[mod.computers.laser-printers] Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest V1 #6

Laser-Lovers-Request@WASHINGTON.ARPA (Moderator) (01/25/86)

Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest Saturday, January 25, 1986 9:01AM
Volume 1, Issue 6

Today's Topics:

                     LaserWriter Courier-Oblique
                            LaserWriter II
                     2-up on any PostScript file.
                       Postscript Print Server
                       High-res PS typesetting
                             font names.
                      Mixing Macintosh and Nroff

From: decwrl!allegra!utzoo!aesat!jalsop@glacier
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 86 07:41:29 pst
Subject: LaserWriter Courier-Oblique

Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong! The following code, when
sent to the Laserwriter, prints fine, except that I don't get the Courier-
Oblique font. Instead I get what looks like a 10 pt. Courier font.

The BoldOblique works fine.

30 600 moveto
/s (ABCDEFGhijklmnop 0123456789) def
/nl {s show currentpoint 18 sub exch pop 30 exch moveto} def

/Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont
nl

/Courier-Oblique findfont 12 scalefont setfont
nl

/Courier-BoldOblique findfont 12 scalefont setfont
nl

showpage

Thanks in advance for any help,

John Alsop @ AES Data Inc.
{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!jalsop

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 86 10:26:13 est
From: ned%UPenn-Grasp%upenn.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: LaserWriter II

Apparently, Apple is getting ready to introduce the LaserWriter II, which is
said to run an "extended PostScript". Can anyone clarify how it has been
extended?

--Ned.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86 13:40:46 est
From: ned%UPenn-Grasp%upenn.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: 2-up on any PostScript file.

    Here at Penn, we solved the 2-up problem by writing a prelude and
postlude that can be wrapped around any PostScript file to make it print
2-up (or 4-up or 8-up, etc). The design was guided by the reference manual,
so I think any PostScript code which follows the rules laid out there will
work. It has been tested successfully on output from pscat, psdit, Scribe,
dvips (although it can do 2-up itself), enscript, and even examples from the
cookbook (bigprint.ps (the poster) is interesting!). Everything is taken
care of, including clipping.
    If anyone out there would like a copy, drop me a line.

Ned Batchelder		University of Pennsylvania
(ned@UPenn.CSnet)	CIS Dept, 200 South 33rd Street
(215) 898-5617		Philadelphia, PA, 19104-6389

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jan 16 15:38:43 GMT+1:00 1986
From: mcvax!lasso!ralph@seismo.CSS.GOV	(Ralph Sobek)
Subject: Postscript Print Server

Does anybody have (or have considered) a Postcript machine (e.g., Laserwriter)
hooked up as a print server on an Ethernet either directly or through something
like a Bridge CS/1 ?  How (un)worthwhile is such a venture?  It should allow
the laser printer to run closer to its capacity!?  For example, a Laserwriter
should be able to go way above 9600 bauds to something like 230 Kbauds(?) (in
the documentation that I could get hold of).

Reply to me directly, and if there is enough interest I'll post a summary
to the net.

	Ralph P. Sobek

	UUCP:	mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 86 19:11:10 est
From: allegra!phri!roy@seismo.CSS.GOV (Roy Smith)
Subject: High-res PS typesetting

	There was some discussion a while ago about typesetting shops that
would print PostScript files on high-res devices (i.e. Mergs).  I ran
across an ad in the NY Times which I though some people might be interested
in.  It reads:

	Electronic Publishing -- APPLE LASERWRITER.  Typesetting - Word
	Processing - Desk-top Publishing - Newsletters - 2540 DPI avail -
	IBM to Apple conversion.

	I take this to mean that if you give them a Mac disk (or maybe 1/2
inch tape?) they will run your PS stuff through a Merg for a price.  I have
no idea what that price might be, or any other details.  The only name
given is "PCMS" with a phone number (212)-222-9336.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 86 21:46:29 PST
From: jenny@renoir.berkeley.edu (Kathryn Hargreaves)
Subject: font names.

Hello,
   The cookbook for PostScript says that it's possible to
write a PostScript program to find out what the fonts
are that are loaded on a device. (The fonts' names, that is.)

Unfortunately, they don't bother to tell you what the
program is. Can someone tell me what it is?

Please reply by mail.

Thanks,

ucbvax!jenny   jenny@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 86 09:01:02 cst
From: oakhill!eifert@sally.LOCAL (Jim Eifert)
Subject: Mixing Macintosh and Nroff

	Has anyone worked on including macintosh drawings
in nroff and troff documents?  On our apollo laserprinter,
we can print macintosh documents, or print nroff documents
with a line printer emulator (we are still waiting on ditroff
and ditroff->postscript).  We need to be able to include
the macintosh documents as figures inside the nroff documents
(and troff when we get it).  If anyone has done this,
please let me know how to do it (or what we neet to buy).

Jim Eifert <ut-sally!oakhill!eifert>
Motorola Microcomputer Design
6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. West
Austin, Texas  78735-8598

End of Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest