[mod.computers.laser-printers] Imagen support

ZBEN@UMD2.UMD.EDU (Ben Cranston) (06/11/86)

> From: phil@RICE.EDU (William LeFebvre)
> Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
> Subject: Imagen customer service (was QMS PS-800)
> Date: 2 Jun 86 20:17:16 GMT

[LeFebvre is quoting someone ELSE here... -zben]
>> Imagen makes reasonable printers, but I would have to say that they
>> are one of the worst companies to deal with when something doesn't
>> work right.  Imagen seems to think they know all the answers and that
>> their customers should learn to accept what is "best" for them.

> I have said this before in this forum and I will say it again now.  I
> have heard several complaints about Imagen's customer service, yet I
> continue to find them a very pleasant and helpful company to deal with
> when "something goes wrong"...
> Now, granted, all of our problems have been hardware problems.  I have
> never had the necessity to deal with the "applications support" people.

On the two occasions I had to talk to the "applications support" people,
both times I talked to sympathetic knowledgable people who took the time
to talk things out.  As it turns out, in the LBP-10 to 8/300 conversion
they broke a few things upon which I was relying (glyphs bigger than about
500 by 500 or so, as reported to the net at the time, and the DGLY stuff).
Nothing that couldn't be programmed around...

>> One advantage (debatable) that Imagen claims to have is direct
>> connection to Ethernet. I don't see this as much of an advantage
>> since host computers have to have fonts, filters, and formatters
>> anyway. The network connection also increases the price of their
>> hardware.

> True, the network connection increases the cost.  But it does have a
> distinct advantage.  Since the host has to have, as you said, all the
> "fonts, filters, and formatters", more data than just the document and
> the formatting instructions gets shipped to the printer---the font
> bitmaps get shipped as well.  This can be a considerable amount of
> data.  The ethernet has the potential to move this data much faster
> than a 9600 baud serial line does.

My own experience is that adding the font bitmaps just about doubles the
size of the data transfer.  If the limiting factor is the 8 pages per
minute of the engine, I don't think the line speed is much of a factor.

One would think that when doing pictures the opposite would be true...

>    William LeFebvre
>    Department of Computer Science
>    Rice University
>    <phil@Rice.edu>