[net.sf-lovers] FTL Travel

rob@hhb.UUCP (Robert R Stegmann) (05/24/84)

	The Earth is flat!
	The Earth is fixed at the center of the Universe!
	If God had meant man to fly, He would have given him wings!
	The first man to walk on the moon will be engulfed by dust!
	Perpetual motion is unattainable!
	The speed of light can never be exceeded!

	A use of 'negative data', often expressed as a general
proscription, is to save people the trouble of seriously
pursuing paths of investigation which others have shown to be
fruitless.  The weight of such a proscription is based upon the
credibility of the issuer, as well as the strength of the logical
argument supporting his position.
	Historically, many such injunctions were based upon 'gut
feelings' and 'common knowledge' rather than experiment and reason.
They were held either by people with vested interests in preserving
the extant status quo, or people unwilling or unable to do more than
parrot the views of others.  Those brave souls who dared to challenge
public opinion did so at their own expense and risk, and were rarely
rewarded for their efforts, or vindicated within their lifetimes.
	Regardless of how many blanket proscriptions have been shown
to be groundless in the past, and regardless of how satisfying the
tales of an underdog's vindication might be, however, modern man
must fight public ignorance in a different theatre, where the villains
are not so villainous and the public not so ignorant.
	First, Einstein was certainly neither uninformed nor did he
have a vested interest in a universal speed limit.  Second, his
argument is based upon solid logic, supported by experimental
evidence.  Third, his 'followers' are not merely evangelists seeking
to spread his gospel and silence blasphemers.
	Possibly the most serious effect of adherance to Einstein's
ideas by the modern scientific community, is NOT that it will cause
them to view with skepticism ideas about FTL travel, but that it might
cause them to actively shun all such ideas, and possibly overlook a
valid one!  Modern research requires huge sums of money, and the
people who allocate funds are influenced primarily by the majority
views of the scientific community.  Society simply cannot afford to
pursue what experts hold to be blind alleys in research.
	But it is as important today as in the past, nay, more so, that
'heretical' views not be totally ignored by the community!  So while
it is unfair and even naive to analogise 'FTL travel is impossible'
with 'The Earth is flat', it remains as unwise as ever to accept any
doctrine to the point where all nonconforming thought is extinguished.

					rob

{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!philabs!hhb!rob

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/13/85)

> From: franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams)

> In article <4577@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>>   According to Special Relativity, faster-than-light travel is
>>   exactly equivalent to traveling backwards in time: there is no
>>   difference.

> Stories assuming ftl travel generally (implicitly) assume that special
> relativity is wrong, that there is a preferred frame of reference, which
> approximates our own here on Earth.  Admittedly, most do this because the
> author does not understand special relativity, BUT it is a consistent
> assumption -- just not very likely.

One would think that the Michelson-Morley experiment fairly well ruled
out this unlikely possibility nearly a hundred years ago!

> From: Peter Alfke <Alfke.pasa@Xerox.ARPA>

> Actually, according to Special Relativity, faster-than-light travel is
> just plain impossible.  All the sqrt(v^2 / c^2) terms turn imaginary .

No.  Special Relativity just says that you can't accelerate through the
speed of light.  It doesn't say you can't travel faster than the speed
of light.  Haven't you ever read any of the stuff on tachyons?  The
tachyon theory is completely consistent with Special Relativity.  They
always travel faster than light, and they travel backwards through time.

> Any story in which ftl works is tacitly assuming that something new
> has superceded Relativity in the same manner as Relativity superceded
> Newtonian mechanics.  That, or the author just doesn't care about all
> the physical ramifications; he/she just needs ftl to tell the story.
> (Either approach is equally valid in my book.)

Something might come along that might be more general than Special
Relativity (gee like General Relativity), but it's incredibly unlikely
that anything will ever contradict Special Relativity.  Special
Relativity is mathematically derived from some very simple assumptions..
If Special Relatvity were found to be incorrect, it would mean that at
least one of those simple assumptions is incorrect.  It is EXTREMELY
unlikely that any of these simple assumptions is incorect, and if one of
them were to be found to be incorrect, it would have far more
ramifications than merely  FTL travel, which then should be dealt with
in the SF story.

			"This is the time
			 And this is the record of the time"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

EVAN@SU-CSLI.ARPA (07/13/85)

From: Evan Kirshenbaum <evan@SU-CSLI.ARPA>

>Actually, according to Special Relativity, faster-than-light travel
>is just plain impossible.  All the sqrt(v^2 / c^2) terms turn
>imaginary...

I'm sure this shows a shocking naivitee on the subject of relativistic
physics, but this argument never made much sense to me.  So what if
the multiplier turns imaginary.  Imaginary numbers have rights too.
Besides, since everything on the ship would have an imaginary mass,
their ratios would still be real.  I've always been surprised that
physicists would throw up their hands at this and say "it's
impossible" rather than finding out just what the consequences of
having imaginary mass, velocity and time would be

Evan Kirshenbaum
-------

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (07/15/85)

[...]

A little relativity theory: we begin with the basic law of
physics F=ma.  What this says is that Force is proportional
to acceleration (provided the mass of the accelerating body
remains constant).  Now one way of interpreting special relativity
says that F=ma is ONLY true for velocities that are small in
comparison to the speed of light.  When you get really fast,
the law breaks down.  You need a lot more force to get the
same amount of acceleration once you get going fast enough.
The faster you're going, the more force you need to get even
a little increase in speed.  Finally, it takes an infinite amount
of force to push something past the speed of light.

All this means is that you can't just put a big rocket engine
on your space-ship and propel it to faster-than-light speeds.
Somehow or other, you have to "get out of the game"; warp drives,
for example, bop out of normal space into a different sort of
environment and bop back into normal space somewhere else,
by-passing the normal space in between.  Another approach is
to diminish the mass of your ship in some currently unknown
way, to compensate for the diminishing return you're getting
from the force you apply.

Tachyons get around the problem by _starting_out_ going faster
than the speed of light.  Since they're already past the boundary,
you don't run into the infinite force problem, so they can happily
do whatever they want.

				Jim Gardner
				University of Waterloo

P.S. Physicists are greatly disquieted by the suggestion that F=ma
could ever be untrue.  Therefore they usually keep the equation and
redefine the "m" (mass) so that the equation still works at high
speeds.  They say that a moving particle has a higher mass than a
particle at rest; as a particle moves faster and faster, its mass
increases, until at the speed of light, its mass is infinite, which
is it would take infinite force to increase the particle's speed.
Of course, then the physicists have to explain why motion adds to
a particle's mass.  Their explanation is that the kinetic energy
of the particle is as good as mass, and indeed, energy is the same
as mass for the purposes of relativity.  Put in equation form,
this is E=m.  And if you use archaic units of measurement, it turns
out that you need a conversion factor in this equation, so you get
E=mc**2.

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/18/85)

/* Written  2:26 pm  Jul 13, 1985 by EVAN@SU-CSLI.ARPA in ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */
I'm sure this shows a shocking naivitee on the subject of relativistic
physics, but this argument never made much sense to me.  So what if
the multiplier turns imaginary.  Imaginary numbers have rights too.

Evan Kirshenbaum
/* End of text from ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */

Really! The subsonic aerodynamics equations will produce complex results if
you try to put supersonic speeds in them. So of course everyone used to say
that it was impossible to fly at supersonic speeds. The problem is that the
subsonic equations include implicit assumptions about such things as how
incompressible air is, and those assumptions do not hold for supersonic
speeds. If you use the correct equations, transonic and supersonic flight
are just dandy. It seems reasonable to me that the same sort of thing could
be true of faster-than-light speeds, i.e., we are making assumptions on this
side of the barrier about physical conditions on the other side that could
be quite wrong, but then I want to believe we can break the light barrier.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (07/19/85)

>> Actually, according to Special Relativity, faster-than-light travel
>> is just plain impossible.  All the sqrt(v^2 / c^2) terms turn
>> imaginary...
>
> I'm sure this shows a shocking naivitee on the subject of relativistic
> physics, but this argument never made much sense to me.  So what if
> the multiplier turns imaginary.  Imaginary numbers have rights too.
> Besides, since everything on the ship would have an imaginary mass,
> their ratios would still be real.  I've always been surprised that
> physicists would throw up their hands at this and say "it's
> impossible" rather than finding out just what the consequences of
> having imaginary mass, velocity and time would be

First, let me state my bias.  There are two camps: those that believe
that FTL can never be achieved, period, there's no point talking about
it; and the rest of us.  I'm one of the rest of us.  Mankind has been
overcoming "insuperable" limits throughout history.  It wasn't so long
ago that many of the best brains in aerodynamics were convinced that
no aircraft would ever reach the speed of sound.  Now to the math ...

FTL problems predicted by special relativity don't center on objects
going faster than light, but rather are concerned with objects
accelerating up to and through the speed of light.  The mass equation,
for example, is

	m = m0 / sqrt(1 - (v^2)/(c^2))

where m is mass, m0 is rest mass, v is your velocity as perceived by
some observer, and c is the speed of light.  If an observer sees you
achieve the speed of light, that observer would also see your mass
become infinite (m0 / 0).  I think it's legitimate to throw up my hands
and say that infinite mass is impossible.

When I contemplate achievement of FTL, I imagine a mechanism that
involves changing your velocity from sub-light to super-light without
going through light.  This would be a discontinuous, "catastrophic"
change.  You would then avoid the infinite mass and go directly to
imaginary mass.

Of course, we still have the problems of violation of causality.
Tachyon theory avoids this by stating that there can be no interaction
at all between a sub-light and a super-light object, so the tachyon
cannot communicate information to the sub-light observer.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (07/19/85)

In article <15754@watmath.UUCP> jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) writes:

>P.S. Physicists are greatly disquieted by the suggestion that F=ma
>could ever be untrue.  Therefore they usually keep the equation and
>redefine the "m" (mass) so that the equation still works at high
>speeds.  They say that a moving particle has a higher mass than a
>particle at rest; as a particle moves faster and faster, its mass
>increases, until at the speed of light, its mass is infinite, which
>is it would take infinite force to increase the particle's speed.
>Of course, then the physicists have to explain why motion adds to
>a particle's mass.  Their explanation is that the kinetic energy
>of the particle is as good as mass, and indeed, energy is the same
>as mass for the purposes of relativity.  Put in equation form,
>this is E=m.  And if you use archaic units of measurement, it turns
>out that you need a conversion factor in this equation, so you get
>E=mc**2.

So mass increases...why not?  It makes as much sense for a physical "constant"
of a body not to be constant as it does for an invariant law to be changeable,
no?  After all, as a body approaches the speed of light, its length decreases
and time slows...why not funny stuff with mass, too?

Roy

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

rubin@mtuxn.UUCP (M.RUBIN) (07/20/85)

Warp drive as found in ST doesn't seem to bounce you out of one part of space
and suddenly into another; instead you cruise steadily, at (warpfactor^3)*c.
Even stranger, stars keep their normal colors; no blue shift ahead nor red
shift astern.
Therefore I suggest: the Enterprise's warp drive creates a zone of Newtonian
physics around the ship.  F=ma with constant mass regardless of velocity,
and those big antimatter engines just accelerate the ship right past c.
But, hmm, why do they always have problems with decaying orbits when their
power runs down?  Aha -- it's not Newtonian, it's ARCHIMEDEAN physics; all
objects tend to remain at rest unless propelled by an impulse!
(cf. Scientific American, "Naive Physics", I don't have the issue in front
of me but it was sometime in '83-'84.)

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (07/22/85)

> [...] The subsonic aerodynamics equations will produce complex results
> if you try to put supersonic speeds in them.  [...] It seems reasonable
> to me that the same sort of thing could be true of faster-than-light
> speeds, i.e., we are making assumptions on this side of the barrier
> about physical conditions on the other side that could be quite wrong,
> but then I want to believe we can break the light barrier.
>						Wombat
>					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat

I agree with this posting to a large degree, but I'd like to add a point
or three.  First, most people don't see the problem at all, saying in
effect "well, the light-speed problem is just another limit, and we'll
get around to solving that one one of these days".  The problem isn't
that we don't have equations that model what would happen in FTL,
(supersonic flight) or that we think that the barrier is beyond our
current technology (heavier than air flight).

One problem is that we don't know of any phenomna at all that exhibit
FTL travel.  Heavier than air flight was obviously possible (birds do
it), and supersonic speeds in air were obviously possible also
(metiorites do it).  Another problem is that we *do* have equations that
model what should happen at FTL speeds, and they all involve causality
violation, or imply time travel in one form or another.  I for one find
this discouraging, but am unwilling to "give up hope", so to speak.
Nevertheless, FTL *is* fundamentally more difficult than any of the
other "limits" that folks have surmounted in the past.

Second, I find some SF treatments of FTL very implausible.  Some simply
reject the notion that a fundamental breakthrough is needed to make FTL
possible, and have FTL occuring without the slightest justification.
Even Star Wars did better than that, and SW isn't noted for scientific
plausibility.  This (to me) is somewhat more jolting to the suspension
of disbeleif than having a character in a story decide that all that is
needed to acheive heavier than air flight is to flap the arms fast
enough... and succeed at it!

And thirdly, most SF ignores the problem that FTL implies time-travel.
However, this doesn't jar my enjoyment of the story, since I just assume
that this little problem has been handled as part of the theoretical
breakthrough (warp drive, tachyon converter, doubletalk generator, or
whatever), that solved the FTL problem in the first place.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/26/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <1622@orca.UUCP> ["Re: FTL Travel"], by andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner)...
+---------------
| >> Actually, according to Special Relativity, faster-than-light travel
| >> is just plain impossible.  All the sqrt(v^2 / c^2) terms turn
| >> imaginary...
| >
| > I'm sure this shows a shocking naivitee on the subject of relativistic
| > physics, but this argument never made much sense to me.  So what if
| > the multiplier turns imaginary.  Imaginary numbers have rights too.
|
| .....................................................It wasn't so long
| ago that many of the best brains in aerodynamics were convinced that
| no aircraft would ever reach the speed of sound.  Now to the math ...
|
| FTL problems predicted by special relativity don't center on objects
| going faster than light, but rather are concerned with objects
| accelerating up to and through the speed of light.  The mass equation,
| for example, is
|
| 	m = m0 / sqrt(1 - (v^2)/(c^2))
|
| where m is mass, m0 is rest mass, v is your velocity as perceived by
| some observer, and c is the speed of light.  If an observer sees you
| achieve the speed of light, that observer would also see your mass
| become infinite (m0 / 0).  I think it's legitimate to throw up my hands
| and say that infinite mass is impossible.
+---------------

But one message on here said that the mass equation was just a way of keeping
F=ma legit at high speeds.  So?  What if it isn't so?  What if the physicists
did it to themselves again -- preserved their prejudices and thereby got the
wrong result?  (The alternate ways to balance the equation are to have the
acceleration increase, or thr force to decrease.)  But who said that either
had to happen?  Maybe F=ma is just plain FALSE at high speeds, and the work-
around is only approximately true, like approximations to functions which
disappear at some points when the real function doesn't; I remember seeing
some in my calculus courses, but I don't remember what they were any more.

Question on a similar subject:  What is ``seen'' by sonar when a supersonic
plane goes trans-sonic?  There are two possibilitis; one, which appears to
match the facts we see, sounds suspiciously like what the Special Relativity
guys say happens at lightspeed...

One possibility is that the sonic record just fades out as the plane crosses
the sound barrier.

The other is that the record has less and less gain as the plane increases,
then suddenly jumps to a maximum, then disappears.  The maximum is the
``sonic boom''.  I suspect this is similar to the idea that lightspeed
particles (i.e. photons) are ``primarily'' energy (i.e. can't hit like a
bullet, but CAN refract), and, if so, may say that S.R. is wrong from the
start.  (And ships going trans-light would cause a ``light boom''; shades
of ST:TMP! :-)

Any comments?

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (07/29/85)

> I think it's legitimate to throw up my hands
> | and say that infinite mass is impossible.
> +---------------
>
> But one message on here said that the mass equation was just a way of keeping
> F=ma legit at high speeds.  So?  What if it isn't so?  What if the physicists
> did it to themselves again -- preserved their prejudices and thereby got the
> wrong result?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131

Sure.  The theory of relativity says that it takes infinite energy to
accelerate a particle up to the speed of light.  Whether one chooses to
regard this as infinite mass as well is a matter of formalism.  In many ways
it is convenient to restrict one's definition of mass to "rest mass", but
this is a trivial point.  The important point is that the effects of
SR can be seen, and are seen, in particle accelerators whenever the particle
energy becomes comparable to the particle rest mass.  This shows up both
in time dilation (the apparent half-life of particles increases) and in
the increasing amount of energy necessary to add to a particle's velocity.
SR is certainly correct in the sense that Newtonian dynamics is correct, ie.
correct in the regime in which it is normally applied.  FTL enthusiasts had
better hope for an extension of physics that allows FTL, not a revocation
of SR.
--

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark Draughn) (08/08/85)

The annoying thing about the idea of FTL travel is what happens when an object
travels faster than the speed of light.  It's relativistic mass drops to zero.
At least the real part does.  The imaginary part shows up, and then dwindles
away toward zero as velocity increases without bound.  The problem with FTL
travel then depends on what "imaginary" means in the real world.  (It's easy
to forget that "imaginary" is just a word and assume that all this means that
objects traveling above the speed of light have no mass.  Depending on one's
school of thought, this may or may not make FTL travel impossible.)  I don't
know what "imaginary mass" means in the real world, and I don't think anyone
else knows either.

                                                   Mark Draughn
                                                   ihnp4!iitcs!draughn
P.S.  Of course you can't just accellerate up through the speed of light.
      Coming from the lower side of c, mass increases toward infinity.