[mod.computers.laser-printers] pagereversal on the Imagen 12/300

mike%bellcore.com@MOUTON.ARPA (Michael Caplinger) (01/24/86)

The Imagen 12/300 (Ricoh engine) prints pages in the "correct" order;
i.e., the first page into the printer comes out first.  This is the
opposite order from the way the 8/300 prints pages.  My question is
this -- is there any way to ask the printer to print the header page
BEFORE the job rather than after?  I've managed to hack the software to
turn off pagereversal, but the header still comes out wrong.

Actually, I'm less than impressed with the specific support for the
12/300 printer.  The software was all generic 8/300 software (except
for the fonts), the Makefiles didn't work, and this pagereversal
problem has cropped up as well.  If you don't have a fairly experienced
Unix hacker around, you might want to stay away from this one for a
while.  We've also had a persistent problem with toner streaking in the
engine.  (If we didn't have these problems, we'd be pretty happy.)

	Mike Caplinger
	mike@bellcore.com
	ihnp4!bambi!mike

laser-lovers@ucbvax.UUCP (02/01/86)

To: ihnp4!decvax!ucbvax!washington.arpa!laser-lovers
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: pagereversal on the Imagen 12/300

I just got a 24/300 and my information from talking to
their support org is that the header must always be
printer last which means in is at the back of jobs frm
the 24/300 and the 12/300 but at the front of the 8/300
since that print engine prints face up (first page
last). I was told that it was planned (but not
committed) to allow the header first in the next version
of software. I presume that it could not have the page
and character counts  if you did not have page collation
on.

I have to say that I am impresed at the documentation
that now comes with the rpinters. The manuals have
improved dramatically since 1 year ago when I got an
8/300.

			Keith R. Stanley
			Room 4H-313
			Bell Laboratories