[net.sf-lovers] 85/55 surprises

Boebert.SCOMP@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (08/04/85)

From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

Somebody asked what about 1985 would surprise somebody from 1955, and
somebody else responded that it would be that the cold war was still on.
Well, I just arrived from 1955 (I walked) and the big surprise is that
it is still cold.  I was in the Ground Observor Corps then (we filled
the gaps in the Air Defense Command radar net, which was more gaps than
net) and the question wasn't whether there was going to be a nuclear
war, it was when.  I for one was utterly astonished to see 1984 roll by.
Incidentally, there was a now-forgotton Phillip Wylie novel about a
mid-1950's nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR -- anybody
remember the name?

webber@utcs.UUCP (R. D. Webber) (08/07/85)

In article <3093@topaz.ARPA> Boebert.SCOMP@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>
>Incidentally, there was a now-forgotton Phillip Wylie novel about a
>mid-1950's nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR -- anybody
>remember the name?
     One novel by Wylie on the subject was Triumph!, but I suspect you're
referring to the other, civil defense awareness novel by him, called, I
believe, Tomorrow!.
			Bob Webber

arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) (08/07/85)

> From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>
> Somebody asked what about 1985 would surprise somebody from 1955, and
> somebody else responded that it would be that the cold war was still on.
> Well, I just arrived from 1955 (I walked) and the big surprise is that
> it is still cold.  I was in the Ground Observor Corps then (we filled
> the gaps in the Air Defense Command radar net, which was more gaps than
> net) and the question wasn't whether there was going to be a nuclear
> war, it was when.  I for one was utterly astonished to see 1984 roll by.
> Incidentally, there was a now-forgotton Phillip Wylie novel about a
> mid-1950's nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR -- anybody
> remember the name?

The story was TOMORROW! by Philip Wylie, and I for one weish that it had
happened that way; at least, if only kiloton bombs had been used, most of
us would have survived, and thre would be no Soviets/Jihadists/other
crazies to be threatening us today.

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (08/12/85)

In article <272@inuxm.UUCP> arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) writes:
>> From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>>[..]
>> Incidentally, there was a now-forgotton Phillip Wylie novel about a
>> mid-1950's nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR -- anybody
>> remember the name?
>
>The story was TOMORROW! by Philip Wylie, and I for one weish that it had
>happened that way; at least, if only kiloton bombs had been used, most of
>us would have survived, and thre would be no Soviets/Jihadists/other
>crazies to be threatening us today.

	<stunned expression, mouth hanging open in shock> I _do_not_
believe this is happening.....i wonder how many other citizens of
this wonderful land of ours believe this? "..we begin bombing in 10 mins."
	Welcome to the Monkey-House.
		greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet