[mod.computers.laser-printers] Postscript and Interleaf WPS

DAN@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Dan Blumenfeld) (02/19/86)

According to a recent conversation that I had withn some people at
Interleaf, a postscript driver will be available in the middle of 2Q86.
No price has been set for the driver and (I assume) new font sets.

University people might be interested in knowing that there is a new version
of Interleaf called UPS (University Publishing Software), which has all
the features of TPS except for scanning.  The good part is that the cost
is less than WPS... the catch is that UPS lags TPS by one release, so
TPS customers get all the new goodies first.

Dan Blumenfeld
University of Pennsylvania

berlin@BUCSB.UUCP (David K. Fickes) (03/05/86)

Do you have any information concerning the Interleaf machines...
What I am looking for is primarily "independant reviews" and
complaints... I was over at Interleaf's office in Cambridge
yesterday and was VERY impressed but I want to make sure I get
as much information as I can BEFORE approaching the university
to fund a program based on these machines...

thanks, david
ps. officially I/S Projects Coordinator - Division of Student Affairs

brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA (Bruce Brolsma) (03/07/86)

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Thu, 6 Mar 86 16:00:53 EST
From:     Bruce Brolsma <brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA>
To:       "David K. Fickes" <ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!berlin@ucbvax.berkeley.EDU>
cc:       brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA
Subject:  Re:  Postscript and Interleaf WPS

In a nutshell, I consider Interleaf's strengths to be:

	a) the variety of hardware on which it can run
	b) price

Its weaknesses include:

	a) lack of high-resolution typesetting capability
	   (if 300dpi output is not sufficient for your
	    typesetting application)
	b) weak element identifier system (compared, for
           example, to the new ANSI Standard Generalized
           Markup Language standard)
	c) lack of control over intercharacter spacing
	   (kerning).  This means that if some letter
	   combinations appear unattractive to you, you
	   will have no ability to tweak the spacing.

Our reader audience (scientific software) expects high-quality
high-resolution (> 1000 dpi) output and appearance that the
Interleaf could not meet.  Consequently we rejected it in
favor of a more powerful (albeit more expensive) WYSIWYG system.
I consider it a fine system if your applications don't
require high-res, fine-tuned output.

Be aware, too, that the Sun port always gets the latest
software.  Other ports follow along at later intervals...

	Bruce Brolsma
	Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.
	Cambridge, MA

	brolsma@bbn-spca

----- End of forwarded messages

dlu%tektools%tektronix.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Doug Urner) (03/17/86)

When last I talked to folks from Interleaf they were able to drive a
small number of "commercial" phototypesetters - amoung them the 762 dpi
APS-5.  When PostScript support becomes available you will be able to
use Linotype's 300 series of PostScript machines which are capable of
better than 1000 dpi (in some incarnations).

Doug Urner