[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #308

YEAGER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (08/07/85)

From: Bill <Yeager@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

I have a fairly complete set of SF & F dating from the 50's, and also
*old* IF and Galaxy editions. I am interested in selling these. I've read
most of them and they are gathering dust.

Interested parties please reply to me and not this list. The books have
lots of fun reading in them!

Bill
-------

Jim_H._Finch.DlosLV@Xerox.ARPA (08/08/85)

From: finch.DlosLV@Xerox.ARPA

>  Well, I just arrived from 1955 (I walked) and the big
>surprise is that it is still cold.  I was in the Ground Observor
>Corps then (we filled the gaps in the Air Defense Command radar net,
>which was more gaps than net) and the question wasn't whether there
>was going to be a nuclear war, it was when.  I for one was utterly
>astonished to see 1984 roll by.  Incidentally, there was a
>now-forgotton Phillip Wylie novel about a mid-1950's nuclear
>exchange between the US and the USSR -- anybody remember the name?

Phillip Wylie Wrote two novels about nuclear war with the Soviet Union.
I don't know the exact time frame for either of them but the titles
were "Tomorrow", which was a comparison of two midwest cities' survival
capabilities. One had a good civil defense plan and the other one had none.

The other title is "Triumph". A story of one very rich man and his multi-
million dollar shelter.

Jim Finch