[mod.computers.laser-printers] Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest V1 #19

Laser-Lovers-Request@WASHINGTON.ARPA (Moderator) (08/03/86)

Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest   Saturday, August 2, 1986 8:13PM
Volume 1, Issue 19

Today's Topics:

                      bit decay in laserwriters?
                      PostScript Color Hardcopy.
                     laserwriter+ addtional fonts
                                phoon

From: Antony Williams <asw%vax-d.rutherford.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 14:47:33 -0100
Subject: bit decay in laserwriters?

Has anyone seen the folowing effect on LaserWriters?

We are using Sun LaserWriters.  In a recent document, I noticed
that some characters in Times-Roman (u,v,w,x,y,z) were printing
noticeably smaller than others (e,r,m,n).
I ran some tests (included below), and found that it only
happened on one particular printer, and only at 10pt size.
(This size is the default for troff -ms :-)
Power-cycling the printer fixed the fault, so I surmise
that it was a fault in the cached representation, not in the font
itself.  The question is: are laserwriters prone to bit decay?
    Tony
-------------------------
%!PS

% test file for characters printing too small

/tr /Times-Roman findfont def

/inch {72 mul} def

1 inch 9 inch translate
/teststring (wewrwmwn xexrxmxn ueurumun yeyrymyn zezrzmzn uwxyzermn) def

/showit {tr exch scalefont setfont 0 0 moveto teststring show 0 -0.25 inch translate } def

[ 16 15 14 13 12.5 12 11.5 11 10.5 10 9.5 9 8.5 8 7.5 7 6.5 6 ] {showit} forall

showpage
Tony Williams					|Informatics Division
UK JANET:	asw@uk.ac.rl.vd			|Rutherford Appleton Lab
Usenet:		{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!asw	|Chilton, Didcot
ARPAnet:	asw%vd.rl.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa	|Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

------------------------------

Subject: PostScript Color Hardcopy.
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 86 16:34:33 EDT
From: Tony Della Fera <tony@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

	Does  anyone  have  a  list of color hardcopy devices (if any)
that  support  PostScript??   35mm  Slide  imagers,  Plotters,  InkJet
printers etc. are all of interest to me.

						Tony...

------------------------------

From: stanonik@nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik)
Date: 25 June 1986 1034-PDT (Wednesday)
Subject: laserwriter+ addtional fonts

Thanks to Andy Shore for the afm files for the
additional fonts in the Laserwriter+.  Now we
have width tables for troff and ditroff.  We
did have to make some changes:
1) StartFontMetrics 2.0 in each afm file had to
   be changed to StartFontMetrics 1.0.  (We're
   running Transcript 2.0, but the code for making
   troff widths expected 1.0.)
2) StartCharMetrics XXX in each afm file (where
   XXX is the number of character metrics) had
   to be changed to just StartCharMetrics, again
   to please the troff width table code.
3) The widths of the perthousand characters in
   Bookman-Demi and Bookman-DemiItalic were too
   big (exceeded 5*256, whatever that means) for
   the ditroff width table code, so we commented
   those characters out.

Next question is has anyone made Dingbats available
to ditroff?  (I see no way to do this for troff.)
One solution would be to edit the afm file to give
the Dingbats regular names (eg, a, b, c, etc).
(Actually, the afm file would probably have to be
broken into two afm files to get all of the Dingbats.)
Another solution would be to add two character names
for all of the Dingbats to devspec and make the
Dingbats another special font.  In either case
some changes to both the afm and afmdit.awk files
would be neccessary.  Anyone already invented this
wheel?

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
stanonik@nprdc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon 30 Jun 86 15:47:12-PDT
From: Mark Lottor <MKL@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: phoon

Here's a little hack to print a picture of the current
phase of the moon.  All you need to do is give it the
current time (in net format).

%phoon -- draws a picture of the current PHase Of the moON
%by Mark K. Lottor, 1986
%based on a program by J.Poskanzer
%
%x,y is center of moon, r is radius, tad is time/date in net format
% net format is number of seconds since 1900 (GMT)
%args:  x,y,r,tad
/phoon
{
/moondate exch def
/Mr exch def
/My exch def
/Mx exch def
/pi 3.1415926535 def
/anewmoon 2497886484 def    %the date of a new moon (2/26/79 17:21:24-gmt)
/synodicperiod 2551443 def  %the period for moons (29d 12h 44m 3s)
/internalphase moondate anewmoon sub dup
 synodicperiod div truncate synodicperiod mul sub def
/angularphase internalphase synodicperiod div 2 mul pi mul def
/minuscosangularphase angularphase pi div 180 mul cos neg def
Mx Mr sub 10 sub My Mr sub 10 sub moveto Mr 2 mul 20 add dup box 0 setgray fill
angularphase 0 ge angularphase pi lt and {righthalfmoon} {lefthalfmoon} ifelse
} def

/righthalfmoon
{ Mx My moveto Mx My Mr 270 90 arc 1 setgray fill
minuscosangularphase 0 le {0 rightellipse} {1 leftellipse} ifelse
} def

/lefthalfmoon
{ Mx My moveto Mx My Mr 90 270 arc 1 setgray fill
minuscosangularphase 0 le {0 leftellipse} {1 rightellipse} ifelse
} def

/rightellipse
{ Mx My Mr minuscosangularphase abs mul Mr 270 90 ellipse setgray fill } def

/leftellipse
{ Mx My Mr minuscosangularphase abs mul Mr 90 270 ellipse setgray fill} def

/ellipsedict 8 dict def
ellipsedict /mtrx matrix put

/ellipse
 {ellipsedict begin
	/endangle exch def
	/startangle exch def
	/yrad exch def
	/xrad exch def
	/y exch def
	/x exch def
	/savematrix mtrx currentmatrix def
	x y translate
	xrad yrad scale
	0 0 1 startangle endangle arc
	savematrix setmatrix
	end
 }def

% x y box
/box
{currentpoint
newpath
moveto
/y exch def
/x exch def
x 0 rlineto
0 y rlineto
x neg 0 rlineto
closepath
} def

300 300 16 2722784200 phoon

showpage

End of Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest