Date: 4 Mar 1986 13:32-PST
From: dbeck@sri-unix.ARPA (Douglas K. Beck)
Subject: MockPackage

Here is MockPackage 4.2a skimmed from Compuserve.  Supposedly HFS
sanitary.  Works ok on 512K Mac and HD20.  Enjoy!   ...doug beck

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MOCKPACKAGE.HQX
--BB]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 08:29:47 CST
From: Don Johnson <dhj@zeta.ARPA>
Subject: Recovering MacWrite 4.5 files

In our experience at Rice University, MacWrite 4.5 (and all other disk-
based versions) tends to crash frequently and/or crashes the file
being edited. I wrote a application based on Winkler's UNIX program
'mwrescue' which recovers crashed files to a great extent. The program
attempts to reconstruct the file exactly, if possible. The performance
of the program can be enhanced greatly the more 'dead' files are
examined. If you have some, send them along.
	What follows is a binhexed version of a PackIt file containing
the application for the Macintosh and the documentation (in a
MacWrite 4.5 file, of course).

	Don Johnson
	Rice University
	dhj@rice

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-WRITERECOVERY.HQX
--BB]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 86 20:08:53 pst
From: Steve Leeke <leeke@su-amadeus.arpa>
Subject: VT125/240 Emulators For Macintosh

Does anyone know of a VT125/240 emulator for the Macintosh?

Steve Leeke
LEEKE@SIERRA
LEEKE@AMADEUS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 86 07:47 EST
From: WARNER%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Animation on the MacPlus

I've been trying several programs on our new MacPlus, and it appears that
sophisticated animation programs are in trouble.  Megaroids and Harrier
Strike Mission, for example, don't work.  I suspect that this has something
to do with the use of the alternate screen buffer.  I tried turning the
Ram Cache off, hoping that this was causing the conflict, but they still
didn't work.  Does anybody know what's really going on with the alternate
screen buffer and the new ROMs?  Since sophisticated animation is close
to the hearts of most Mac afficionados, I think we'd appreciate hearing
the technical details on how to do it on a MacPlus.
Daniel D. Warner
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Clemson University
Clemson, SC  29631
(803) 656-5244
CSNET: WARNER@CLEMSON
BITNET: DDWRN AT CLEMSON

------------------------------

Date: 04 March 86 15:21 EST
From: RGG%CORNELLC.BITNET@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Subject: Beyond the horizon

Recently the micro press has waxed eloquent about the products expected
to be based on the 80386, and some rumors are starting to surface about
the 80486.  In the meantime, the best we have to look forward to is the
68020 (not to knock it...).  Is Motorola planning the next generation?
What will it look like? Does anyone have any juicy rumors?
Tom Dimock

------------------------------

Date: Tue 4 Mar 86 13:14:04-PST
From: Dick <MEAD@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
Subject: Memory map display??

Is there, or could someone perhaps make/post, some utility to display
a map of system configuration (map, etc...)???

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 86 07:31 EST
From: WARNER%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Epson Drivers

A friend of mine has an Apple II with and Epson FX-80 printer.  He's
planning on buying a Mac and wants to know if anyone has any first-hand
experience with Mac interfaces and drivers for the Eps  Thanks for
any info you can provide.

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 86 13:41:04 cet
From: DATJN%NEUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Mac Plus with university discount ??

Here in Denmark the Mac Plus is not available with

a discount under Apple's University Discount Program

(we can only get Mac 128 and Mac 512). The people that I have

been talking to at Apple Denmark say that they may start giving

discounts on Mac Plus too, but they do not know the time frame for

when this may happen. It appears to be dependent on some management

decision in Apple's international organization.

What is the situation in the USA and in other countries??

I want a number of personal computers for a lab for teaching

computer-human interaction and we need 1Mbyte. Other cheap solutions

a la 1040 ST are becoming available so we are not desperate,

but it would be nice to know what to expect from Apple.

Jakob Nielsen, Department of Computer Science, Technical University of Denmark

Building 344, DK-2800 Lyngby, DENMARK

End of INFO-MAC Digest