[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #297

EVAN@SU-CSLI.ARPA (08/04/85)

From: Evan Kirshenbaum <evan@SU-CSLI.ARPA>

Rite_of_Passage isn't strictly about a generation ship as they are
not going anywhere, just flitting about between planets.

Since I haven't seen a plug for it here in a while:  For any one who has
not yet read it, it is the finest science fiction work aimed at teenagers
ever written (well, it's in the top 5 at least).  I first read it in about
sixth grade (I think), and I still reread it a couple of times a year (it
doesn't take as long now).  I've never heard of anyone (any age) who read
it and didn't like it (A genuine No-Prize (remember them?) to the first person
to correctly predict how many people are going to flood this board with
postings rating RoP somewhere under Slavegirl_of_Gor).

So if you haven't read it, do yourself a favor (it was just rereleased in
paperback so you have no excuse).

Evan Kirshenbaum
ARPA: evan@SU-CSLI
UUCP: {decwrl,sun,I-don't-know,I-don't-use-uucp}!glacier!evan
-------

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (08/05/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

>Does anyone know what Elrond the boss elf's last name was, or what
>he did in his spare time?  I had this nightmare where it was Hubbard
>and he was creating a legion of elves to stand on street corners
>recuiting people and I'm afraid to leave my terminal...

Let us not speak of such things!

But I was wondering who Sauron's successor Dark Lord would be, after the
chief  Nazgul got scragged.  Now I know.
-------

Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (08/07/85)

From: Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

>From:  steve stuart@webstr.DEC
>In reference to M. Moorcock's stuff:
>I especially liked the way
>that while any individual series dealt with one particular
>incarnation, fate would, at times throw a few of the incarnations
>from other series into the picture.

>I'd like very much to read more sf with this feature (bug? :-)) ...
>can anyone think of what other authors do this, and do it well?

Anybody who likes Moorcock, the Theives World stuff, Old Humphrey Bogart
movies, O. Henry stories, or anything else in the world, should check
out a comic book called GRIMJACK.  It is, in my humble opinion, the best
book on the market at the moment.   Grimjack is a mercenary, detective,
bodyguard, assasin, thief, fighter, thug, bar owner (and all around nice
guy) who lives in The Pit in the city of Cynosure.  Cynosure is
approximately equal to Tanelorn-- the point at which all the multiverses
come together, and The Pit is roughly equivalent to Downwind in
Sanctuary-- which is roughly equivalent to Central Park after dark, or
the college registrar's office anytime (i.e. not a place to cultivate
marigolds.)  The combination is a powerful setting where ANYTHING can
happen.  Giant sentient slugs attack with Uzzis (spelling is optional.
I mean the Isaeli machine guns) and the locals really enjoy heavy metal
(bands, that is.)

The writing of this series is what makes it worthwhile.  Believe it or
not, things are constrained and operate under logical rules.  The
stories have been simply superb (though there has been a recent shift in
authors, and I watching to see if the standard is maintained.)  The
artwork is generally some of the best out there and it each month's
issue redefines the phrase "attention to detail."  Be sure to read all
the grafitti wherever it appears; billboards can be a lot of fun; an
things like pinball machines in swords & sorcery taverns just make my
day.

Its from First comics and should be available in any good comics store.
Issue 15 (I think) is the latest one I've read and it's  a great
starting point-- it concerns Grimjack's assignment to guard a shipment
being delivered by a sentient truck which speaks only in 20th century
rock lyrics.  It's called "This Wheel's on Fire."  Read it.

--Chris

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/12/85)

> Anybody who likes Moorcock, the Theives World stuff, Old Humphrey Bogart
> movies, O. Henry stories, or anything else in the world, should check
> out a comic book called GRIMJACK.  It is, in my humble opinion, the best
> book on the market at the moment.   Grimjack is a mercenary, detective,

Now that American Flagg is dying, I'd have to agree with you.

> bodyguard, assasin, thief, fighter, thug, bar owner (and all around nice
> guy) who lives in The Pit in the city of Cynosure.  Cynosure is
> approximately equal to Tanelorn-- the point at which all the multiverses
> come together, and The Pit is roughly equivalent to Downwind in

Except that where Tanelorn is a place to go to, Cynosure is a place to
escape from.

I picked it up originally for the Munden's Bar stories at the end. For
you Bar Story fans, these are a must-read.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter