[mod.computers.laser-printers] Submission for mod-computers-laser-printers

krus@diku.UUCP (Lars Povlsen) (10/29/86)

From: krus@diku.UUCP (Lars Povlsen)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Persistent Font (Directory) definition.
Date: 29 Oct 86 11:07:25 GMT

This note adress the ability to define fonts/procs on a ALW(+), in a
fashion to store them in VM across jobs.

Alas: Does anyone know how to define fonts/symbols on the
LaswerWriter(+), so the definitions won't be lost at the end of the job.

It would be nice to be able to define prologs once, and then subsequently
use them in other jobs. Same thing goes for often used, user defined
fonts.

I suspect this has something to do with the save/restore recommendation
mentioned in the Postscript language manual, page 94-95. But how to
undo a save (with a restore <definitions> save) when you don't have the
saveobject restore wants ?

And, while I have the net attention, I have heard a document called
``Inside the LaserWriter'' mentioned, but where does one obtain a copy ?
And are there other recommendable documents beside the Postscript Ref.
[from Adobe] one could use, and thereby not using other peoples time to
make up answers ?

Our Apple supplyer only heard of the Adobe manuals.

Help appreciated!
--

Lars Povlsen,
Institute of Datalogy, University of Copenhagen

tomm@tekig5.tek.CSNET (Tom Milligan) (11/11/86)

From: tomm@tekig5.UUCP (Tom Milligan)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Postscript to ImPRESS converter
Date: 11 Nov 86 18:38:57 GMT

	Some time ago, I requested information about the availability of a
Postscript to ImPRESS converter.  In response to that posting, I received a
few replies; they are summarized as follows:

	Several were from people seeking the same thing.

	One was from a person who said that Textset in Ann Arbor,
		MD had such a converter.  A call to Textset by me
		yielded denials that Textset has such a thing.

	One was from a person at Adobe (makers of Postscript) saying that
		such a converter is impossible to develop essentially because
		Postscript has much greater functionality than ImPRESS, so
		a mapping from Postscript is impossible.  I believe this.

	Those are all of the responses I got.  Thanks to those who bothered
to respond, and sorry I took so long to post this summary.

				Tom Milligan
				IG Engineering Computing Center
				Tektronix, Inc.

				tektronix!tekig5!tomm
--
Tom Milligan

[[Editor's note:  Textset  is in Michigan, not
Maryland.	--Rick]]

krus@diku.UUCP (Lars Povlsen) (11/12/86)

From: krus@diku.UUCP (Lars Povlsen)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Font re-encoding in PS
Date: 12 Nov 86 09:59:12 GMT

Hello Folks!

Being Danish, I have a serious problem with the Adobe standard font
encoding. That is, i miss the /aring symbol (a with a ring above) in
the encodings. (And /Aring.)

I am off course aware of the ability to make my own encoding, as given
by the example in the Adobe cookbook. I have copied this to make the
roman and helvetica fonts work.

BUT.. now we have upgraded to the LW+, and would like to access all
the fonts to write our language. Since there are approximately 34
fonts of interest I was a bit worried about the amount of memory taken
by this operation.

I checked it out with vmstatus and discovered that the memory used
was:
			     Font defined to
			same name	other name

1'st font		3589		3400
following		2316		2372

(This varied a bit from time to time ??)

So, my questions are:

	1)
		Is there any smarter/cheaper ways of getting a few
		extra glyphs into the encoding of a font ?

	2)
		Or, is there any way to show characters from a font not
		in the encoding ?

	3)
		If negative to the first 2 questions, should I be
		concerned about using about 80K for the fonts ?
		(I think I should)

Comments on this one would be appreciated.

PS: Thanks to anyone replying to my previous posting (;o), and thank again
for new answers.
--

harry@uw-atm.UUCP (11/22/86)

From: harry@uw-atm.UUCP (Harry Edmon)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: GKS -> Postscript
Date: 22 Nov 86 01:34:46 GMT

Does anyone know of a program to translate GKS metacode into
Postscript?  Please send replies to the address below.

--
     Harry Edmon                         UUCP:   uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!harry
     (206) 543-0547                      BITNET: 24440@UWACDC

news@gatech.UUCP (The News service) (11/25/86)

Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Versatec raster converter for ln03 or imagen 8/300
Date: 25 Nov 86 16:21:44 GMT
Sender: news@unmvax.unm.edu

Does anyone out there have a versatec raster converter for an
ln03 (not plus) or for an imagen 8/300?  It would be nice if it
ran on 4.3, but I probably could convert something else.
Thanks 1M.
John McDermott
Univ of NM Dept of EECE
505/277-4650
{gatech,ucbvax}!unmvax!mcdermot

clark@beaver.cs.washington.edu@ssc-vax.UUCP (01/09/87)

From: clark@ssc-vax.UUCP (Roger Clark Swann)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers,mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Nee help with Postscript
Date: 8 Jan 87 22:04:01 GMT

*** line eater food ***

I need some help from some of you laser experts in regards to running an
Apple Laser Writer from an Mentor/Apollo system.

We have a network of Mentor workstations (Apollo Hardware) with Mentor's
Postsricpt server driving an Apple Laser Writer. Things work OK when
the output files are generated using Mentor's DOC tool. However,
when trying to print plain old ascii type files to the Laser Writer
things get VERY restricted. There is only one font available and the
page margins appear to be fixed. Modifying the config file does nothing.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but as I understand Postsript, it has
all sorts of bells and whistles. Some of the things we would like to
do is to rotate the print on the page by 90 degrees, print two pages
of text reduced on one page, have a large selection of font styles
and sizes.

The documentation from Mentor regarding Postscript simply mentions
the word 'Postscript' and that's it. As far as I can tell, Mentor has
taken Postscript and added their own interface to make it work in
the IDEA environment. In the process, they have prevented the user
from having any access to Postscript.

So, am I all wet or what?

I would like to here some comments on the above and maybe some hints.

Also, can someone point me to a good description of Postscript and
what it is really capable of doing?

Thanks		Roger Swann 	uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

newbery@seismo.CSS.GOV@vuwcomp.UUCP (01/12/87)

From: newbery@vuwcomp.UUCP (Michael Newbery)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Wanted: International Phonetic Alphbet for Mac/Laserwriter or QMS
Date: 11 Jan 87 23:39:19 GMT

This request is on behalf of our English Language Institute, who are searching
for an International Phonetic Alphabet fount (or founts) for the Macintosh.
A LaserWriter downline loadable fount is most preferable, but just bitmap
founts will do. Failing (or as well as) a Mac version, we will take a QMS
printer version.

It seems like such a thing should exist, but thus far we have been unable
to track one down.

tanh(q) in antic.......................ipation.

--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: {ubc-vision,alberta}!calgary!vuwcomp!newbery
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)

usenet@seismo.CSS.GOV@ukecc.UUCP (01/21/87)

From: kenneth@ukecc.uky.csnet (Kenneth Herron)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: How do you refill a Canon copier cartridge?
Date: 21 Jan 87 06:22:02 GMT

The subject says most of it--I assume someone's doing it with a laser printer
using the canon engine, and they use the same cartridge, only different toner.
Specifically, I need to know (1) where to tap into the toner storage, (2) is
the toner powder or liquid (pretty sure it's powder), (2b) How do you get it
through the hole into the tank, & (3) if anyone knows, what kind of toner to
use--like I said, it's different from what the laser printer uses.
Muchos Thanksos in advance, we use that little sucker *a lot* and those $70
cartridges are eating us alive...
--
~~ Kenneth Herron                Usenet: ...!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!kenneth	~~
~~ 				 CSNET : kenneth@engr.uky.csnet		~~

sjrapaport@watcgl.waterloo.edu.UUCP (02/12/87)

From: sjrapaport@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Rapaport)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Debugging PostScripty
Date: 12 Feb 87 17:59:48 GMT

Andrew Shore posted a downloadble error handler for PostScript
in April 1986.  I've got a copy and I'm sending it to the moderator
for distribution to anyone who's  interested.  I'm also sending
Bernie a copy right now, so he won't have to wait.

From: adobe!shore@su-glacier.arpa (Andrew Shore)
Date: 29 Apr 1986 2120-PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: revised PostScript downloadable error handler

Here is our latest version of the downloadable PostScript error
handler (ehandler.ps).  When sent to any PostScript printer, it
will download itself outside the printer's "server loop"
(assuming the server loop password is correct) and redefine the
action taken on a PostScript error.

This handler prints a sometimes-helpful summary of the error on
the thus-far-completed page and then executes the previous
handleerror code as well (which in most PostScript printers will
echo the error name and offending command over the
communications channel).  This version works on all existing
Adobe PostScript implementations.

It really helps when debugging raw PostScript code and new
PostScript-generating applications.

Enjoy,
--Andy

%!
% lib/ehandler.ps -- Downloaded Error Break-page handler
% Copyright (c) 1984, 1985, 1986 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
% All Rights Reserved.

0000 % serverloop password
/$brkpage where
{pop pop(Error Handler in place - not loaded again\n)print flush stop}
{dup serverdict begin statusdict begin checkpassword
 {(Error Handler downloaded.\n)print flush exitserver}
 {pop(Bad Password on loading error handler!!!\n)print flush stop}ifelse
}ifelse
/$brkpage 64 dict def $brkpage begin
/prnt
 {dup type/stringtype ne{=string cvs}if dup length 6 mul/tx exch def/ty 10 def
  currentpoint/toy exch def/tox exch def 1 setgray newpath
  tox toy 2 sub moveto 0 ty rlineto tx 0 rlineto 0 ty neg rlineto
  closepath fill tox toy moveto 0 setgray show}bind def
/nl{currentpoint exch pop lmargin exch moveto 0 -10 rmoveto}def
/=={/cp 0 def typeprint nl}def
/typeprint{dup type dup currentdict exch known
  {exec}{unknowntype}ifelse}readonly def
/lmargin 72 def/rmargin 72 def
/tprint{dup length cp add rmargin gt{nl/cp 0 def}if
  dup length cp add/cp exch def prnt}readonly def
/cvsprint{=string cvs tprint( )tprint}readonly def
/unknowntype{exch pop cvlit(??)tprint cvsprint}readonly def
/integertype{cvsprint}readonly def
/realtype{cvsprint}readonly def
/booleantype{cvsprint}readonly def
/operatortype{(//)tprint cvsprint}readonly def
/marktype{pop(-mark- )tprint}readonly def
/dicttype{pop(-dictionary- )tprint}readonly def
/nulltype{pop(-null- )tprint}readonly def
/filetype{pop(-filestream- )tprint}readonly def
/savetype{pop(-savelevel- )tprint}readonly def
/fonttype{pop(-fontid- )tprint}readonly def
/nametype{dup xcheck not{(/)tprint}if cvsprint}readonly def
/stringtype
 {dup rcheck{(\()tprint tprint(\))tprint}{pop(-string- )tprint}ifelse
 }readonly def
/arraytype
 {dup rcheck{dup xcheck
  {({)tprint{typeprint}forall(})tprint}
  {([)tprint{typeprint}forall(])tprint}ifelse}{pop(-array- )tprint}ifelse
 }readonly def
/packedarraytype
 {dup rcheck{dup xcheck
  {({)tprint{typeprint}forall(})tprint}
  {([)tprint{typeprint}forall(])tprint}ifelse}{pop(-packedarray- )tprint}ifelse
 }readonly def
/courier/Courier findfont 10 scalefont def
/OLDhandleerror errordict /handleerror get def
end %$brkpage
errordict/handleerror
 {systemdict begin $error begin $brkpage begin newerror
   {/newerror false store
    vmstatus pop pop 0 ne{grestoreall}if initgraphics courier setfont
    lmargin 720 moveto(ERROR: )prnt errorname prnt
    nl(OFFENDING COMMAND: )prnt/command load prnt
    $error/ostack
    known{nl nl(STACK:)prnt nl nl $error/ostack get aload length{==}repeat}if
    systemdict/showpage get exec
    /newerror true store/OLDhandleerror load end end end exec}{end end end}
  ifelse}
dup 0 systemdict put dup 4 $brkpage put bind readonly put

------------------------------

End of Info-Postscript for Laser Lovers Digest

jeff@beaver.cs.washington.edu@ssc-vax.UUCP (02/14/87)

From: jeff@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeffrey Jongeward)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Texas Instruments OmniLaser printers
Date: 14 Feb 87 08:41:19 GMT

In article <8702120345.AA07743@anl-mcs.ARPA>, boyle@ANL-MCS.ARPA (James M. Boyle) writes:
> In my experience, if you are used to a LaserWriter, the reason characters
> look too thin is that the LW is a "write black" engine, where as the "thin"
> printer has a "write white" engine.  Since what is written tends to

I was just looking at the OmniLaser today.  Certain characters in some
TeX fonts come out thin on the OL, but not too bad on the LW.  Also,
Courier resident fonts are not too good on the OL at < 10.0, but ok
on the LW.  The OL has the blackest black I've seen - much blacker
than the LW.  Resident fonts (except Courier) are very sharp and black
on the OL.  The "write white" technology may explain why the lightest
3 shades of gray almost don't exist on the OL, but are sharp on the LW.
But I don't understand why Courier is so bad on the OL??

greenber@seismo.CSS.GOV@thebes.UUCP (02/15/87)

From: greenber@swatsun.UUCP (Peter Greenberg)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: AFM files for LW Plus fonts
Date: 15 Feb 87 05:55:09 GMT

I recently (Feb. 14) posted (on net.sources) a Bourne shell program
that spools a PostScipt program to a PS device (i.e. LaserWriter) that
causes that device to write back an AFM table for one of its fonts
back on the PS device's standard out (i.e. the tty connection to host).
Now we want to know how to get troff to use the spiffy LW Plus AFM
tables that we now have. We have a net of Sun3's running 4.2bsd and the
full TranScript distribution. We know we should probably use pscatmap but
we don't have a clue. Enscript works well with the new AFM tables gotten
off the LW Plus.

We would also like to know if there is software available to translate
vfont tables into PS fonts and whether there are any spiffy user defined
dingbat fonts floating out in the public domain.

Peter Greenberg  {...!seismo!bpa!swatsun!greenber}
Swarthmore Coll.
Swarthmore, PA 19081

gert@seismo.CSS.GOV@uvabick.UUCP (02/18/87)

From: gert@uvabick.UUCP (Gert Hulstein)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Xerox font format
Date: 17 Feb 87 23:22:22 GMT

Does anybody know how Xerox fonts are to be formatted for downloading
to a 4045 printer ? All my manuals tell me is how to send Xerox pre-
formatted fonts. Where can information about Xerox fonts be found ?

Gert Hulstein, Amsterdam University
mcvax!gert@uvabick.uucp

usenet@seismo.CSS.GOV@ukecc.UUCP (02/19/87)

From: wes@ukecc.uky.edu (Wes Morgan)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Music and AppleWriters......<or HP Laserjets>
Date: 19 Feb 87 14:31:30 GMT

Does anyone have a font for Apple LaserWriters or HP Laserjets,
implementing musical notation?  I'd like to crank out some music.

PostScript would work as well.

I'm sort of a rookie at this stuff, so pardon any ignorance displayed
above.

Wes Morgan

--
    Wes Morgan           UUCP:       !cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes
                         CSNET:      wes@engr.uky.csnet

uucp@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu@rutgers.UUCP (02/19/87)

From: lipton@halleys.UUCP (Gary Lipton)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers,mod.vlsi,comp.unix.wizards
Subject: color plotting under ULTRIX
Date: 19 Feb 87 14:21:31 GMT

We are currently trying to modify Cifplot, a VLSI b&w plotting program
from Berkeley, to do color plotting.  Included in the Berkeley package
is Vdump, a data filter for plotting in b&w on a Versatec plotter.  This
is the file designated by the "cf" entry in the /etc/printcap file under
ULTRIX.  This program must be modified to do color plotting.  What I
would like to know is:
  a) Has anybody already done this?
  b) Is there any de facto or de jure standard out there for the format
     of color raster files?  For example, is there header information
     that must precede the plot data, is there a particular order the
     colors should appear in, etc.

Gary Lipton
Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
lipton@m2c.org  (M2C net)
lipton@m2c.org   (CSNET)
harvard!halleys!lipton@harvard.harvard.edu

keithl@vice.tek.com.UUCP (02/20/87)

From: keithl@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Lofstrom)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Are there any high quality PostScript job shops?
Date: 20 Feb 87 18:54:37 GMT

In article <8702131332.AA06704@june.cs.washington.edu>, cosell@PROPHET.BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> We're trying to get a document printed.  What we start with is a PostScript
> source for it on our Vax here and what we'ed like is someplace that we
> could send that source (somehow) and get it printed off on a REALLY
> good postscript printer (2000 dpi would be great...

The monthly magazine "Personal Publishing" has some ads for places -
I don't know if these are any good:

Rapid Transmit  8007 Douglas Ave, Racine WI 53402     800-247-8494
Typeline  170 State St, Teaneck NJ 07666              201-837-9839
Diskgraphics 2820 Taylor St, Dallas TX 75226          214-748-0661

Apparently, these places use Allied Linotron 300 Lasersetters with
2540 dpi, Postscript input, and various other things depending on the
shop, such as modem download or compatability with various systems.
You might give Allied Linotype a call and find out who their
customers in Boston are;  there are Postscript shops in Portland,
so they should be all over.

Let the net know about your results...

--
Keith Lofstrom
MS 59-316, Tektronix, PO 500, Beaverton OR 97077  (503)-627-4052

root%array@math.waterloo.edu.UUCP (02/20/87)

From: rob@Array.UUCP (Rob Marchand)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers,comp.text
Subject: HPLaserJet Postscript Doohickey
Date: 20 Feb 87 19:00:05 GMT

Hi, I'm looking for info on an upgrade which I seem to remember
seeing some time ago.  It involved the replacement of the top end
of an HP LaserJet with a casing providing PostScript and 2 Meg of
on-board memory.  As I recall, this upgrade wasn't *overly*
expensive.  Could someone pass along some info about
	i) Distributor/Manufacturer
       ii) Cost/Performance
      iii) Personel experience/misgivings/recommendations.
We're looking for a reasonably inexpensive way to upgrade our
text processing (from UNIX boxes) output.  Any comments or
recommendations are welcome....
Rob Marchand        {watmath,mnetor,decvax}!utzoo!dciem!array!rob
Array Systems Computing
200-5000 Dufferin St.            "But then again, I've been wrong
Toronto, Ontario, Canada          before...."
(416) 736-0900

news@seismo.CSS.GOV@sun.UUCP (02/21/87)

From: randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Summary: PostScript and Sun Printers
Date: 21 Feb 87 19:55:57 GMT
Sender: news@sun.uucp

Some moons ago, I posted a request for medium-capacity printers which
were Sun-compatable or supported PostScript.  Here's the summary of responses.

Grant Van Dyck (cvbnet!gvandyck) sent the following list.

ENGINE		Vendor		Model		PPM 	Engine life

Ricoh		T.I.		2115		15	1.5 Meg. pages
      		Facit		Opus 3		15	""

Toshiba		DataProducts	1275		15	1.5 Meg. pages
       		""          	2665		26	3 Meg. pages

Fujitsu		Fujitsu		M3722		18	1.5 M Pages

S.page (spage@sun) listed Texas Instruments, Diconix, Wang, Apollo,
QMS, DataProducts, Linotype, and DEC.

Geof (imagen!apolling!geof) suggested Imagen, which sells a line of
printers which use Impress, their own printer control language.  The
line includes a high-speed printer which can print two-sided 11x17
signatures.

Glenn Reid (greid@adobe.uucp) suggested I call Adobe customer support
(415-852-0271) and ask to be sent a list of all PostScript printers
currently available.  S.page also suggested calling Adobe.

Rich Burridge (richb%yarra.oz@seismo.css.gov, seismo!munnari!yarra.oz!richb)
sent the following list of Dataproducts printer features

 - Full resolution text/graphics on a single page.
 - Full bit-map memory - no page too complex to print.
 - High speed - upto 26 pages per minute.
 - High print quality - partial pixel shadowing.
 - High print resolution - 300 dots per inch.
 - Domestic and European cutsheet paper sizes up to 11" x 17"
 - Straight through paper path for reliable performance.
 - 2660 supports images upto legal size.
 - 2665 supports images upto ledger size /A3.

Bill Shannon (bshannon@sun) and some unknown person at rd@lri.uucp also
suggested Dataproducts.

Randolph Fritz
sun!rfritz
rfritz@sun.com

wdw%aucs%dalcs@math.waterloo.edu.UUCP (02/23/87)

From: wdw@aucs.UUCP (Bill Wilder)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: C.ITOH CIE 3000
Date: 23 Feb 87 16:41:58 GMT

We are considering the purchase of a C.ITOH CI 3000 Ion Deposition
Printer at our site and I would be grateful for any comments (pro or con)
someone has to make about this printer or Ion Deposition in general.
I'd be happy to post a summary of comments received.

Thanks very much.
--
UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!wdw
BITNET:    {wdwvax|wdw}@Acadia

mlwh@seismo.CSS.GOV@sun.UUCP (03/04/87)

From: mlwh@sun.uucp (Martin Hall)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Wanted:  Apollo Troff drivers for the HP LJ+
Date: 4 Mar 87 18:46:41 GMT

I hope this is the correct place for this:

A friend of mine who does not have access to the net needs to know where
he could find troff drivers that will output to an HP LaserJet Plus.
The system he is currently running on is an Apollo.

He called up ELAN but they are not ready to ship.....and while price is
not a major consideration he would rather not have to pay the $1795 they
are asking........

patwood@unirot.UUCP.UUCP (03/06/87)

From: patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: does anyone know how to get a hold
Date: 6 Mar 87 04:16:12 GMT

The last mailing I received from Casady Company was last summer.  Their
address then was Box 223779, Carmel, CA  93922.  Tel # 408-646-4660.

Other sources of nice PostScript fonts:
Century software: 2483 Hearst Ave #175, Berkeley, CA  94709.
Tel # 415-549-1901.

Altsys Corp: P.O. Box 865410, Plano, TX  75086.  Tel # 214-424-4888.

Adobe, of course.

Jim Kingston: 31 East 31st #10A, New York City 10016.  Tel # 212-685-2520.

Horton & Sutcliffe: 2216 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA  93109.
Tel # 805-966-7563.  They do custom fonts for reasonable ($1-2K) prices.
We've had them do some fonts and they look great.

Allotype typographics: 1600 Packard Rd. #5, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Tel # 313-663-1989.  Mainly specialized fonts (symbols and such).

NeoScribe International: PO Box 6533, Hamden, CT 06517.  Tel # 203-782-2200.
Hebrew and other international character sets.

SourceNet: P.O. Box 6767, Santa Barbara, CA 93160.  Tel # 805-964-6066.
They are compiling a "font buyer's guide" with samples of many public
domain and commercially available fonts (not just PostScript, either).

Pat Wood
Editor, The PostScript Language Journal
{ihnp4,harpo,seismo}!bellcore!phw5!phw

patwood@unirot.UUCP.UUCP (03/06/87)

From: patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: LaserJet ditroff driver
Date: 6 Mar 87 04:19:01 GMT

Try Textware International 617-uni-text.  They've been marketing a LJ
driver for two years now.

Pat Wood

patwood@unirot.UUCP.UUCP (03/06/87)

From: patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: PostScript type shops
Date: 6 Mar 87 04:31:46 GMT

Our company has used Typeline extensively, and we've had great results
from them.  They do not have a Linotronic 300; they have a Linotronic 100,
which is basically the same device, except its maximum resolution is
1270 DPI whereas the L300's max is 2540 DPI.

Other companies that provide PS typesetting:

Krishna copy centers (Berkeley, CA): 415-540-5959.

Typesetting Service Corp (Providence, RI):  401-421-2264.

Spectrum Arts, Ltd. (Baldimore): 301-462-6900.

MacTypeNet (Livonia, MI): 313-477-2733.

High Tech Type (Tulsa, OK): 918-587-5023.  Ask for Eli Maghe, tell him I
sent you.

All of these shops except for Spectrum Arts have L300's.  Prices can vary
widely (from $6 per page to $16pp), so shop around.

We're going to be publishing a fairly exhaustive list of these places
in an upcoming issue of the PostScript Language Journal.  I'll post the
list here when it's finished.

Pat Wood
Editor, The PostScript Language Journal

P.S.  For those of you that have subscribed and are waiting for your first
issue:  please be patient.  We're just starting this puppy, and we want to
do it right.  The first issue is being set right now (yes, we are using
cut and paste is a few places:  advertisers seem to think that halftone
pictures should be stripped in), so we'll be mailing in the next three
weeks (it'll still be going out in the first quarter, just not January).

We're going to try and close up the loop about two weeks/issue for the
next three, which will get us on schedule by the first issue of '88
(mid January).  Bear with us...you should be pleased with what you get.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) (03/06/87)

From: rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Date: 6 Mar 87 20:51:44 GMT

dberry@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Dan Berry) writes:
>of CASADY WARE? They are supposed to be in Carmel CA, but directory
>assistance never heard of them. They offer PostScript fonts such as Cyrillic

Their stuff can be bought thru various mail order houses, like MacConnection,
Also, they have an ad in the current MacWorld (April, 1987, p 60).
	CasadyWare
	PO Box 223779
	Carmel CA 93922

I suspect they don't have a phone because they are probably Mr. and Ms.
Casady and their home computer -- their business doesn't really require
anything more than that, and fonts are not exactly the most lucrative
thing to sell.

Disclaimer:  I am not connected with any of these companies other than
as a customer.
--
{don't ask me about leon -- I have no control over paying users }
Rick Keir -- one floor up from the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison

richa@tekred.tek.com.UUCP (03/09/87)

From: richa@tekred.TEK.COM (Rich Amber )
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: war stories wanted
Date: 9 Mar 87 17:34:05 GMT

In article <8703060212.9271@ur-seneca.arpa>, ken@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (SKY) writes:
> I'm appealing to the collective intelligence of this mailing list to
> help provide us with information to decide on a laser printer.
>
> What is your average yield from a Canon LBP-CX (Laserwriter)
> cartridge?  3000-4000 is suggested as good, but someone quoted 8000.

We have been using an Apple Laserwriter, connected to Macs and a Vax
(Unix) for just over a year.  While the specs are that it should run
about 3000 copies per month, we have been running 8-9000 per month and
have had only one repair necessary in that time.

The toner cartridges are spec'd at 3000 copies per cartridge (they seem
to like that number), and indeed, the indicator shows red at about 3000-
3500 copies.  We remove the cartridge, give it a good shake and put it
back in.  We are getting 5-5500 copies per cartridge without noticable
print quality degradation.

davew@gvgpsa.UUCP.UUCP (03/11/87)

From: davew@gvgpsa.UUCP (David C. White)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Date: 10 Mar 87 23:53:55 GMT

In article <8703060212.9271@ur-seneca.arpa> ken@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (SKY) writes:
>I'm appealing to the collective intelligence of this mailing list to
>help provide us with information to decide on a laser printer.
>
>We have pretty much decided on a Postscript printer. These are the some
>of the contenders:
>
>	Apple Laserwriter
>	QMS PS800
>	Dataproducts 2660
>

>Do you have any suggestions for other printers?  If you like a printer
>do tell me why but if you have war stories, I will be all ears.

I also am in the process of trying to select a laser printer to be used
on a MVAX, mainly to spool off files coming from a bunch of AT clones
on an ethernet network.  I have ruled out the Apple Laserwriter because
of its low paper capacity and it is very slooooowww at doing graphics
(maybe they all are).  How about the TI 2108 and 2115?  The specs on
them look good but I have been getting some bad reports about them, and
the last I heard from a TI distributor was that the 2115 had an
engineering hold on it because of poor print quality.  Any
recommendations and horror stories would be appreciated.
Dave White		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114		Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP: ...{tektronix | ucbvax!ucdavis}!gvgpsa!davew
PHONE: +1 916 478 3052

ddb@viper.UUCP.UUCP (03/11/87)

From: ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: PD fonts or font tools for QMS Kiss?
Date: 11 Mar 87 16:49:12 GMT

Does anybody know of the existence of any public domain fonts, or font
creation tools (like a font editor) for the QMS Kiss laser printer?
I'm particularly interested in tools that run on MS-DOS, but I'm having
little enough luck that I'd like to hear about anything.

Failing pd, does anybody know anything about the fonts supposedly
commercially available from QMS for download into the Kiss?  I know I can
find out prices and such from QMS or dealers -- but has anybody else used
them?  Are the assortments reasonable?  Etc.

--
David Dyer-Bennet
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!ddb

root@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

From: mitch@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: HELP! (laserwriter/legal-size paper)
Date: 12 Mar 87 19:08:44 GMT
Sender: root@ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU

I've been struggling with this problem off and on for several months.
We are using the Transcript package (sans Ditroff) on a Vax 750/4.2 BSD
with an Apple LaserWriter.  Several of our users have a need to print
documents on legal-size paper, and we have a legal-size tray
for the laserwriter.

The problem is, I cannot discover the proper combination of
ptroff/troff/pscat/lpr options to make the laserwriter print
properly on 14-inch paper.  The documents are formatted
correctly for long paper, but the laserwriter barfs.

Has anybody out there had any better luck?

starkweather.pa@XEROX.COM.UUCP (03/13/87)

I believe you are looking for the PS Jet by The Laser Connection. I do
not have their address but there have been several ads in PC Week, PC
World etc. where you might look. The cost was $2995. I have two
LaserJets and am going to upgrade at least one of them.

Gary Starkweather - Xerox PARC

gerard@tscs.UUCP (03/16/87)

From: gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Submission for mod-computers-laser-printers
Date: 15 Mar 87 23:09:42 GMT

In article <8703102353.AA14571@gvgpsa.UUCP> davew@gvgpsa.UUCP ("David C. White") writes:
>I also am in the process of trying to select a laser printer to be used
>on a MVAX, mainly to spool off files coming from a bunch of AT clones
>on an ethernet network.  I have ruled out the Apple Laserwriter because
>of its low paper capacity and it is very slooooowww at doing graphics
>(maybe they all are).  How about the TI 2108 and 2115?  The specs on
>them look good but I have been getting some bad reports about them, and
>the last I heard from a TI distributor was that the 2115 had an
>engineering hold on it because of poor print quality.  Any
>recommendations and horror stories would be appreciated.

We have a Texas Instruments OmniLaser 2115, it works fine except for the
following SMALL problems:

Software switches for the following functions do not work.
1 - Changing input bins (250 pages each)
2 - Output jogger selection
3 - Switching software emulation modes (PostScript Batch,
    PostScript Interactive, HP7475 Plotter, Diablo 630,
    TI 850 printer).
4 - Control panel behaves strangely, but does work.
5 - Manual leaves a great deal to be desired, it is photocopied and stapled
    together, not what you would expect with a 8K printer.  The manual gives
    no insite on how to use PostScript, it says to get the "PostScript
    Language Reference Manual" and the "PostScript Language Cookbook and
    Tutorial".  These books are fair books for the beginner, but were
    written for version 23, and the TI used version 45.  I have no idea
    what has changed during those 22 revision levels, I would assume more
    than just the number.

On the plus side:

1 - The print quality looks good to me, although it seems to be a little
    thirsty for toner.
2 - 15ppm is good for mutiple copies or character printer emulations, but
    there is no way to get 15ppm when using PostScript.
3 - The blacks are good and black, much better than the Canon engine.
4 - Supports Centronics, RS-232, RS-422, and AppleTalk interfaces.
    The serial interfaces support many baud rates up to 57600.
5 - Lots of memory, 2Mb memory for the 2108 and 3Mb for the 2115.
6 - The pages come out face down, so collation is not needed.

I have been complaining to our distributor about the problems, they have
not had much word back from TI, hopefully new ROMS will be out shortly.

Overall I would rate the printer very highly, all of the problems should
be fixed shortly if TI gets on the ball.  I have previously looked at
Apple LaserWriters and Imagen Innovator, and choose to buy the TI.

If anyone has found any solutions to the above problems, please let me know.

dgh@dukempd.UUCP.UUCP (03/23/87)

From: dgh@dukempd.UUCP (Doug Heatherly)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: MicroVMS and HP laserjet+
Date: 23 Mar 87 04:12:49 GMT

Our laboratory recently purchased a Microvax II and MicroVMS.
We also purchased a HP Laserjet 500 for use with our IBM PCs.
We would like to use the laserjet with the microvax probably
through a DHV11 port and are interested in any problems we
might have doing this.  We will probably use Saturn-WP and
Saturn-Graph, both of which I am told have HP laserjet
support.

                                  Thanks in advance

                                  Doug
--
	Doug Heatherly				1-919-684-3032
	Box 3870  DUMC                          dgh@dukempd.uucp

henders@watdcsu.waterloo.EDU.UUCP (03/23/87)

From: henders@watdcsu.UUCP (Paul Henderson [dcs])
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Botchyness on Imagen (or other Cannon) printers
Date: 23 Mar 87 19:08:59 GMT

In article <8703170752.AA06997@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, tgd@oregon-state.CSNET (Tom Dietterich) writes:

> We have an Imagen 8/300 and frequently we have a region about the
> size of a nickel in the lower right-hand corner of the page (approximately
> 1.5inches from the bottom and from the right hand page edge) in which
> the print is washed out, faint, or missing.  . . .

We had a similar problem on our Imagen 24/300, and found that it was due to the
paper picking up moisture and "warping" so that it was not in continuous
contact with the drum.  This was a problem when the machine was new and usage
was low.   Our usage is now high enough that paper never "ages" in the input
tray, and our operators never unpackage paper until it needs to be loaded into
the printer.

david@ci-dandelion.UUCP.UUCP (03/24/87)

From: david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (David Watson)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: Ultrix troff bug: complain now or hold your peace...
Date: 23 Mar 87 21:11:30 GMT

The problems with the Ultrix troff "man" macros supplied with Ultrix 1.1
were minor.  I had no trouble patching the macros to print beautifully
on our LaserWriter using Adobe TranScript; almost all of the modifications
I made were due to the 8-1/2" x 11" page size.  However, the supplied
macros seem to have changed considerably for Ultrix 1.2.

If you are having trouble with the 1.2 macros, perhaps the 1.1 macros
will work for you if you can get them.  If you can't get them, I suppose
you will now be more frustrated than ever!

			-D.

usenet@JADE.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/24/87)

From: defron@violet.berkeley.edu (Daniel Efron)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: multiple fonts & transcript
Date: 23 Mar 87 23:28:14 GMT
Sender: usenet@jade.BERKELEY.EDU

     I'd like to mix font families using troff and Adobe's pscat for my
Apple LaserWriter.  For instance I'd like to be able to say:

This is \fHHelvetica\fR.  This is \f(HIHelvetica Italic\fR.

The 'This is' would be in Times-Roman and the other parts would be in the
Helvetica font families.  The problem is that both troff and pscat require
you to supply font descriptions and it appears I can only supply the
description for one family at a time.  Any help would be appreciated.

     Dan Efron
     defron@violet

patwood@edu.UUCP (03/25/87)

From: patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.laser-printers
Subject: Re: PostScript Printers
Date: 25 Mar 87 03:02:23 GMT

The TI OMNI lasers run the newest version of PostScript (version 45.0),
which supports the HP LaserJet's control codes (or was that HPGL...can't
keep all these protocols straight; I tend to think of them as PostScript
and "the rest").  Upgrades for Apples and others will probably be coming
about soon.

Pat Wood
Editor, The PostScript Language Journal
bellcore!phw5!phw