[mod.computers.laser-printers] problem with LaserWriter

tony%cs.qmc.ac.uk@CS.UCL.AC.UK.UUCP (05/13/86)

Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: problem with LaserWriter

In article <8605081724.AA01762@gould9> joel@gould9.UUCP.UUCP writes:
>We're using the mac 512 (64k rom) and the 2.0 LaserWriter driver.
>Every so often we get
>       Error in POSTSCRIPT.  Document is ok, but cannot be printed.
>The machine is also used by an IBM AT, and the last time the
>error happened, it had just been used for MS-Word by the AT since
>the Mac last used it.  I powered down the LW (after trying repeatedly)
>and it worked just fine.
>
>The MS-DOS MS-Word downloads its own PostScript interpreter, as does the
>Mac printer driver.  Does anyone know if there's an incompatibility
>between the two?
>
>       Joel West               (619) 457-9681
>       CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037
>       {cbosgd, ihnp4, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
>       joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

        When we got our first LaserWriter we thought we'd
change the password (can't remember what for!). We use it over
RS232 from our VAX most of the time, but on the odd occasion we
connected our Mac to the LW we got just that message when
trying to print something. When we got our second LW, and
didn't change the password, everything worked ok with the Mac.
Maybe MS-Word alters the password???