Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 10:00:17-MST
From: Tony Jacobs <T-JACOBS@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: "Volumes" (A Shareware Experimental Fileserver)

I originally sent a brief explanation of "Volumes" when I sent the PackIt file
but the first post got screwed up.

"Volumes" is a desk accessory file server. It puts up a Volumes menu which will
show any volumes you have on the desktop (or online to yourself) seperated by
a grey line and then any volumes that are on line to AppleTalk.  If you select
any of the Net volumes they become mounted to your mac just like any other disk.
You can copy files to and from as well as run applications from them.  You can
even make those volumes your start up volume.

Your volumes can be put online to the net by selecting their name in the
Volumes menu and they become checked.  Select them again and the are taken off
line.  If anyone is using them then you get a warning message to please be kind
and not jerk the rug out from under them.

You can also put your volumes online as Read Only by holding down the command
key when you select a volume name from the Volumes menu.  They then become
diamoned instead of checked.  You can mount net volumes read only also.

When you install Volumes with the installer application that comes with it, you
are asked for a network name.  This name is prefixed to any volumes that are
put on line so you can tell who or where they come from.  Thus the volumes in
the second section of the menu have user name prefixed to them.

Below the two sections of volume names in the menu are three other items.  One
is an "About Volumes" which says a little bit about it but not exactly what it
should.  It should tell you that this may be the only version out unless the
guy gets some support.  The document that comes with the packit file tell all
about volumes and who to send you money to for encouragement.

Two, is a Lookup item which will update the volume list (in case some volumes
have been added or removed). Three, is a quit which will say quit <net name>"
if you have selected any other menu items previously.  This just shows you what
you net name has been set to.

One really nice feature of Volumes is that it will automatically prefix certain
temporary files with your net name.  What this means is that many people can
simultaneously run applications which create temp files without a collision.
The list of temp file names can be added to also.  The instructions for that
are in the document.

Volumes is about 9k for the desk accessory and I think about 13k for the .EFS
driver.  That is the "External File System" driver which stays around if you
start up on another disk which doesn't have "Volumes" on it.

This is a darn niffty little piece of code.  I strongly recomend everyone
supports the guy and SEND HIM SOME MONEY.

t-jacobs@utah-cbd

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 86 19:30:51 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Other 1.6

[ From Delphi - Jeff ]

6363 5-MAR-03:15: Programming
     Other... 1.5
     From: LOFTUSBECKER To: ALL

I've found a bug in Other... 1.5 that, sometimes, will cause a crash when
you Quit the program without ever Saving the screen. Other... 1.6 is an
upload that (I think) fixes the bug. Please don't distribute 1.5; and if
you have it, I'd advise replacing with Other... 1.6.
                        - Lofty

[NOTE FROM MODERATOR]
	I've archived this as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DA-OTHER-16.HQX,
	and removed [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DA-OTHER-15.HQX
		--BB
[END OF NOTE]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 15:19:41 EST
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: Bundle bit not set in PackIt II

I was playing with PackIt II, which I just downloaded & noticed that after
I ran the PurgeIcon utility that the icon for PackIt II & all my *.pit files
reverted to the generic application & document icons respectively.  After a
little investigation, I discovered that the bundle bit was not set in the
PackIt II application.  I set the bundle bit in my copy & that solved the
problem.  Perhaps someone who knows the author could let him know about this.
(the bundle bit IS set in PackIt version 1.)  I am reluctant to upload the
version with the bundle bit set, since the program is copyrighted.

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 18:37:42 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@BBN-LABS-B.ARPA>
Subject: Backup utility for HD20

It occurred to me that PackitII does almost all that one would need to be
able to backup a HD20 conveniently.  If there were some way it could be modified
to do incremental packing and to make files in 399K chunks, it would be great
for that purpose.  Or perhaps there's some backup program for HD20s already
on the market which allows incremental backups.  I shudder to think what would
happen if my disk crashed, because I know I couldn't get it restored exactly.

Does anybody know of such a program?

	--Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 86 21:00 EST
From: GXYSRC%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: An attempt to trick TextEdit

Sorry about that. Here it is again.
   I am attempting to write a program that will use TextEdit for user input
and all that good stuff. However, I have a problem and I wonder if anyone
might be able to help me. In my program, I need to use super and subscripts,
and I would prefer to have these at a smaller size (ie H2O with H and O in
12 point and 2 in 9 point). I would also like to have two or three fonts
at once. The big problem is that, of course, TextEdit can't do this. Each
TE record can only have one size, style, etc. Now I think I may have a
solution to the problem, but I'm not sure if it will really work, and I
also am not sure about how to go about it if it could work, so this is
what I need help for.
My idea is that I might try to allocate TE record on the fly, a new record
for each syle or size change. In my example, I would end up with three
records. That part I could probably figure out, but the big problem is
cutting and pasting. How can I get the TE selection to cross over these
different records so that it acts like one big record? In other words, if
I want to select H2O, how can I get TextEdit to select all three recordrds and
treat them as one record? This I really have no clue about, and any help
would be appreciated. By the way, I am writing using Megamax C.
                                                  -- John Lawler

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 18:12:10 pst
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: MacFest, April 15-16

Stanford Macintosh Users Group (SMUG) will be holding MacFest, a
free, open to the public exhibition of the latest in Macintosh
software and hardware, featuring guest speakers, seminars, and
demonstrations.  Held April 15-16, Tresidder Union, Stanford
Campus, MacFest last year attracted upwards of 5000 spectators.
Stay tuned for a list of vendors, and speakers.

Vendors interested in securing space, or volunteers interested
in contributing time should contact the SMUG hotline at
(415) 725-0152.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 86 13:41:37 PST
From: XQWERTY%UCLASSCF.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Gann M.)
Subject: Mac Magazines--comment on Scott Rudy's entry

I have subscribed to three magazines now--Macworld, Macazine and Mac User
and I feel that Mac User is by far the best magazine on the Mac so far.
They are usually the first to report on new software and hardware releases
and they the brief, but informative reviews on most of the existing soft-
ware that is available.  It is, by far, the most up-to-date and informative
Mac magazine that I've read.

Gann Matsuda

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 12:48:35 EST
From: Andrew Malis <malis@bbnccs.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Bit Copiers

Ralph,

You should buy Copy II Mac 5.0, which claims to be able to back
up Mac Pascal (I don't have Mac Pascal, so I can't attest that it
works).  It only costs $39.95 list, and I've seen it advertised
for $20.  It's well worth the cost.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 12:00:35-EST
From: RS4U@TD.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: macintosh Plus keyboard...

          I found that the Macintosh Plus keyboard works fine with a
plain-vanilla, un-upgraded 512K Macintosh. THe new keyboard is a bit nicer;
I like the layout and feel better...

                    --richard

------------------------------

From: cracraft@isi-vaxa.ARPA (Stuart Cracraft)
Date: 5 Mar 1986 1635-PST (Wednesday)
Subject: MacTerminal

Could someone please explain to me why MacTerminal constantly goes to disk
when all info-recording mechanisms are turned off? Why go to
disk at all?

Please respond to cracraft@isi-vaxa if you know why.

	Stuart

End of INFO-MAC Digest