[net.sf-lovers] Earth's radio brightness

KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA (08/08/85)

From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>

  The Earth is much brighter in the microwave region of the spectrum
than the Sun is.
  The Sun gives off small amounts of radio waves and microwaves because
of its heat.  Jupiter gives off very small amounts of radio waves
for that reason.  Jupiter's main radio emissions are in the 10 meter
and the 0.1 meter bands, and are NOT thermal, but are caused either
by giant lighning storms on the planet or, more likely, by ions from
Io spiralling in Jupiter's magnetic field.  Jupiter does NOT radiate
hardly any microwaves.
  Earth is always brighter than the Sun in the microwave region due
mainly to high power military radar.  But if a large, highly directional
antenna such as the one at Aricebo is used, the Earth is, in one direction
only, on one frequency only, one of the brightest microwave sources in the
whole galaxy, and can communicate with a similar station 1000 light years
away.
								...Keith

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/09/85)

> From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
>
>   Earth is always brighter than the Sun in the microwave region due
> mainly to high power military radar.  But if a large, highly directional
> antenna such as the one at Aricebo is used, the Earth is, in one direction
> only, on one frequency only, one of the brightest microwave sources in the
> whole galaxy, and can communicate with a similar station 1000 light years
> away.
> 								...Keith

The latter statement is true, but not relavent to the conversation,
since the original posting involved "the earth sticking out like
a sore thumb." And, unless you happen to be looking from the right
direction at the right time on the right frequency, we aren't.

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!