[net.sf-lovers] advanced races

Boebert.SCOMP@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (08/04/85)

From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

The term "advanced" implies that evolution is a ladder, when it can be
cogently argued (i.e., by Stephen Jay Gould) that it is a tree.  You are
not more *advanced* than a duck-billed platypus, you are just
*different*.  Aliens will be looking for something that is attractive to
them, based on their frame of reference; there is no assurance whatever
that their motivations will make any sense to us.

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (08/09/85)

In article <3094@topaz.ARPA> Boebert.SCOMP@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>Aliens will be looking for something that is attractive to
>them, based on their frame of reference; there is no assurance whatever
>that their motivations will make any sense to us.
We Aldebaranians value Coke as the essence of immortality.  Say,
this Coke tastes different...
Oh, alright - :-)

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

In article <3094@topaz.ARPA> Boebert.SCOMP@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>
>  Aliens will be looking for something that is attractive to
>them, based on their frame of reference; there is no assurance whatever
>that their motivations will make any sense to us.

Our primary motivation is our desire to survive -- ourselves and our
families, primarily; larger groupings to a lesser extent.  Love, hate,
fear, and most other emotions are explainable thereby.  This desire
is an inevitable consequence of evolutionary development.  (Flames to
net.origins, please.)  Thus there is every reason to expect aliens to
share it.

Less obvious are things like religion.  There are survival-related
reasons for the development of religion, but it is not clear how much
they relate to details of our development.  Aliens might have some
such institution which would lead them to behavior patterns which
seemed very bizarre to us.

But survival is a quite sufficient reason to colonize other stellar
systems, so it is the most likely one.