[mod.computers.macintosh] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #23

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator William J. Berner) (03/04/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 4 Mar 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
                        New version of Mockwrite?
                          The Macintosh Journal
                            AppleTalk Drivers
                               Bit Copiers
                                Fractals
                          Tech Note 47 - SFGet
                      2 cables that work with MAC +
           Oops! Here the FULL "Volumes" Binhexed PackIt file!
                      RedRyder VT emulation problem
                                PackIt II
                     LaserWriter/AppleTalk protocols
                         CrashSaver explanation
                      Cheap AppleTalk interfacing.
                           Pinouts, continued
                               DA Runners

Date: Mon,  3 Mar 86 03:51:58 EST
From: "Michael C. Adler" <MADLER@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: New version of Mockwrite?

I have seen references to a new "official" version of Mockwrite for HFS.
Is someone who has a copy willing to upload it to sumex?
Thanks,
-Michael

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 08:36:50 est
From: bdmrrr!rudy@seismo.CSS.GOV (Scott W. Rudy III)
Subject: The Macintosh Journal

I just received my complementary first issue of The Macintosh Journal.  It is
unique in that there are no advertisements.  They claim to be candid in their
software reviews and "totally dependent" on the users (subscribers).

The magazine seems to be thin (45 pages), but other Mac mags first issues
have also been thin.  A year subscription is $30 (10 issues).

Any comments on quality? Would you subscribe? Is cost too much?

I was a subscriber to MacWorld, but I am now a devoted reader (and subscriber)
of MacUser - I think it is the best.

------------------------------

Date: 03 Feb 86 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: AppleTalk Drivers

I am in the process of writting a program that requires using
AppleTalk in a "broadcast" mode, so I need to use the lower
Level (ALAP) protocols.  Does anyone have copies of the header
files needed and/or the source code to the routines themselves
that i need?  I am using MegaMax C.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 86 11:38 GMT
From: Ralph <MartinRR%multics.cardiff.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Bit Copiers

Does anyone have a public domain or shareware bit copier they would be
willing to mail me a .hqx file of ?  (Or perhaps send it for archiving
at sumex).I have tried SuperCopy, but that doesnt seem to work too well.
My real problem is that I want to make a back-up copy of my MacPascal
disk, as I find it a real pain to have to take it back to the shop every
time I throw the wrong thing away by mistake, or my cruddy disk drive
renders it unreadable.  I do not intend to breach copyright, just make
things easier for myself.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 16:28:08 PST
From: chavez%cory@BERKELEY.EDU (Thomas M. Chavez)
Subject: Fractals

Does anyone have the source (BASIC, C, or whatever) for any good fractal pro-
grams?  I remember seeing some nice fractal programs on the net a while ago
and didn't bother to write down the authors' names, but now that I am in
a graphics class, it would be nice to just update someone's code rather than
re-invent the wheel!

Thanks,
Tom Chavez
chavez@cory.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 18:08 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Tech Note 47 - SFGet

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>TN47.HQX
--BB]

------------------------------

From: Barry Leiner <leiner@RIACS.ARPA>
Date: 3 Mar 1986 1416-PST (Monday)
Subject: 2 cables that work with MAC +

After a great deal of aggravation of dealing with dealers and trying to
get correct information (as opposed to information), I made the
following cables and they work. Caveat emptor

1. cable to connect MAC + to imagewriter I

DIN8	DB25	signal name

2	20	DTR/HSK
3	3	Xmit
4	7	signal ground
5	2	Rcv
8-jumpered to 4 on DIN8

2. cable to connect MAC + to modem (Prometheus)

DIN8	DB25	signal name

1	5	CTS
3	2	Xmit
4	7	signal ground
5	3	RCV
8-jumpered to 4 on DIN8

------------------------------

Comments:

a. I chose to actually jumper the DIN8 connector.  Hard to do, but not
impossible.

b. Much of the confusion comes from the fact that the MAC+ signal names
are those of a DTE (so far, so good) but the printer is also a DTE.
HOwever a modem is normally a DCE. Hence the cables have to be
different.

c. The pins used on the DB25 connectors are those used on the original
cables that came with my MAC (not +).

d. Note that this cable requires only 4-wire connector (which was all I
had laying around).

Barry Leiner

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Mar 86 11:08:36-MST
From: Tony Jacobs <T-JACOBS@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Oops! Here the FULL "Volumes" Binhexed PackIt file!

Heres the Volumes.pit Binhex file

[ARCHIVED IN [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>VOLUMES.HQX
--BB]

------------------------------

Subject: RedRyder VT emulation problem
Date: 03 Mar 86 13:19:01 PST (Mon)
From: K Gregory <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

I am having a problem with extra spaces appearing in files I look at using
Red Ryder 7.0 in VT52 emulation mode (VT100 seems to have the same problem).
I am using it to directly connect (9600 baud) to a Vax running Berkeley 4.2
Unix.

I tried slowing down the baud rate to 1200 and even 300 and that did not help.

This problem does not appear when listing mail messages or in simple listings.

It does appear when I try to read formatted files (rather than simple ASCII)
such as manual entries (wide spaces appear intermittently).  It also appears
when I run rogue or hack.  On the tombstone, the spacing if off, and the
message line at the top sometimes introduces extra spaces.  THE PROBLEM
SPACES ARE CONSISTENT.  In others words, the tombstone always misprints and
always by the same amount. (about 2 spaces and doesn't center the text
properly.)  The same too large spaces appear in reading manuals.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or what to do about it?

Thanks,
Kathleen Huddleston <Gregory@UCI.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 86 23:12:46 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: PackIt II

[ From Delphi.  NOTE: This new version has the ability to (optionally)
  compress files (non-compressed files are compatible with the old
  version.  All future postings from me will be compressed. - Jeff ]

Name: PACKIT II
Date: 3-MAR-1986 21:36 by CHESLEY

File compression and multiple file packing program, compatible with the original
PackIt (by the same author).

[--ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PACKITII.HQX
--BB]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 2 Mar 86 03:31:16-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: LaserWriter/AppleTalk protocols

        Can anyone tell me what exactly goes on when an AppleTalk Macintosh
sends a print request to the LaserWriter? How does the LaserWriter respond to
indicate that it is ready and available to print, or it is busy, or whatever?

I am writing print server/spooler software and I NEED to know this stuff.

Richard Siegel
RS4U@te.cc.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun 2 Mar 86 03:34:25-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: CrashSaver explanation

        I helped write the CrashSaver program in its early days (actually,
I looked over the shoulder of Alan Dail as HE wrote, but I did provide some
suggestions). When he wrote it, it was called "ExitToShell". It works
by patching the higher-level 68000 interrupts (interrupts 4-7, the ones
associated with the back button) so that an interrupt of that level calls
the ROM routine called ExitToShell. Note that if you're in Switcher, a press
of the interrupt button will put you back in switcher...

                    --richard siegel

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Mar 86 17:43:53-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: Cheap AppleTalk interfacing.

I have used the MDS cable (Mac-->Mac) as a cheap AppleTalk connection for
two Macs, or a Mac and a LaserWriter. I know this because I have
used it to play MazeWars, and more recently to test some LaserWriter stuff.

Here are the pinouts for the Mac-to-Mac and Mac-to-XL cable:

Macintosh to Macintosh (9pin on each end)

No Connect 1                            1 No Connect
No Connect 2                            2 No Connect
Ground     3                            3 Ground
TXD+       4                            4 TXD+
TXD-         5                          9 RXD-
No Connect 6                            6 No Connect
HandShake  7 ------------------ 7 HandShake
RXD+       8                    8 RXD+
RXD-       9                    5 TXD-

(Observe that lines 5 and 9 are crossed [connected to one another])

Macintosh to Lisa

(This is more complicated, so i'll describe it.)

Pin 3 of the Macintosh side is connected to BOTH Pins 1 and 7 of the Lisa side.
Pin 5 (TXD-) of the Macintosh side is connected to Pin 2 (TXD) of the Lisa side.
Pin 9 (RXD-) of the Macintosh side is connected to Pin 2 (TXD) of the Lisa side.

[My Mistake; the second line should read as follows:

          Pin 5 (TXD-) of the Macintosh side is connected to Pin 3 (three) (RXD)
of the Lisa side. --rms]

I hope this is helpful.

                    --rich

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Mar 86 17:56:46-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: Pinouts, continued

A postscript to my previous message about pinouts:
          All you ever wanted to know about Macintosh and XL cable pinouts
but were afraid to ask is contained in Macintosh Technical Note #10:
Pinouts. I believe it is archived, but anyone who wants a paper copy can
let me know and I will be happy to oblige.

Also:
          I have version 1.01 of TML Pascal. Version 1.1 is being released in
a couple of days; the upgrade fee is $20. The secretary wasn't too
knowledgeable, but I understand that the new version has a Linker/Librarian
(Smart Linker?? Separate Compilation??) and "other neat features". Maybe a few
bugs have been ironed out and fullsize set support is here. Who knows. I'll
send more mail when I get my upgrade.

--By the way, V1.1 is also compatible with Mac+ and HFS; i think it has
the new system on it.

                    --rich

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 86 21:40:41 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: DA Runners

[ From Delphi - Jeff ]

Name: DESK ACCESSORY RUNNERS
Date: 2-MAR-1986 20:45 by LOFTUSBECKER

Other... 1.5 is a revised version of Other..., a desk accessory that
lets you run other desk accessorien disk. DA Key is an FKEY resource
that does the same thing, not quite as well. The doc files are not
critical, but explain some less obvious features. Docs are in MacWrite
4.5 format.

[ Below is a PackIt file of both programs and doc files ]

[--ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DA-OTHER-15.HQX
--BB]

End of INFO-MAC Digest