Date: Fri 28 Feb 86 21:55:16-EST
From: Edward A. Hoffman <EN4.EA-HOFFMAN@CU20A.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Problem with Font/DA Mover 3.0

I had a simillar problem (although I'm not sure if it was exactly the same
error message) when I tried to load fonts onto the system volume of a Tecmar
using my 128K Mac.  As it turned out the drive was defective; however, perhaps
this info can help someone figure out what the problem is.

By the way, I have run into some problems with my Tecmar's print spooler.  It
behaves as though the file is being printed (i.e.  appears to send the file
on its way, and does not give me an error message) but the printer does not
receive the file.  Is this because I have a 128K Mac?  Is there anything I can
do without upgrading to a 512K?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx.

Edward A. Hoffman
Student (Engineering)
Columbia University
EN4.EA-HOFFMAN@CU20A    (BITnet or CCnet)

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 86 10:20:13 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest Vol 2 #12

Usenet Mac Digest          Sunday, 2 Mar 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 12

Today's Topics:
     Production problem with Mac Plus
     Re: Who Misses Older Drives? (Re: write protect tab)
     Request - Dialog Boxes in MacPascal & MacPascal Libraries
     Re: Very large screen for mac for partially sighted child
     Microsoft File and Error in Datafile
     Re: Very large screen for mac
     Trashed hard disks
     Disk drive suggestions and questions
     Info wanted on 3 software packages
     TMON advisability?
     Wanted: Appletalk Libraries for Mac C
     RamStart v1.21 and the Mac+
[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-12.ARC
--BB]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 15:02:55 est
From: mex107@mitre.ARPA (Michael Leavitt)
Subject: Dungeons of Doom V 3

I've just received a note that the game "Dungeons of Doom" (shareware) is now
available in Version 3.0.  Does anyone have a copy that they would be willing to
send to a "legal owner?"  Actually, as shareware, you could even post it to
Info-Mac, too.  Many thanks for the help.

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1986 16:58 EST
From: Dave Elbon  <SYSDAVE%UKCC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Mac Plus Keyboard & MacTerminal

When using MacTerminal from an old Mac keyboard, pressing Command-Enter
caused the Answerback string to be sent.  This doesn't work with the new
Mac Plus keyboard.  Is there another keyboard sequence that will do this?
Acknowledge-To: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@UKCC>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 16:05:22 CST
From: tcheng@b.CS.UIUC.EDU (David Tcheng)
Subject: 8xDX-7 + Machintosh = fun

Hi.

Am a grad student at the U of I working with Sal Maritino on a computer music
project.  We are trying to create a real time performance machine consisting of
a Yamaha TX816 (the equivalent of 8 DX-7s), a QX-1 sequencer/editor, and a
Machintosh computer with a MIDI interface.  The system would be driven by an AI
music program written in Le_Lisp.  We have just gotten the equipment
and would like to have a working system by October (we have a gig scheduled in
Paris).

Both Sal and I are novices with the Mac and have many questions for those who
have ears to hear and the heart to respond.  Specifically:

		- Does a compiler exist for Le_Lisp yet?  If so how can we get it?

		- Since the whole system will be controlled by a single performer in
		  real time we are looking for the optimal way of geting information
		  from the composer to the computer.  What forms of Machintosh
		  peripherals would be useful?  We are considering such devices as
		  graphics touch pads, lite pens, touch sensitive displays,  etc.
		  Any pointers to such devices would be appreciated.

		- Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

					Dave Tcheng

					ARPA-NET:  tcheng@uiuccsb
					Home:      (217) 344-1711
					Address:   802 W. Green, #105
							 Urbana, Il  61801

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 86 19:50:23 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest Vol 2 #8

Delphi Mac Digest          Sunday, 2 Mar 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 8

Today's Topics:
     Silicon Press
     SF{Get,Put}File programming
     Control in Dialog
     RE: Memory initialization; crash recovery.

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-8.ARC
--BB]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 1 Mar 86 12:52:24-PST
From: michael tchao <TCHAO@SU-SUSHI.ARPA>
Subject: Could you please forward this to the net...

The Official Word on Swithcer 4.6

Chris Espinosa, Product Manager of System Software at Apple told me
yesterday that Apple has not released Switcher 4.6 for distribution as
public domain software.  Apple's legal department is currently
completing the paperwork necessary to release Switcher for testing.
Until that time, Switcher should NOT be distributed freely.

Michael Tchao
Macintosh Product Coordinator
Apple Computer, Inc.

[NOTE FROM MODERATOR]
	I took switcher off of <info-mac> yesterday, but I thought that
	this would end the confusion once and for all!
[END OF NOTE]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 19:13:55 pst
From: ed191-ba%ucblilac@BERKELEY.EDU (Michael C. Greenspon)
Subject: Cheap Appletalk for Two Machines?

Rumor has it that one can connect a Mac and a Mac XL (or two Macs, or a Mac
and a Laserwriter, or ...) with a straight cable, instead of using the
expensive Appletalk cable from Apple.

Could someone please supply a pinout for a db25-db9 cable for Mac XL <-> Mac?
I'd really appreciate it; I'm not sure where to find this information.

Thanks,

--Michael		ed191-ba%ucblilac@Berkeley.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sun 2 Mar 86 03:29:23-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@TE.CC.CMU.EDU>
Subject: LaserWriter/AppleTalk Protocols

        Can anyone tell me what exactly goes on when an AppleTalk Macintosh
sends a print request to the LaserWriter? How does the LaserWriter respond to
indicate that it is ready and available to print, or it is busy, or whatever?

I am writing print server/spooler software and I NEED to know this stuff.

Richard Siegel
RS4U@te.cc.cmu.edu

------------------------------

From: Barry Leiner <leiner@RIACS.ARPA>
Date: 2 Mar 1986 1742-PST (Sunday)
Subject: MIDI interface

The following is a request from my brother.  Help is appreciated.
Please reply to me directly.  Thank you.

(By the way, this is a message lifted off the BBS of teh Association of
Apple Users, centered in Santa Clara, CA.)

Barry Leiner

-----------------------------

Msg. #522 in **General News** Posted on 02/23/86 at 20:40:19

To: ALL   From: DAVE LEINER

Subject: MIDI

I just picked up a Casio CZ-101 Synthesizer and a MidiMac interface.  I

haven't bought any MIDI software yet.  Are there any other MIDI users out

there?  I sure would appreciate some advice on which software to get.

Also, is there any simple software that would let me select rhythms and

chords on the Mac while playing on the keyboard, in the same way you can

select accompaniments on many of the inexpensive manual keyboards?

                                        Dave

Msg. #615 in **General News** Posted on 03/01/86 at 16:08:57

To: ALL   From: DAVE LEINER

I was trying to interface to my OpCode MIDI port using MS Basic, and

whenever I opened the COM1 file to talk to the port, the system locked up

thereafter as long as the hardware interface was hooked up.  Anyone have

any idea how to talk to the interface from Basic (or other language)?

                                        Dave

End of INFO-MAC Digest