Date: Sat, 9 Aug 86 21:55:11 edt
From: lesk@petrus.arpa (Michael Lesk)
To: amsler@petrus.arpa, reid@decwrl.dec.com, furuta@washington.arpa
Subject: maps

Street maps of all US cities are available from the U. S. Census Bureau,
Data Users Services Division.  Call 301-763-4100 and ask about GBF/DIME
files.  Typically a single SMSA (Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area)
fits on a tape and costs about $135.

The U. S. Geological Survey provides Digital Terrain Models (digitized
versions of the 1:250 000 series, altitude given at grid points); a
1:2 000 000 vector map of the whole USA, plus more detailed maps of a very
few areas: call the U. S. Geological Survey, 703-860-6336.

The CIA has a map of the whole world, outlines only.  It is sold as World
Data Bank II, from the National Technical Information Service.  The
ordering numbers are: N. America PB 271 868, S. America PB 271 870, Europe
PB 271 871, Africa PB 271 872, Asia PB 271 873.  Your local library will
be quite familiar with procedures for ordering from NTIS.

Among foreign countries, at least Great Britain has some map information
in machine-readable form.  I have not checked any other countires.

There are major changes coming in machine-readable maps for the 1990
Census -- but I don't believe the new data is available to the public
yet.  The Defense Mapping Agency also has data, not always available
to the public (usually the USGS serves as their agent for civilian sales).

Let me know if this is not sufficiently responsive to your request.
Also, I have not called some of those phone numbers in a year or two --
let me know if they have changed or you have trouble reaching them.

Michael Lesk