[net.sf-lovers] visible civilization

milne@uci-icse (08/03/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   The California Aqueduct and Great Wall are visible from the Moon.  At
   night, it is quite easy to see civilization's lights from high orbit.
   Of course by galactic standards, that's a "relatively low height."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   I didn't think the Great Wall was visible from that high, though I could
   certainly be wrong.  I also don't know how much they look like the
   artifacts of civilisation, rather than spontaneous occurrences.  You are
   quite right about the lights at night, though.  I forgot all about that.  I
   understand that flaming oil towers in Libya are easily visible at night,
   and the Europe and parts of North America are ablaze.  Although one would
   have to investigate the source of the light to see if it were produced by
   civilisation.  I imagine similar patterns of light could be seen on highly
   volcanic planets.

   But, as you say, the moon's orbit is at a relatively low height (in fact a
   fantastically low height) by galactic standards.  And that was my main
   point.  In order for extraterrestrials to visit us, they first have to find
   us, which, because of the unbelievably tiny fraction of the galaxy's --
   never mind the universe's -- volume we occupy, will likely be so extremely
   difficult as to be virtually impossible.  Barring, of course, technologies
   that could give them effective planet-detection capabilities, and swing
   the odds considerably.  But, not having them ourselves, it's hard to say
   anything about them.

   Alastair Milne

milne@uci-icse (08/03/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   I'm told that the Earth is the brightest radio source in this region of the
   galaxy, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if you have radio telescopes.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   I'm certainly no expert, but if Earth is brighter than the Sun, in any
   band, I'll be very surprised.  You might double check with your source,
   if you can; also about competition with Jupiter, and possibly Saturn.

   There is also the problem of the angular distance of Earth from the Sun,
   especially from very distant (ie much more than Alpha Centauri) stars.
   I've neither the time nor the inclination to go through the math, but I
   suspect it would be difficult, perhaps extremely so, to resolve Earth's
   signals from the Sun's.

   And remember, as I said in my first posting, to pick up any of Earth's
   signals at all other than natural ones (and I don't know whether there are
   any) you have to be within about 50 or 60 light years.  I'm sure no such
   signals were generated anywhere on Earth more than 60 years ago, or perhaps
   70, when the first crude recordings were done.  And at 70 light years'
   radius, those signals, weak as they were to start with, must have
   attenuated miserably.  So I would place 70 light years as the maximum
   radius at which Earth could be detected by radio telescopes, if it could
   be so detected at all.

   Alastair

   PS.  Thanks for keeping the discussion going.  This is rather interesting.

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/03/85)

> From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>

>    The California Aqueduct and Great Wall are visible from the Moon.  At
>    night, it is quite easy to see civilization's lights from high orbit.
>    Of course by galactic standards, that's a "relatively low height."
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
>    I didn't think the Great Wall was visible from that high, though I could
>    certainly be wrong.
>
>    Alastair Milne

I just recently read an article (somewhere) by a shuttle astronaut
(someone - boy, this lack of references sure doesn't substantiate
my story, does it?) that tried looking for the Great Wall once
he was in orbit.

He claimed that he could only find it with great difficulty, and while
purposely looking for it through the shuttles telescopic cameras.
(The first thing he thought was the Great Wall turned out to
be a river....)

Thought I'd pass that along...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!
	    Television's takin' its toll.
	    Turn it off, turn it off!
	    Give me the remote control!
	    I've been nice! I've been good!
	    Please don't do this to me!
	    I've been nice, turn it off,
	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/03/85)

> From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>

>    I'm told that the Earth is the brightest radio source in this region of the
>    galaxy, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if you have radio telescopes.
>

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>

>    I'm certainly no expert, but if Earth is brighter than the Sun, in any
>    band, I'll be very surprised.  You might double check with your source,
>    if you can; also about competition with Jupiter, and possibly Saturn.
>
>    There is also the problem of the angular distance of Earth from the Sun,
>    especially from very distant (ie much more than Alpha Centauri) stars.
>    I've neither the time nor the inclination to go through the math, but I
>    suspect it would be difficult, perhaps extremely so, to resolve Earth's
>    signals from the Sun's.
>

>    Alastair

I'm not expert either, but I am a graduate student in Astronomy, and
Alastair is right, I'm afraid. Jupiter is much brighter in the
radio (or anything!) region than the Earth, and Jupiter would be
quite difficult to resolve from the Sun unless someone out there
had VERY good resolution on his/her/its radio scope. Also, if Jupiter
was resolved seperate from the Sun, that would mean someone out there
wanted to check us out rather than give us a casual once-over...does
this mean that we're the subject of someone's research project?

(Incidently, for anyone who cares at all, one of the reasons that
 Jupiter is brighter than the earth in the radio region is due to
 the internal heat that it generates. A hot, gassious object like
 Jupiter would stand out like a sore thumb next to a cold, lump
 of slag like the Earth...)

--

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong - DCS) (08/05/85)

In article <3076@topaz.ARPA> milne@uci-icse writes:
>   I'm certainly no expert, but if Earth is brighter than the Sun, in any
>   band, I'll be very surprised.  You might double check with your source,
>   if you can; also about competition with Jupiter, and possibly Saturn.

one of my first year physics project was to calculate how far away the
earth could be detected by a radio telescope the size of Aricebo.  it
turns out that a signal broadcast at the usual operating power of
Aricebo can be detected at a distance of some 100,000 light years by a
comparable instrument that is pointed toward the transmitter at the
right time.  the signal is good enough such that two way communications
with a 100,000 year delay is possible.

this has nothing to do with brightness per se, but correct
concentration of the broadcast energy.  the cone of transmission would
be about 20,000 or so light years across, but undetectable unless you
happened to be looking in the right direction at the right time.  Some
of the project Ceti transmissions using Aricebo were aimed at the
Hercules cluster some 13,000 light years away.  so, you might say
brightness is a relative thing.

>   There is also the problem of the angular distance of Earth from the Sun,
>   especially from very distant (ie much more than Alpha Centauri) stars.
>   I've neither the time nor the inclination to go through the math, but I
>   suspect it would be difficult, perhaps extremely so, to resolve Earth's
>   signals from the Sun's.

you have to remember that the signals from the sun are more or less
random (like black body radiation), while the signals from the earth
are anything but (contents exempt).  that alone would make anybody
watching take more interest.  something like the Aricebo transmission
would be like a supernova in our galaxy in terms of getting someone's
attention, but they have to be looking in the right direction.  another
thing too are the various nuclear tests that have been undertaken in
the last forty years.  remember that they generate a hefty
electromagnetic pulse that propogates in all directions.  because they
are effectively one time events with no set pattern, they would
probably be ignored as glitches in the instrumentation, but they are
detectable over very large distances, on the order of a few thousand
light years.

>   And remember, as I said in my first posting, to pick up any of Earth's
>   signals at all other than natural ones (and I don't know whether there are
>   any) you have to be within about 50 or 60 light years.  I'm sure no such
>   signals were generated anywhere on Earth more than 60 years ago, or perhaps
>   70, when the first crude recordings were done.  And at 70 light years'
>   radius, those signals, weak as they were to start with, must have
>   attenuated miserably.  So I would place 70 light years as the maximum
>   radius at which Earth could be detected by radio telescopes, if it could
>   be so detected at all.

the key thing is that our regular radio transmissions may be lost in
the overall electromagnetic transmissions from other things nearby, but
there are a lot of other things besides commercial broadcasts that
would be detectable from great distances.  the catch is that we've been
only noticeable for the last forty years or so, and only in the last
twenty or so have we actually tried to make ourselves known.  project
SETI spent about 6 months transmitting to various nearby stars with
such a signal power that even over the distance of thirty or forty
light years, a primitive radio would be capable of detecting the signal
if someone were listening at the right time in the right place.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

In article <1356@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

>>I'm told that the Earth is the brightest radio source in this region of the
>>galaxy, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if you have radio telescopes.

>>    I'm certainly no expert, but if Earth is brighter than the Sun, in any
>>    band, I'll be very surprised.  You might double check with your source,
>>    if you can; also about competition with Jupiter, and possibly Saturn.

>>    There is also the problem of the angular distance of Earth from the Sun,
>>    especially from very distant (ie much more than Alpha Centauri) stars.
>>    I've neither the time nor the inclination to go through the math, but I
>>    suspect it would be difficult, perhaps extremely so, to resolve Earth's
>>    signals from the Sun's.

>I'm not expert either, but I am a graduate student in Astronomy, and
>Alastair is right, I'm afraid. Jupiter is much brighter in the
>radio (or anything!) region than the Earth, and Jupiter would be
>quite difficult to resolve from the Sun unless someone out there
>had VERY good resolution on his/her/its radio scope. Also, if Jupiter
>was resolved seperate from the Sun, that would mean someone out there
>wanted to check us out rather than give us a casual once-over...does
>this mean that we're the subject of someone's research project?

>(Incidently, for anyone who cares at all, one of the reasons that
> Jupiter is brighter than the earth in the radio region is due to
> the internal heat that it generates. A hot, gassious object like
> Jupiter would stand out like a sore thumb next to a cold, lump
> of slag like the Earth...)

As I understand it, the things that make the earth stand out are the
following:

 1) It's very small and obviously associated with a star.  This makes it clear
    that whatever it is, it's a planet.

 2) In radio frequencies, it is analomously hot, and NOT on spectral lines.

 3) At certain precisely defined frequencies, it is quite bright-- sometimes.
    Certain radio telescopes, when operated as radars, are very bright.

If you look at the solar system from the right directions, there are three
radio sources: two thermal ones, and something substellar which has a really
wierd radio spectrum: it has lines that are not emission lines, and it is
really variable.  If your detectors are sufficiently sophisticated, you should
be able to "see" the earth.  But you have to look at it exactly right.  It
occults over a very long period, and you have to be looking off of emission
lines.  This makes it difficult to find similar sorts of objects, compounded
by the fact that we have only been doing this for about 20 years, so that only
our very nearest neighbors could have noticed this.  Someone on Sirius,
however, wouldn't have too much trouble noticing that our system had something
really strange in it.

Charley Wingate

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/06/85)

To everyone else out there: I apologize if this should be in net.astro,
and if it carries on I'll move it there...

For those that are interested,....

> >>I'm told that the Earth is the brightest radio source in this region of the
> >>galaxy, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if you have radio telescopes.
>

> >I'm not expert either, but I am a graduate student in Astronomy, and
> >Alastair is right, I'm afraid. Jupiter is much brighter in the
> >radio (or anything!) region than the Earth, and Jupiter would be
> >quite difficult to resolve from the Sun unless someone out there
> >had VERY good resolution on his/her/its radio scope.

To which Charlie Wingate responses:

> As I understand it, the things that make the earth stand out are the
> following:
>
>  1) It's very small and obviously associated with a star.  This makes it clear
>     that whatever it is, it's a planet.

There's a couple problems with this argument: first, the earth is
EXTREMELY close to the sun. Even though the sun is a standard so-so
star, it would take extremely fine resolution on a radio scope
to seperate the angular distance. Even if they could do
that, the earth radiates so little heat (virtually its only radio
source, the stuff we generate ourselves doesn't count, I'm afraid...)
that it would be lost in the heat of the sun...again, seperation is
a problem.

OK...giving the aliens the benifit of the doubt: lets say they've taken
the trouble to determine that there is a small, cold body orbiting
the sun...it could be anything. True, it could be a planet...but it also could
be a asteroid, comet, or any other rocky body...and, it doesn't even
have to be a body...it could be an amalogmation of bodies...

>  2) In radio frequencies, it is analomously hot, and NOT on spectral lines.

I'm afraid this isn't quite right. The earth, in fact the solar system,
is amazingly boring. It is a rock that generates its own internal heat
(slowly) by nuclear decay of material in the core. The rest of the
heat is reflected. If you are refering to any radio noise that
humans make, we aren't very spectacular either. Our signals, even if
they weren't hampered by the atmosphere, solar winds, noise from
the sun, etc, would attenuate before they got very far away from
us at all.

>  3) At certain precisely defined frequencies, it is quite bright-- sometimes.
>     Certain radio telescopes, when operated as radars, are very bright.

? I missed your point... ?

> If you look at the solar system from the right directions, there are three
> radio sources: two thermal ones, and something substellar which has a really
> wierd radio spectrum: it has lines that are not emission lines, and it is
> really variable.  If your detectors are sufficiently sophisticated, you should
> be able to "see" the earth.  But you have to look at it exactly right.  It
> occults over a very long period, and you have to be looking off of emission
> lines.  This makes it difficult to find similar sorts of objects, compounded
> by the fact that we have only been doing this for about 20 years, so that only
> our very nearest neighbors could have noticed this.  Someone on Sirius,
> however, wouldn't have too much trouble noticing that our system had something
> really strange in it.

Sorry, Charley, but I really have to "stick by my guns" on this one.
Detecting planets from even NEARBY solar systems is, at best, a painstaking
long complicated process. (You could always argue that advanced civilizations
have really nifty, spifo technology that could pick us out in a sec, but
that is a moot point, since what we are talking about is whether or
not the earth is an OBVIOUS object - at least that's what I'm talking
about...) If it were that easy, we would have done it...the fact is,
after studying a star a mere 6 lys away (Barnard's star), the best anyone
could come up with is a "maybe." There may be 2 large gas bodies in orbit
nearby, but it may just be an error in the way the plates were taken.
And even these "gas bodies" which should be hot thermal objects, cannot
be resolved from the glare fo a pathetic star like Barnard's.

The closest we have ever come to finding other planets thermally, was
with the IRAS satellite. It detected "bodies" moving around the
star Vega. (26 lys distance.) However, that is probably a solar system
in FORMATION, since those "bodies" are glowing at amazingly
high temperatures. (Much higher than Jupiter...)

I guess my point is, unless someone out there has some pretty sophisticated
technology...we are quite invisible...at least, ordinary...you couldn't
even get a good Master's Thesis out of us...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center
                               ...seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo

	"...That's enough, that's enough!
	    Television's takin' its toll.
	    Turn it off, turn it off!
	    Give me the remote control!
	    I've been nice! I've been good!
	    Please don't do this to me!
	    I've been nice, turn it off,
	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

[Post follow-ups to net.astro, please]

In article <1363@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

>> As I understand it, the things that make the earth stand out are the
>> following:

>>  1) It's very small and obviously associated with a star.  This makes it
>>     clear that whatever it is, it's a planet.
>
>There's a couple problems with this argument: first, the earth is
>EXTREMELY close to the sun. Even though the sun is a standard so-so
>star, it would take extremely fine resolution on a radio scope
>to seperate the angular distance. Even if they could do
>that, the earth radiates so little heat (virtually its only radio
>source, the stuff we generate ourselves doesn't count, I'm afraid...)
>that it would be lost in the heat of the sun...again, seperation is
>a problem.

You don't have to resolve it out separately.  Assuming for the moment that
Earth's radio emissions (human-generated) are at all visible, what will be
seen is a star with a wierd secondary which is occulted once a year (in the
right direction, of course).  This alone, I admit, would not make it evident
that the secondary was a planet.  But wait....

>>  2) In radio frequencies, it is analomously hot, and NOT on spectral lines.

>I'm afraid this isn't quite right. The earth, in fact the solar system,
>is amazingly boring. It is a rock that generates its own internal heat
>(slowly) by nuclear decay of material in the core. The rest of the
>heat is reflected. If you are refering to any radio noise that
>humans make, we aren't very spectacular either. Our signals, even if
>they weren't hampered by the atmosphere, solar winds, noise from
>the sun, etc, would attenuate before they got very far away from
>us at all.

Now wait a minute.  This last line is totally off base.  We seem to be quite
capable of tossing useful radio signals around the solar system, in spite of
using inferior equipment and in spite of solar noise.  Once you get clear of
the atmosphere, the attenuation works against the noise sources too.

>>  3) At certain precisely defined frequencies, it is quite bright--
>>     sometimes.
>>     Certain radio telescopes, when operated as radars, are very bright.

>? I missed your point... ?

The point is that along the line of sight of these beams, the earth appears
VERY bright.  Bright enough to be used as a radar at interplanetary distances
(where the range degradation is FOURTH power).  Probability is against
detecting such a beam, but, hey, I never said detection was LIKELY.

>> If you look at the solar system from the right directions, there are three
>> radio sources: two thermal ones, and something substellar which has a
>> really wierd radio spectrum: it has lines that are not emission lines,
>> and it is  really variable.  If your detectors are sufficiently
>> sophisticated, you should be able to "see" the earth.  But you have to
>> look at it exactly right.  It occults over a very long period, and you
>> have to be looking off of emission lines.  This makes it difficult to
>> find similar sorts of objects, compounded by the fact that we have
>> only been doing this for about 20 years, so that only our very nearest
>> neighbors could have noticed this.  Someone on Sirius, however, wouldn't
>> have too much trouble noticing that our system had something
>> really strange in it.

>Sorry, Charley, but I really have to "stick by my guns" on this one.
>Detecting planets from even NEARBY solar systems is, at best, a painstaking
>long complicated process. (You could always argue that advanced civilizations
>have really nifty, spifo technology that could pick us out in a sec, but
>that is a moot point, since what we are talking about is whether or
>not the earth is an OBVIOUS object - at least that's what I'm talking
>about...) If it were that easy, we would have done it...the fact is,
>after studying a star a mere 6 lys away (Barnard's star), the best anyone
>could come up with is a "maybe." There may be 2 large gas bodies in orbit
>nearby, but it may just be an error in the way the plates were taken.
>And even these "gas bodies" which should be hot thermal objects, cannot
>be resolved from the glare fo a pathetic star like Barnard's.

At IR wavelengths, yes.  But my point is that you have to look at the Sun
IN THE RIGHT WAY.  It's not technologically very difficult-- it does require
a lot of luck.  Radio telescopy as we practice it now would never find such
an object, because we concentrate on emission lines.  Human radio
transmissions lie off such lines.

>The closest we have ever come to finding other planets thermally, was
>with the IRAS satellite. It detected "bodies" moving around the
>star Vega. (26 lys distance.) However, that is probably a solar system
>in FORMATION, since those "bodies" are glowing at amazingly
>high temperatures. (Much higher than Jupiter...)

Actually, it was considered to try and look for objects fitting the
appropriate description, about ten years ago.  (Remember SETI?)  As I
recall, what killed the thing was the immense improbability of it.
Assuming 1 trillion resolvable stars, with one tenth having civilizations
generating the right kind of emissions for 1000 years each, you'ld have to
examine about 100,000,000 before you found one.

>I guess my point is, unless someone out there has some pretty sophisticated
>technology...we are quite invisible...at least, ordinary...you couldn't
>even get a good Master's Thesis out of us...

All you need is a bigger radio telescope, and luck.  This discussion started
out from the question of why we haven't been contacted by another
civilization.  Even granting that the Earth is detectable at interstellar
distances, it's clear that probability is heavily against our ever being
detected.

C Wingate

[followups to net.astro, please]

I knew I had sources somewhere....

In the May 1975 _Scientific American_ there is a nice article on searching
for extraterrestrial intelligence by Sagan and Drake.  A summary of their
articles (or parts of it anyway):

Arecibo Observatory, when transmitting, is at least a million times brighter
than the sun.  This signal can be detected by a similar receiver at a
distance of about ten thousand light years.  A number of other sites have
similar capabilities.

In the FM and VHF tv bands, the earth is quite bright.  A receiver system to
detect such signals was conceived of at the time of the article, to be called
'Cyclops'.  Employing 1500 antennas of 100 meters each,it would be able to
detect such signals out to several hundred lightyears.  Such a system would
not be beyond our current technology-- but it would be very expensive (~$10G).

These observations do not rely on resolving the earth as a separate body.

C Wingate

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (08/07/85)

I believe it was Carl Sagan that wrote once (during the Viking Mars mission)
that from orbit Earth looks uninhabited, too...I suppose he meant to the
naked eye, and on the daylight side...

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) (08/07/85)

Actually, the most powerful radio emitters on the planet are early-warning
radars, which would look like nearly monochromatic sources along the
Earth's limbs.  (Since they're pointing roughly horizontally, you couldn't
see one near the middle of the disk.)

It would be fairly easy to figure out what size antenna would be needed
to spatially resolve multiple radars from distance X.  I suspect
that it would be quite easy to find such objects with planetary-
system-baseline VLBI, not to mention the anomolous emission spectrum.

	- Mike

fritz@utastro.UUCP (Fritz Benedict) (08/07/85)

> > From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
> >

> >    I'm told that the Earth is the brightest radio source in this region of the
> >    galaxy, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if you have radio telescopes.
> >

> > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> >

> >    I'm certainly no expert, but if Earth is brighter than the Sun, in any
> >    band, I'll be very surprised.  You might double check with your source,
> >    if you can; also about competition with Jupiter, and possibly Saturn.
> >
> >    There is also the problem of the angular distance of Earth from the Sun,
> >    especially from very distant (ie much more than Alpha Centauri) stars.
> >    I've neither the time nor the inclination to go through the math, but I
> >    suspect it would be difficult, perhaps extremely so, to resolve Earth's
> >    signals from the Sun's.
> >

> >    Alastair
> >

> I'm not expert either, but I am a graduate student in Astronomy, and
> Alastair is right, I'm afraid. Jupiter is much brighter in the
> radio (or anything!) region than the Earth, and Jupiter would be
> quite difficult to resolve from the Sun unless someone out there
> had VERY good resolution on his/her/its radio scope. Also, if Jupiter
> was resolved seperate from the Sun, that would mean someone out there
> wanted to check us out rather than give us a casual once-over...does
> this mean that we're the subject of someone's research project?
>
> (Incidently, for anyone who cares at all, one of the reasons that
>  Jupiter is brighter than the earth in the radio region is due to
>  the internal heat that it generates. A hot, gassious object like
>  Jupiter would stand out like a sore thumb next to a cold, lump
>  of slag like the Earth...)
>

> --
>                            --- Rob DeMillo
>                                Madison Academic Computer Center
>                                ...seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo
>

> 	"...That's enough, that's enough!
> 	    Television's takin' its toll.
> 	    Turn it off, turn it off!
> 	    Give me the remote control!
> 	    I've been nice! I've been good!
> 	    Please don't do this to me!
> 	    I've been nice, turn it off,
> 	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
> 		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

I think that the concept of BANDWIDTH enters into this discussion. For some very
small fraction of the EM spectrum, the Earth is the brightest object in the
Solar System. For instance, the 0.1Hz wide video carrier signal broadcast
by TV stations. If you integrate over many frequencies, the Earth is faint.
At some frequencies the Earth (thanks to TV) is very bright compared to the Sun
or Jupiter. The poem is pertinent.

Reference: Life in the Universe, pg 377.
	   ed. by John Billingham
	   MIT Press 1982
	   ISBN 0-262-52062-1

"Little green men are (a very small fraction of) my business"

--
Fritz Benedict  (512)471-4461x448
uucp: {...noao,decvax,ut-sally}!utastro!fritz

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/08/85)

> I believe it was Carl Sagan that wrote once (during the Viking Mars mission)
> that from orbit Earth looks uninhabited, too...I suppose he meant to the
> naked eye, and on the daylight side...
>
> --
> The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
> should be!!
>
> Roy Turner

There seems to be some confusion here as to what we were all
originally talking about. Charlie Wingate brought up the point
that the earth was quite bright in the radio region. I said
"no it ain't" and talked about earth being cold, and a poor radio
transmitter compared to the sun, and I threw in a little quip
about stuff that we humans generate will be disrupted by
the earth's atmosphere, the suns atmosphere, attenuation, etc...

Then suddenly people started talking about Carl Sagan...!

What I was refering to was radio noise that we humans make with our
TV transmissions, shortwave transmissions, etc....
Of course, a radio transmission deliberately beamed into space
is going to go somewhere! But that is line of sight transmission,
and not what we were originally discussing anyway. (The original
discussion was about whether or not the earth is visible in the
radio region...we aren't.)

...end of transmission...