Date: Fri 28 Feb 86 13:59:55-PST
From: William J. Berner <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Switcher 4.6, Inside Mac Page

I have removed UTILITY-SWITCHER-46.HQX from <INFO-MAC> because
it was not at all clear to me whether or not we should be distributing
it.  (I don't believe that it is PD any longer, and I've heard that
Apple doesn't want it distributed).

In the future, I will be more careful about what I post and what I do
not post, but please (please) be careful about making sure that what
you post can be distributed legally.

Bill Berner
Moderator

Mail complaints to SantaClaus@NorthPole.Arpa :-)

------------------------------

Date: 28 Feb 86 12:32:21 EST (Friday)
From: Paton.WBST@Xerox.COM
Subject: ETH Modula-2 Compiler

     I currently have version 0.0 of the ETHZ Modula-2 compiler, and
some questions:
     1.     Is there a later version available?
     2.     Where are the Standard Function Procedures, such as MIN and
MAX?
     3.     Since Nicklaus P. Wirth is, or was recently at ETHZ, why did
they use        non-standard naming conventions, such as Terminal
instead of InOut, etc.?

--Art

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Feb 1986 14:45:23 EST
From: <OBRIEN@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Finder 4.1 Possessed!

   Last night I found a STRANGE Finder 4.1 feature.  I don't remember the
exact circumstances, but I was working with three disks (on a two-drive
system), moving some files around.  After ejecting disk #1 from the
internal drive, and inserting disk #3, I ejected #2 from the external
drive and put #1 in there, and ejected #3 from the internal drive
(so disk #1 was in the external, and the other two disks were ejected).
Like I say, I don't remember the EXACT circumstances, but that's pretty
close to what I did.
   Anyway, after doing this, the grayed-out disk icons for #2 & #3
started alternately blinking about twice a second, selecting and de-
selecting themselves.  I opened up the disk windows, and the icons in
each window were blinking, too.  Within a window, the files split into
two groups, and the groups blinked alternately.  Very disturbing.
   I reinserted disk #2 (or #3) and the silliness stopped.  Ejecting it
started the blinking tic again.  At this point, I started to suspect
demonic possession, and reached for the reset switch with a trembling
hand.
   This sounds like it's vaguely related to the white-new-folder-on-
an-ejected-disk problem.  Has anyone else seen this one, or know what
might cause it?

                                       -- Tom O'Brien

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Feb 1986 14:06:57 EST
From: <OBRIEN@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Ethernet<-->AppleTalk?  Ethernet<-->Mac?

   Has anyone heard of an AppleTalk/Ethernet or Mac/Ethernet (direct)
connection?  Any information about present or proposed systems (present
ones preferred, obviously) would be appreciated.  Someone here at Lincoln
wants to get a bunch of Macs and network them with their Symbolicses.
(Symbolicsi? Symbolicsim?...)  Thanks.

                                       -- Tom O'Brien

[FROM MODERATOR]
	Several companies make Mac/Ethernet connections.

	Lutzky-Baird Associates markets the Ultra-Office system, which allows
	Macintoshes and IBM PCs to network with UNIX host processors.
	All of the machines use a common mailing system, and the host
	processor can act as a file server and a print spooler.
		Lutzky-Baird
		5601 Slauson Ave
		Suite 222
		Culver City, CA 90230
		(213) 649-3570

	Kinetics (Somewhere in the East Bay (Northern CA, I don't have
	an address) also markets an appletalk/Ethernet bridge.

	Sunol Systems (487 Quarry Lane, Pleasanton, CA  94566) also markets
	an Appletalk/PC Networking system that can hook up to an Ethernet or
	other LAN.

	Finally, Centram (2372 Ellsworth Ave, Berkeley, CA  94705) markets
	the TOPS system, which does something similar to the above.

	Here at Stanford, I am extremeley interested in getting some kind of
	Appletalk/Ethernet Bridge setup, but because of lack of funds, things
	have been rather slow going.  Still, if anyone has any info about
	the quality of any of these systems, I would appreciate it if you
	could mail me a review.  (Berner@SU-SUSHI.ARPA)

[END OF NOTE FROM MODERATOR]

------------------------------

Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 86 16:38 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Tech Note 48 - Bundles

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>TN48.HQX
-BB]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 86 19:38:27 est
From: kalagher@mitre.ARPA (Richard Kalagher)
Subject: poor man's mini 8 cable

I am sending this message on a Mac-plus using the mini-8 modem port without
a connector.  If you are careful, you can strip about a quater inch off
of the end of a wire and stuff it into the connector holes on the Mac
Plus.  I am using some fairly stiff four conductor cable from Radio Shack.
The following connections seem to be working for my modem (a Ven-Tel):

Mac Plus DIN-8                   Stnd RS-232 Connector

      1                                 20
      3                                 2
      4                                 7
      5                                 3

The Mac Plus DIN-8 looks as followers:

    8  7  6
  5   4  3
     2  1
This is of course not good engineering practice and I take no responsibility
if you Zap something.  But if you are careful and can't wait however long
it will take to get a real cable, this might substitute.  Good luck.

End of INFO-MAC Digest