[net.sf-lovers] Samuel Delany

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/12/85)

In article <> Newman.pasa@Xerox.ARPA writes:

>RE Jim Hofmann's comments on Dahlgren: I will admit that Delaney takes
>on topics that most everyone else shies away from (most everyone - not
>everyone, and the others do it better!) but I don't really want to read
>about these topics, and I particularly don't want to read trashy writing
>on these topics. Similarly, though Delaney "divorces himself from
>standard literary style", there are others who do it better.

Most of the Delany books I've read, though shorter than _Dhalgren_, are
worse written and considerably less interesting.  (I thought Dhalgren
stylistically interesting but intolerably repetitious.)  In fact, I sold
_Nova_, _Triton_, and _Dhalgren_ so long ago that it took this discussion
to remind me the author of _Babel-17_ wrote them.

_Babel-17_ is his one good book, as far as I know.  It may be out of print;
I've never seen a new copy.  It draws extensively on his knowledge of
linguistics (that's his field), has plenty of action, and tells a good love
story about intelligent people.  Nor does it divorce itself from "standard
literary style!"  It even has a plot!

Give it a shot before you give up on him.

Judith Abrahms

"No plan survives the shock of battle." -- Clausewitz