[mod.computers.laser-printers] Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest V1 #17

Laser-Lovers-Request@WASHINGTON.ARPA (Moderator) (07/28/86)

Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest   Sunday, July 27, 1986 7:35PM
Volume 1, Issue 17

Today's Topics:

                             Request info
                    Macintosh-generated PostScript
                    LaserWriter "syntaxerror" bug
                    program to print font catalog
                        LaserWriter+ AFM files
                  Re: program to print font catalog
                  Font Metrics for LaserWriter Plus
                       PostScript Bind operator

Date:         Thu, 15 May 1986 20:33 EDT
From:           Ed Kear  <USERHF91%CLVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      Request info

We are considering purchasing a number of QMS/PostScript laser printers, but
before we can convince the people with the bucks, we need to determine the
availability of software to perform the following tasks under VAX/VMS and
Gould/UTX-32 (Unix):

   * TeX dvi to PostScript.

   * Graphic output to PostScript (currently all our graphic software
        drives Tektronix type devices and VT100s)

   * Scale graphic output and place in a TeX document.

   * Printing of ASCII files.

   * Emulation of any popular line printer, for compatibility with
        existing word-processing software on micros.

If you have, or know about, software packages that can perform some of the
above, please drop me a note. Please remember that I'm stuck here on BITNET so
I can't just pull files off ARPAnet nodes.

If you have had any operating experience with a QMS/PostScript printer that
you'd like to share, or if you can recommend a "better" printer, I'd be more
than happy to hear from you.

thanx                  Ed Kear
                     userhf91@clvm.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 86 14:52:23 pdt
From: micropro!kepler!mojo@lll-crg.ARPA (Morris Jones)
Subject: Macintosh-generated PostScript

What's the deal?  A co-worker offered me some PostScript source
that he promised would be interesting.  The PostScript was
generated by MacDraw.

Now I'm using a QMS PS-800 attached to an IBM AT.  This PostScript
is full of operators that my printer has never seen before.

Would one of you Mac-heads fill me in on this one?

Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!kepler!mojo

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 14 May 1986 15:49:38
Subject: LaserWriter "syntaxerror" bug
From: "Cambridge Phoenix - CAM.PHX@CAM.ENG-ICF" <CET1%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

On Monday, 21 April 1986 I reported in this bulletin board
> There seems to be a bug in the LaserWriter (revision 0, PostScript
> version 23.0), when driven via the RS232 port, to do with "syntaxerror":
> after the usual error message the input stream is not flushed. Instead
> an EOT (ctrl/D) is sent immediately by the LW and it then starts to
> interpret the rest of the stream as a new job. Can anyone confirm this
> effect, and/or state whether it is restricted to "syntaxerror" (as it
> appears to me to be), and/or indicate whether it is fixed in revision 2?

I haven't had any comeback from anyone. (Does anyone from Adobe read
this bulletin board?) I would welcome even a response denying the
existence of this bug! I can now add the following:
A) The effect does NOT happen on a LaserWriter Plus: we have just had
   one of our LW's upgraded, and that is now the only one it doesn't
   happen on.
B) Communications with Ralph Martin lead me to believe that it doesn't
   happen using the Appletalk interface, only using RS232.

In case my original description was not sufficiently explicit, here
is a PostScript program that exhibits the problem:

  123) (Hello, I'm still here\n) print AnotherError

Send that on the RS232 port, and look at what comes back.

Chris Thompson
CET1%CAM.PHX.AC.UK@UCL-CS.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 May 86 09:54:24 edt
From: Eric Gisin <egisin%waterloo.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: program to print font catalog

This program prints all the encoded characters of a PostScript font
on a page (24 point characters).  The character code, width and name are also
included.  See the end of the program to see how fonts are selected, and
uncomment one of the lines or add your own.

To make this work with the Hershey fonts created by the hersel program,
include the following fix to makefont.ps and remake the fonts.
(Hershey fonts take several minutes each).

*** makefont.ps.old	Thu May  8 09:06:33 1986
--- makefont.ps	Thu May  8 10:41:21 1986
***************
*** 87,89

! 	/Encoding StandardEncoding def
  	/BuildChar {HersheyBuildDict begin BuildHersheyChar end} def

--- 87,91 -----

! 	/Encoding [
! 	 StandardEncoding {dup CharData exch known not {pop /.notdef} if} forall
! 	] def
  	/BuildChar {HersheyBuildDict begin BuildHersheyChar end} def

	Eric Gisin, egisin@waterloo.csnet, egisin@watmath.uucp

================================

%!PS-Adobe-1.0
%%Creator: Eric Gisin <egisin@waterloo.csnet>
%%Title: Print font catalog
% Copyright (c) 1986 Eric Gisin

% Example usages at bottom of file

/#copies 1 def

/T6 /Times-Roman findfont 6 scalefont def
/Temp 64 string def
/Inch {72 mul} def
/Base 16 def	% char code output base

% do single character of page
% output to rectangle ll=(0,-24) ur=(36,24)
/DoChar {
  /C exch def
  /S (_) dup 0 C put def
  /N F /Encoding get C get def

  % print code name, width and char name
  /W F setfont S stringwidth pop def
  T6 setfont
  N /.notdef ne {0 -20 moveto N Temp cvs show} if
  0 -12 moveto C Base Temp cvrs show (  ) show
  W 0.0005 add Temp cvs 0 5 getinterval show

  % print char with reference lines
  N /.notdef ne {
    3 0 translate
    0 0 moveto F24 setfont S show
    /W S stringwidth pop def
    0 -6 moveto 0 24 lineto
    W -6 moveto W 24 lineto
    -3 0 moveto W 3 add 0 lineto
    0 setlinewidth stroke
  } if
} def

% print font sample page
/DoFont {
  /FName exch def	% font name
  /F FName findfont def
  /F24 F 24 scalefont def
  /Line0 96 string def
  /Line1 96 string def

  /Times-Roman findfont 18 scalefont setfont
  18 10.5 Inch moveto FName Temp cvs show ( ) show ((24 point)) show

  0 1 95 {
    /I exch def
    /Xn I 16 mod def /Yn I 16 idiv def

    % chars 20-7F
    gsave
    Xn 36 mul 18 add Yn -48 mul 9.5 Inch add translate
    Line0 I I 16#20 add put
    I 16#20 add DoChar
    grestore

    % chars A0-FF
    gsave
    Xn 36 mul 18 add Yn -48 mul 4.5 Inch add translate
    Line1 I I 16#A0 add put
    I 16#A0 add DoChar
    grestore
  } for

  F 10 scalefont setfont
  18 5.5 Inch moveto Line0 show
  18 0.5 Inch moveto Line1 show

  showpage
} def

% Do font samples
% /Times-Roman DoFont			% Test (less than a minute)
% /Hershey-Gothic-English DoFont	% Test (8 minutes)

% Do a complete catalog
% FontDirectory {pop DoFont} forall	% All fonts (quite a long time)

------------------------------

From: adobe!shore@su-glacier.arpa (Andrew Shore)
Date: 31 May 1986 1645-PDT (Saturday)
Subject: LaserWriter+ AFM files

The AFM (Adobe Font Metric) files for all of the fonts in Apple
LaserWriter Plus are in the INFO-POSTSCRIPT archive area on SU-SCORE
and are available for ARPA FTP.

The files (AFM.*) are on [SU-SCORE.ARPA]PS:<INFO-POSTSCRIPT>
A list of them all is in AFM.FONT-LIST.
They total close to 1/2 megabyte of data.

The AFM file format has been expanded to include kerning and composite
character information.  The document fully describing this new format
will be available soon.

The INFO-POSTSCRIPT moderators ask me to please mention the following:

	DO NOT FTP to Score between 9am and 5pm Pacific Time

	UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should they ask the moderator
	of INFO-POSTSCRIPT (or me) to send them the messages
	via mail

--Andy Shore
  Adobe Systems Incorporated

------------------------------

From: stanonik@nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik)
Date: 29 May 1986 0909-PDT (Thursday)
Subject: Re: program to print font catalog

Nice.  Hmm, does anyone have something similar to
construct afm files.  We recently upgraded to a
Laserwriter+, which included roms with more fonts,
but didn't include the afm files needed by pscatmap
to make troff width tables.

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
stanonik@nprdc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 86 10:33:52 CDT
From: bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas M. Bates)
Subject: Font Metrics for LaserWriter Plus

I think I have seen this question asked before but I haven't seen
an answer to it. Are the Adobe Font Metric (afm) files for the
additional fonts in the LaserWriter Plus available? If not, does anyone
have a PostScript procedure to make the printer generate the font metric
files (using the `stringwidth' and `charpath flattenpath pathbbox'
sequences)?

The TranScript software assigns one and two character names for the
standard fonts available on a PostScript printer to be used with ditroff.
(for example, Helvetica-BoldOblique is called HD). Does anyone have
suggestions on naming conventions for the additional fonts? The AT&T
driver for the APS-5 typesetter uses PA, PB, PI, and PO for the Palatino
family but what about the AvantGarde, Bookman and NewCenturySchlbk
families or the ZapfChancery-MediumItalic font.

I can imagine that the ZapfDingbats font is going to be a lot of fun to
use. It looks as if the character encoding corresponds to the symbol
font rather than the Adobe StandardEncoding. Any guesses of ways to
access these symbols in ditroff? It may be possible to mount that
font as the symbol font and perform the translation manually but I
think that would be very tedious.

There are several trademarks used in this message. Please consider them
to be acknowledged.

Douglas M. Bates @ wisconsin      "The controls on our amplifiers go up to 11."
                                     -- This is Spinal Tap
ARPA:	bates@stat.wisc.edu
UUCP:	...!{heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!uwvax!bates

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 86 01:58:17 pdt
From: decwrl!allegra!utzoo!aesat!jalsop@su-glacier.arpa
Subject: PostScript Bind operator

The "bind" operator is used in various places (e.g. downloaded error handler)
but is not described in the PostScript manual (at least not in my copy!).

Could someone please advise as to its function?

Thanks,

John Alsop @ AES Data Inc.
{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!jalsop

End of Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest