[net.sf-lovers] New York Times reviews and D. Tucker

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (08/12/85)

>  From: dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker)
>  Subject: THE PROBLEMS OF SCIENCE FICTION TODAY, PART IX
>
>  .....  And I've never read
>  a science fiction book review which remotely approached the caliber of the
>  New York Times Book Review, with the exception of Delany's review of Thomas
>  Disch's "Angouleme", a semiotic study more than a review, and Damon Knight
>  on Blish's "Common Time".    .....

	I have never read a book review from the New York Times, but
judging by the context of your sentence I would quess that it is
a very comprehensive review.
	When I read a book review I don't always want a review
that is "in-depth".  There's a good chance that somewhere in such a
review too much of the plot would be given away.
	I suppose it all depends on why a person reads certain books.
With some books I get a great deal of pleasure just reading all of the turns
of the plot.  When I read the Thomas Covenent series I felt this way.
I found Donaldson's writing style fairly hard going (I worn out
my dictionary!), but I couldn't wait to see what would happen to
Covenent on the next page.
	For other books it doesn't matter if I know even the exact plot!
I get my pleasure out of reading a well written yarn.  This is
the way that I read Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy
(which I've read three times.  (no, that is not a boast.  I know
people who have read it dozens of times.))
	A "New York Times"-like review might well have spoiled
a great deal of the Convenent series, but not the LotR series.   *
So, Davis, your a little right and a little wrong (in my opinion),
but that's the way most opinions are [even my own :-) ].

			       Dwight Bartholomew
UUCP:{ decvax, seismo, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  }!pur-ee!pur-phy!dub
     { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax }|purdue!pur-phy!dub

* - recursion alert!

  Help promote peace and make the world a safer place for parakeets.
						       (and people)