 86 19:29:49 EDT
From: cjh@CCA.CCA.COM (Chip Hitchcock)
Subject: fps

   Has anyone gotten fps (fast version of ps, by Royappa at Purdue) to work
completely on a Sun? I find that "fps ax" (or even simple fps if I'm root)
frequently gets one or more msgs of the form
	fps: cant read u for pid NN from /dev/drum
. I can see that what's happening is fps is somehow not getting hold of
processes that are swapped out (at low loads, most of the PID's are in the
range 60< NN < 100, corresponding (according to ps) to processes that are
started at boot time and trivial amounts of CPU), but I don't know nearly
enough about C, architecture, etc. to understand why this loses on a Sun and
not a VAX and whether anything can be done about it.

	CHip (Chip Hitchcock)
				             SUSHIDO   --   the way of the tuna
ARPA: CJH@CCA.CCA.COM
uu: ...!{linus, seismo!harvard, cbosgd, caip!think}!cca!cjh

-----------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 86 15:34:56 EDT
From: scott@mitre-gateway.arpa (John A. Scott@vlsi-a)
Subject: Generic SMD disks on a SUN3

Has anyone got any experience putting non-eagle SMD drives on a SUN
using a Xylogics 450 controller.  I've got a CDC drive just burning a
hole in my machine room floor that I would love to connect to the SUN.

So far, my luck with the drive has been all bad.  It seems that the
SMD interface used by the eagle and that used by the CDC drive is
not the same (everyone should have at least one standard, namely their own).

ANY information, good or bad, is welcome.

		John <scott@mitre-gateway.arpa>

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 86 18:18:25 -0100
From: Richard Tobin <richard%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: tty read errors

when starting up a shell window, we often get error messages
   'Read error -- errno=5'
and a 'reset tty pgrp' message.  the window is thereafter unusable, giving
similar messages every few characters.  sometimes (it appears not always)
there is found to be another shell running on the same pseudo-terminal.
(it happens on both sun2/rel2 and sun3/rel3.)

is this a known pty bug?  is there a fix?

Richard Tobin,                      JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.edinburgh
AI Applications Institute,          ARPA:  R.Tobin@uk.ac.edinburgh@ucl-cs.arpa
Edinburgh University.               UUCP:  ...!ukc!edinburgh.ac.uk!R.Tobin

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 86 14:28:33 edt
From: seismo!allegra!phri!roy@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU (Roy Smith)
Subject: Problems with arp?

	Recently I changed the name of one of our Sun-3's (running Sun 3.0;
we've also got a Vax-11/750 running 4.2bsd on the same ethernet, for
whatever that may be worth).  What used to be called "a" is now "alanine".
To make this change, I edited /etc/{hosts,ethers} on the master yp server
(wombat), ran ypmake, and edited nd.local on alanine's ND server (goober,
also a slave yp server).  I also edited /etc/rc.boot on alanine to change
the "hostname=" line.  Ever since then, strange things have been going on.

	If I try to reboot alanine, it hangs with "tftp timeout" until I
run "/etc/nd < /etc/nd.local" on it's ND server again.  Alternately, I can
do an "arp -d alanine" on goober and that allows the boot to continue.
There definately seems to be something wrong with arp.  For example,
looking at goober's arp table right now:

goober% /etc/arp -a
glutamine (192.9.200.16) at 8:0:20:1:ff:f5
wombat (192.9.200.1) at 8:0:20:1:4f:2b temporary
glycine (192.9.200.17) at 8:0:20:1:ff:f6
histidine (192.9.200.18) at 8:0:20:1:ff:f3
uracil (192.9.200.6) at 8:0:20:1:5e:30 temporary
clone (192.9.200.11) at 8:0:20:1:47:ed
alanine (192.9.200.12) at a:0:0:0:0:0     <====== this is not kosher!
arginine (192.9.200.13) at a:0:0:0:0:0    <====== neither is this!
asparagine (192.9.200.14) at 8:0:20:1:5e:96
cysteine (192.9.200.15) at 8:0:20:1:ff:f4

	Arginine is a new machine which came on-line after the alanine name
change.  Not terribly unexpectedly, I can't do an rlogin from arginine to
alanine, or vice versa -- I get "Connection timed out".  I can, however,
rlogin to goober (or any of a number of other intermediate machines) and
then rlogin to the previously unreachable host.  Even stranger, if I do an
"/etc/arp -a" on arginine, I get the following:

arginine% /etc/arp -a
wombat (192.9.200.1) at 8:0:20:1:4f:2b temporary
goober (192.9.200.10) at 8:0:20:1:4f:5d temporary
alanine (192.9.200.12) at (incomplete) temporary

	So, what did I do wrong?

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 86 01:12:25 PDT
From: fluke!jeff@uw-beaver.arpa (Jeff Stearns)
Subject: Simulating kernel memory mapping

OK, hackers, can anyone out there correctly describe the function
which simulates kernel memory mapping on a sun-2 (and a sun-3)
running release 3.0?

In other words:  Suppose you have a keen program which pokes around
in memory to decode some interesting kernel data structures.
Your program nlists /vmunix to build a symbol table of kernel addresses.
It uses these as seek offsets into /dev/kmem to read the data.

Then one day you realize that it would be very valuable to run your
program to perform an autopsy on a crashed system.

So now you have a vmcore file.  There is a mapping function whereby
your program's kernel addresses can be mapped into seek offsets
into this vmcore file.

What is this function?  You have 30 minutes.

Hint:  It is NOT the same as that which works for 4.2BSD on a vax.

    Jeff Stearns	John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.	(206) 356-5064
    {uw-beaver, decvax!microsoft, ucbvax!lbl-csam, allegra, sun}!fluke!jeff

-----------------------------

Date:  2 Jul 1986 18:00:51 EDT
From: Pettibone Fauntleroy Pierpont XII <MMDA@USC-ISI.ARPA>
Subject: Request for "V" system info?

I'm looking for information regarding Stanford University's "V" System
real-time operating system for Suns.  We'd like to consider this as part
of the vision system for the ALV (Autonomous Land Vehicle) project at
Martin Marietta Denver Aerospace.  I'd appreciate any information about
implementations of "V" on Sun II and III, and general comments from users.
Thanks in advance!

			Matthew Turk
			mmda@usc-isi

		or call George Celvi (303) 977-6120