Date: Fri 14 Feb 86 19:19:01-PST
From: Lincoln Ong <G.Ong@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Pascal compiler choice

I would like to know if anyone has tried TML Pascal and could answer
the following questions:

  - How compatible is it with MacPascal and Lisa Pascal

  - Code size and execution time of benchmark programs

  - Have you encountered any bugs with it

I am considering buying TML Pascal; the ads for the product look
good, maybe a bit too good.  Would I do better by getting TurboPascal
(if it is available!).  I am currently using MacPascal and am
getting sick of encountering bugs -- I want to get a good Pascal
compiler that will work.

					thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 86 21:35:50 PST
From: korn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn)
Subject: Re: INFO-MAC Digest   V4 #8

In article <8602150259.AA01333@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> you write:
>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 86 14:57:03 est
>From: dave%UPenn-Grasp%upenn.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
>Subject: S-100 Appletalk card
>
>I have my Mac connected to a multi-user system running a Unix work-similar.
>I very quickly found that MacTerminal couldn't possibly run at a full 9600
>baud.  That is, even though the port was functioning at 9600 baud, some-
>thing was slowing it down anyway.  The fastest practical speed was about
>half that, or 4800 baud.
>..................................................... I will feel pretty
>silly about my investment in a Mac if, with it's high-speed appletalk buss,
>it can't even handle RS-232 at 9600 baud!
>
>			Thanks ebullient,
>
>			David Abrahams

Try the new serial driver, SERD, in one of the many software updates from
apple.  Perhaps one of the archives can get permission to post it.  UW
is designed to work with it, and there is a noticable speedup.

-----
Peter Korn	korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU     {dual,dscvax,sdcsvax}!ucbvax!korn

------------------------------

Date: 09 Aug 85 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: Finder 5.0 and XL

I have an XL (aka Lisa) and am able to run Finder V5.0 on it
with no trouble.  However, I have been unable to figure out
how to init the hard disk as an HFS volume.  However, it is
still worth your time to put Finder 5.0 on the disk "flat" because
it offers an increase in speed over 4.1  Finder 5.1B17 (the
version that came with our Mac Plus) crashes an XL.  Beware.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

------------------------------

Date: 09 Aug 85 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: Deep ROM

I'm not quite sure what it is you are complaining about, but
I have yet to have any problems with compatability with the new
ROMs.  There IS an alternate screen buffer in the Mac Plus,
in fact, aside from the SCSI port and the meg of memory and
the ROMs and new Drives, the machine is the same as it was
before.  I have yet to find many programs that dont work well
with it, and most of those that have troubles are due to an
incompatability with HFS and not the ROMs.  In addition,
there is a patch program out there that modifies the HFS
so that many programs will search down directory paths automatically.
It's not perfect, but it helps sometimes.  I would be very surprised
to hear that major software products do not work with the Mac Plus.

And as for games, all of the one's I have tried work just fine.
Many games out there DO bypass quickdraw, but they do it by
writting directly to screen memory that is pointed to by set
locations.  This is the way to do it, rather than hardcoding
some screen address.  You can get very acceptable speed out
of a game just using bit copy operations into the BitMap in
this way without having to resort to the alternate screen buffer.
However, if any of these games DO use the alternate screen
buffer, they will still work fine on a Mac Plus.

My software booted and ran the first time I tried it, but then
again I'm not doing any of the "no-no's" that Apple had warned
us about.  I would say, in general, that the Mac Plus is a hell
of alot more compatable with the Mac than an XL running MacWorks
is, but then again, why shouldnt it be, after all, its basically
the SAME machine.

Like I said, I'm not quite sure what you are complaining about,
and would sort of urge you to "look before you leap" in passing
judgements on hardware you haven't seen.

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 86 18:19:30 cst
From: rackow@anl-mcs.ARPA (Gene Rackow)
Subject: Request info on How to save postscript files.

I have a Mac and several LaserWriters.  My problem is that the LW's are
being used on my Vax 11/780 Unix 4.2bsd system.  What I want to be able
to do is save MacPaint/Draw/Write etc. Docs in the postscript form, then
transfer them to the Vax print spooler.  The Mac is not that heavily used
to require a LW by itself.  Also since the Mac is "portable" I want to be
able to move it to the office of the person using it and still be able to
access the printers.

This does not seem unreasonable but I cannot get an answer from Apple.  If
anyone has an idea please mail me.  There are several groups awaiting a
solution to this problem.

Thanks

Gene Rackow                              ARPA: rackow@anl-mcs
Mathematics and Computer Science         Voice: 312-972-7126
Argonne National Lab
Argonne Il.  60439

------------------------------

Date: 09 Aug 85 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Who am I?

Does anyone know how one makes an application find out its own
name?  (ie, where is the name of the current application stored)
I'm using this to determine some file locations, and it would help
to know what my application is currently named on the disk.

Date: 14 Feb 86 23:09 EDT
From: (David HM Spector) <SPECTOR@NYU-ACF7.ARPA>
Subject: Error in the Addison-Wesley edition of Inside Macintosh

Those of you who have the published version of Inside Macintosh might like to
know that page II-73 ( the second page of the summary of the the OS event man-
ager) is duplicated on page II-91 (in the middle of the High-Level File Manager)
I don't think its just in my copy, 'cause page II-92 is correct... i.e., is
part of the file manager quide.  Does anyone know what is supposed to be
on this page (if its different than my other two copies of IM, the
3 volume binder set, or the Phone Book??)??

Is Addison-Wesley going to send us an errata sheet?

				David.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 17 Feb 86 14:40:14 EST
From: john (bonnie john) @ a.psy.cmu.edu
Subject: keystroke data program

I am looking for a program that runs on a Mac that would allow me to
collect all keystrokes, timestamped with at least millisecond accuracy,
made by Logo users.  I envision a program that sits "behind" any other
application, like Logo, and records the keystrokes, but I would also
be happy with a version of Logo that has a "dribble" command that also
timestamps.

Any pointers to software, commercially available, educational, or privately
available, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bonnie E. John
           Graduate Student in Psychology
           Carnegie-Mellon University
           john@a.psy.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 1986 16:37:47-EST
From: Bob.Walker@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU
Subject: apple technical notes

Does anyone have list indicating what's in each of them?  Sure would make it
easier to find out which ones you want to pull over and print...

        - bob

        Bob.Walker@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon 17 Feb 86 17:47:05-EST
From: WEINSTEIN@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Using the standard file package with resource files

resource file on a specific volume when the volume reference ID is known
from a standard file-dialog, which is difficult because the OpenResFile trap
does not take a voluem reference number, the easiest way to do this is
simply save the current default volume, change the default volume to the
volume with the specified reference ID, open the resource file, and then
restore the original default volume.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 17 Feb 86 17:50:12-EST
From: WEINSTEIN@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Finding out what the current text selection is

To find out what the current text selection is (so that one can, for instance,
run it through a spelling checker):

If the TextEdit package is being used, install a hook on the DoText routine
or one of the text edit traps that will enable you to keep track of the
last-used text edit record. Then, simply look in it to find the selection range!

If the core edit package is being used, simply look in the current edit record,
referenced off of low mem (Core Edit is available from Apple under separate
license, and you will need their documentation -- fortunatley, it is only
$50 a year). However, you will only be able to watch one paragraph at a time.

------------------------------

Date: 17 feb 86 10:06-GVA
From: BGT.WB%GEN.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: BITNET mail follows

From:  Bruce Taylor <BGT.WB@GEN.BITNET>
Subject:  VMEbus and CAMAC Interfaces for Macintosh Plus

The MacVEE (Microcomputer Applied to the Control of VME Electronic
Equipment) system developed by CERN (The European Organization for Nuclear
Research) has now been implemented with Macintosh Plus.  The new
configuration, which provides direct memory-mapped access to multiple
VMEbus or CAMAC crates, is called MacVEE Plus.

There are minor changes to the installation procedure compared with MacVEE,
and the 'emmental' PROM on MacPlinth has to be programmed to accommodate
the address map differences.  Over 11.5 Mbytes in each of up to 8 VME
crates remain directly accessible by the 68000 of the Macintosh Plus, while
access to Mac-CC CAMAC crate controllers is unaffected by the change of
computer.

Existing MacVEE systems can be upgraded to MacVEE Plus, but users should
ensure that the programming languages and development tools they require
are available in Macintosh Plus versions before making the change.

The latest version of the MacVEE User Manual is available to professional
researchers from:

B.G. Taylor,  EP Division,  CERN,  1211 Geneva 23,  Switzerland.

Bitnet:  BGT.WB@GEN
Arpanet:  BGT.WB%GEN.BITNET@WISCVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue 18 Feb 86 07:48:39-PST
From: Bill Berner <BERNER@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

I run a computer cluster for the School of Engineering.

I am trying to compile a mailing list of other cluster managers so
that we can ask each other for advice about hardware/software,
strategies, etc.  I have even considered putting out a newsletter.

If you are a cluster manager, and you think that this would be useful,
please send me your name and E-Mail address.  If you aren't a cluster
manager, but know one (or of one), please forward this message to
them.

Thanks.

Bill Berner
Terman Microcomputer Cluster Manager