Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 18:45 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MacWait utility, and sources

This posting contains the assembler source, RMaker input, and
the final application file for MacWait, an interesting little
hack that makes the hands on the "busy" wristwatch spin.  I don't
know if it will work with the new ROMs, which keep the cursors
in ROM rather than in RAM.

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-HANDSPINNER.HQX
	--BB]

------------------------------

Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 18:45 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: SoundPlay application

This posting contains the SoundPlay application.  Source for the
application (including RMaker files and MDS Make jobs) follows
in a subsequent posting.

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>SOUNDPLAY.HQX
	--BB]

------------------------------

Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 18:46 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Typist application & digitized sound files

Here's a cute little hack (no source, unfortunately).  Unpack
this file, turn up the speaker volume, and run the Typist application;
your Mac will immediately become an Underwood mechanical typewriter
(or so your ears will insist)!

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>TYPIST.HQX
	--BB]

------------------------------

Sender: Platt@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 18:45 MST
From: Dave-Platt%ladc@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: SoundPlay sources & make-files

[ARCHIVED AS [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>SOUNDDISPLAY-SOURCE.HQX
	--BB]

------------------------------

From: tcr@mhuxi.btl
Date: Thu 6 Mar EST 1986 17:33

Subject: Laserwriter to other hosts
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac,mod.computers.macintosh

We have an Apple Laserwriter connected to our Mac Plus over
Appletalk and also an AT&T PC6300 connected to Appletalk using the
PC MacBridge board and software (which works very well).  We would
also like to be able to connect our unix system (AT&T 3B2) to the
laserwriter.  For now, we connect the 3B2 to the RS232 port of the
laserwriter and manually change the switch on the back panel from
Appletalk back to RS232.  If this switch could be done in software,
this would be much better.  If there was a bridge from
RS232 or parallel port to Appletalk this would be even better.
Another possibility is that the Mac could connect to the Laserwriter
through the RS232 port and then we could use a printer multiplexing
box to share one printer from several hosts.  This does not seem
easy to do since when one selects Laserwriter as the printer,
Appletalk is enabled.

Any help, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Some or all of the names above are trademarks.

Tom Russell
AT&T Bell Laboratories
ihnp4!mhuxi!tcr
tcr.mhuxi@btl.csnet
(201) 582-7578

------------------------------

Date: Tue 4 Mar 86 16:31:40-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: CrashSaver inside info

          I was working with Alan Dail when he wrote CrashSaver this past summer.
When he wrote it, it was called ExitToShell (or "ETS" for short), and its
original intention was to tie the interrupt vectors to the Reset button.
That was not such a great idea for the following reasons:

          1) The RESET button is necessary for situations where a simple
call to ExitToShell won't work or the machine is really hung, and

          2) It didn't work that way.

          Alan finally decided to use the back (interrupt) button.

          So you ask, "What do it do??"
          It's simple:
                    ExitToShell (aka CrashSaver) ties the higher-level interrupt
                    vectors (interrupt levels 4 thru 7) to the ToolBox routine
                    ExitToShell (hence it's original name).

          ETS doesn't need to be run as startup application, but it is most
convenient if you do. Otherwise, run it before you start work.

          ETS is almost completely effective. There are situations from which
ETS can't recover, for example when the screen fills with snow and the
speaker starts chattering, and sometimes the machine locks up after exiting
to the finder, but those instances are rare. I use it with everything I own,
and I have not had any problems caused by ETS.

                    --richard

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 10:44:49-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: Serial Port Interfacing

          Does anyone have or know where I can find routines or programs
written in LisaPascal that talk to the serial (modem is fine) port
on a character-by-character basis? I am trying to write a software
interface to a Kinetics 3989 crate controller, but I can't get the serial
stuff to work. Any help (program fragments, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

                    --richard

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 10:46:15-EST
From: Rich <RS4U@CARNEGIE.Mailnet>
Subject: Double-Clicking

          How do I use the Event Manager to detect a double-click??

                    --richard (rs4u@te.cc.cmu.edu, rs4u%andrew@te.cc.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 86 10:28:24 EST (Friday)
From: Paton.WBST@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Mac Magazines Again

MacUser is not bad, but there was an article on FEdit in an early issue
that was completely messed up.

On the newsstands, you can find Nibble Mac, published bi-monthly by the
people that publish Nibble for the Apple II series.  They publish
programs(usually in Basic).  However the best is probably Mac Tutor,
which is available by subscription only.  It publishes programs in C,
Pascal, and Modula-2(and possibly Basic).

Art

[NOTE FROM MODERATOR]

	I agree with your review of MacTutor, but I don't think
	that it's available by subscription only, I get it at
	my local Mac store (ComputerWare, Palo Alto, CA)

[END OF NOTE]

------------------------------

From: bellcore!decvax!wang!ephraim@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 17:48:58 est
Subject: Animation on MacPlus

In info-mac volume 4, number 24, D.D.Warner asked why many animation
programs do not work on the Mac Plus.  I can't say for sure, but I
expect the answer is connected to failure to adhere to Apple's
hardware-independence guidelines.

Every program I have seen that uses the alternate screen buffer
expects it to be at a fixed address.  Most of them look for it
at its 512K Mac location; Fokker Triplane addresses it at its
4Meg Mac location and depends on wraparound to do the rest.  Nobody
(that I know of) uses the alternate screen based on Apple-provided
low-memory pointers.

So, many animation programs are broken on the Mac Plus.  Fokker
Triplane is only broken on machines where memory wrap-around
doesn't work, such as my 1.5Meg Mac.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Mar 86 21:35:00-PST
From: Jyh-Jye (Juoming) Yeh <YEH@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: slow clock problem

Does any one know what happened to the mac when the clock is 3 times slower
than usual?  It occured to me that my Mac's clock is always wrong. I replaced
the battery but it didn't help and the Mac now takes 33 seconds to count 30
seconds. Any hint?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Juoming Yeh

------------------------------

Subject: 800k drive.
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 86 12:00:27 -0500
From: Gurudatta Parulkar <parulkar@dewey.udel.EDU>

I have a simple question which might have been answered before, but
I couldn't find it in whatever archives we have.

We have recently got few 800k drives and I tried connecting them
to Mac directly as external drives, and they don't work. Mac keeps
insisting that I reformat the single sided disks,and when I try
doing that it says that formatting failed.

The same drive works fine when connected to 20MB hard disk.
I haven't received any documetnation which talks about any such problem
so any help will highly appreciated.

-guru

:______________________________________________________________________________
:Gurudatta M. Parulkar
:University of Delaware
:Department of Computer and Information Sciences
:Newark, DE  19716
:
:ARPA: parulkar@dewey.udel.EDU
:CSNET: parulkar%udel-dewey@csnet-relay
:UUCP: ...!harvard!parulkar@dewey.udel.
:______________________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

Subject: Will there be a color Macintosh?
Date: 06 Mar 86 10:16:33 PST (Thu)
From: homeier@aero

A while ago I heard a rumor about a new version of the Macintosh being
planned by Apple, which would feature color, named "Jonathan".  Does anyone
have any information about this?  Even rumors would be encouraging.  I
would be interested in what processor it would use, how much memory, the
resolution of the screen, the range of colors, etc., in other words all
the good stuff.  Also, when might such an animal become available to us,
and are there any guesses as to how much it might cost?

I have always loved the emphasis of the Macintosh on graphics, instead of
the gray PC emphasis on text.  In my opinion, color would magnify the
Macintosh's attractiveness many times.

                                 Peter Homeier

End of INFO-MAC Digest