[mod.computers.laser-printers] Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest V1 #18

Laser-Lovers-Request@WASHINGTON.ARPA.UUCP (08/02/86)

Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest   Saturday, August 2, 1986 1:50PM
Volume 1, Issue 18

Today's Topics:

                            New Laser Prep
                   Interpreting the new Laser Prep
              Troff names for the LaserWriter Plus fonts
                          Re: New Laser Prep
                       Re: New Laser Prep file
                  re: laserwriter "syntaxerror" bug
           Previewer wanted and possible Transcript 2.0 bug

Date:  2 Jun 1986 20:39-EDT
From: Mike.Blackwell@rover.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: New Laser Prep

Does anyone have a text version of the latest Apple Laser Prep? I'm
having trouble extracting it from the resource file - if someone else
has already done it, it will save me that much more hair pulling...

I've also noticed that when you create PostScript files from the Mac
with the new system, a control-D is appended to the end file - it used
to not do this, and that spurious end-of-file creates havok when
including a Mac-generated doc inside a larger one, unless you filter it
out.

		thanks!  -m-		mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date:  3 Jun 1986 17:52-EDT
From: Mike.Blackwell@rover.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Interpreting the new Laser Prep

Here's a modified version of Brian Reid's mlisp function that will
convert the latest Apple Laser Prep (3.0) into a PostScript text file.

		-m-	mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

-------------------- cvt.ml --------------------

;  This function reads a Laser_Prep.rsrc file, as transmitted from a
;  Macintosh, and converts it into an Ascii text PostScript file suitable
;  for manual downloading into a LaserWriter. If you have this file in
;  its textual form, you can share a LaserWriter between a Unix system and
;  a Macintosh.
;
;  For Gosling Emacs. It will work in Unipress Emacs if you fix the spelling
;  of "error-occured".
;
;  Brian Reid, Stanford.
;  June 14, 1985
;
;  Mike Blackwell, Carnegie-Mellon - fixed to work with Laser Prep 3.0.
;  June 3, 1986
;
(defun
    (comment-line
	 (search-forward (arg 1))
	 (beginning-of-line)
	 (insert-string "%-")
    )
    (cvt count stopflag
	 (visit-file "Laser_Prep.rsrc")
	 (error-occurred (visit-file "LaserPrep.ps"))
	 (erase-buffer)
	 (pop-to-buffer "Laser_Prep.rsrc")
	 (setq stopflag 0)
	 (beginning-of-file)
	 (search-forward "0000000000")
	 (search-reverse "0000000000")
	 (backward-character)
	 (while (& (! (eobp)) (= stopflag 0))
		(setq count (following-char))
		(if (< count 0)
		    (setq stopflag 1)
		    (= count 0)
		    (progn
			  (sit-for 0)
			  (provide-prefix-argument 5 (forward-character))
		    )
		    (progn
			   (forward-character)
			   (set-mark)
			   (provide-prefix-argument count
			       (forward-character)
			   )
			   (if (eobp) (setq stopflag 1))
			   (append-region-to-buffer "LaserPrep.ps")
			   (save-excursion
			       (pop-to-buffer "LaserPrep.ps")
			       (end-of-file)
			       (insert-string "\n")
			   )
		    )
		)
	 )
	 (pop-to-buffer "LaserPrep.ps")
	 (end-of-file) (set-mark)
	 (sit-for 0)
	 (search-reverse "currentfile")
	 (insert-string "%-")
	 (end-of-line) (forward-character) (delete-to-killbuffer)
	 (sit-for 0)
	 (beginning-of-file)
	 (comment-line "0000000000")
	 (comment-line "exitserver")
	 (comment-line "sccinteractive")
	 (comment-line "waittimeout")
	 (beginning-of-file)
	 (insert-string "%! Macintosh LaserWriter header file.\n")
	 (insert-string "% Converted from LaserPrep on ")
	 (insert-string (current-time))
	 (insert-string "\n")
    )
)
(message "Run the function 'cvt' to convert Laser_Prep.rsrc into LaserPrep.ps")
(sit-for 20)

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 86 18:21:49 EDT (Tue)
From: topaz!nomad!ggr@seismo.CSS.GOV (Guy Riddle)
Subject: Troff names for the LaserWriter Plus fonts

Other than Zapf Chancery Medium Italic (which I called ZC) I decided to
use the upper/lower-case scheme I invented to handle all those Hershey
Fonts I had to name.  It really is a chore to squeeze all those names into
two characters and end up with something meaningful.

Below are the shell files I use to create my "font family" directories
which allow me to print, say, a manual page in Bookman by

	rat -man -FBookman ps.1

without changing the troff input source.

		=== Guy Riddle == AT&T Bell Laboratories, New Jersey ===
				ggr.btl@csnet-relay.ARPA
				       ulysses!ggr

P.S.  I also "grandfathered" the "standard" DWB names for the Palatino family.

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create the files:
#	makefamily
#	family
# This archive created: Tue Jun  3 18:06:02 1986
export PATH; PATH=/bin:$PATH
echo shar: extracting "'makefamily'" '(474 characters)'
if test -f 'makefamily'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'makefamily'"
else
cat << \SHAR_EOF > 'makefamily'
#	Family Name	R  I  B  BI

family Courier		C  CO CB CD
family Helvetica	H  HO HB HD
family AvantGarde	ag aG Ag AG
family Bookman		bo bO Bo BO
family Helvetica-Narrow	hn hN Hn HN
family NewCentury	nc nC Nc NC
family Palatino		PA PI PB PX
family Hershey-Triplex	ht hT Ht HT
family Hershey-Plain	hp hP Hp Hp
family Gothic-English	ge gE Ge Ge
family Gothic-German	gg gG Gg Gg
family Gothic-Italian	gi gI Gi Gi
family Script-Simplex	ss sS Ss Ss
family Script-Complex	sc sC Sc Sc
SHAR_EOF
if test 474 -ne "`wc -c < 'makefamily'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'makefamily'" '(should have been 474 characters)'
fi
chmod +x 'makefamily'
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'family'" '(463 characters)'
if test -f 'family'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'family'"
else
cat << \SHAR_EOF > 'family'
echo Family: $* 1>&2

etc=/usr/add-on/ps/etc
font=/usr/add-on/ps/font

cd $font

f=$1
d=$f/devpsc
shift

base=Times/devpsc

rm -fr $f
mkdir $f $d

(cd $base; ln * $font/$d)

for s in '' .aux .map .out
do
	ln $base/$1$s $d/R$s
	ln $base/$2$s $d/I$s
	ln $base/$3$s $d/B$s
	ln $base/$4$s $d/BI$s
done
for t in R I B
do
	mv $d/$t /tmp/fam.$$
	rm $d/$t.out
	sed -e "/^name/s/.*/name $t/" /tmp/fam.$$ >$d/$t
done

cd $d
rm DESC.out
$etc/makedev DESC
rm -f /tmp/fam.$$
SHAR_EOF
if test 463 -ne "`wc -c < 'family'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'family'" '(should have been 463 characters)'
fi
chmod +x 'family'
fi # end of overwriting check
#	End of shell archive
exit 0

------------------------------

From: adobe!greid@su-glacier.ARPA
Date:  3 Jun 1986 2210-PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Re: New Laser Prep

>Does anyone have a text version of the latest Apple Laser Prep? I'm
>having trouble extracting it from the resource file - if someone else

Mike--

You can "trap" the current LaserPrep file by hitting command-K instead
of command-F to save the document as PostScript.  In order to do this,
I think you have to make sure that the LaserPrep is not already loaded
into the printer (power-cycle it), then the document will be diverted
to disk along with the entire text of the LaserPrep file when you hit
command-K....

Make sure you have lots of room on your disk when you do this--the
LaserPrep file is pretty big.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Palo Alto

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Jun 86 13:02:40-CDT
From: Brian H. Powell <CS.Powell@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: New Laser Prep file

     As I pointed out in info-mac, Apple hasn't come out with a definitive
new Laser Prep file.  The one that came out with LaserWriter 3.0 has
LaserPrep appledict version #36.  LaserWriter 3.1 is in beta test and has
appledict version #38.
     I had done most of the work decompiling version 36 when I found out
about 38, so I stopped working on it.

Brian H. Powell		brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU
			CS.Powell@r20.UTEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 86 13:18:53 EDT
From: OSTROFF@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: re: laserwriter "syntaxerror" bug

(I don't know whether it was me or my mailer, but I couldn't reply to
 the original sender.)

 This refers to the problem of postscript apparently not really
flushing to end of job after a "syntaxerror" when communicating on the
RS232 port.  I hope this isn't the only reply about this - but I
haven't seen anything on laser-lovers or info-postscript.  I was able
to duplicate the error on our older laserwriter (version 23.0 of
postscript, according to the version command).  The error does not
occur on our newer (version 2) laserwriter (not a laserwriter plus)
(version 38.0 of postscript).

Jack  (OSTROFF@RED.RUTGERS.EDU or OSTROFF@RUTGERS.ARPA)

------------------------------

Subject: Previewer wanted and possible Transcript 2.0 bug
Date: 05 Jun 86 18:45:22 EST (Thu)
From: "Francie Newbery" <fjn@Purdue.EDU>

Does anyone know of the existence of a Postscript previewer which
could be used on a Sun workstation?  We would be very interested in
such a thing since it would let us preview Tex, ditroff, or just plain
postscript.

We recently began running the Transcript 2.0 software and have noticed
some rather strange behavior.  Occaisionally, a (ditroff) job which is sent
to the printer produces the error
	  %%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: cf ]%%
when in fact the only "cf"'s in the postscript file are those from the
psdit.pro.  The rest of the job is then supposedly flushed, the listener
process gets EOF from the printer, but then it goes off into this state
where it just prints the final phase alarm message (FA.....) in the log
file forever.  Killing the filters and restarting is of no use.  The only thing
that seems to help is to power cycle the printer.  Then when the printer daemon
resends that exact same job, things go very smoothly -- no "OffendingCommand"
error messages or anything.  The job prints just fine and so does the
next one (for a while).  The Transcript software is running on a VAX 780
running 4.2BSD and using the Berkeley lpr spooling programs. The abnormal
behavior shows up on both an Apple Laserwriter and a QMS 800 Postscript printer.

Has anyone else noticed this (or better yet, have a fix for it)?  What
bothers me most about it, is that it's not reliably repeatable.  When you
resend the exact same job, it usually works.  Seems possibly load dependent.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Francie Newbery
Purdue University CS dept.

End of Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest