[mod.computers.apollo] v2 remote file access for 4.2/4.3 systems

swanson@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Mark Swanson) (05/11/86)

Our locally improved (hacked?) version of v2 is available for anonymous ftp
from utah-cs as pub/tarv2.Z and pub/tarv2d.Z (yes, both have been compressed).
The former is the apollo-side code; the latter, the 4.2/4.3BSD end code.  If
you have any problems installing/using it, contact me.  My phone number is
(801) 581-6678 or mail to swanson@utah-cs.

JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA (John W Peterson) (05/13/86)

> From: swanson@utah-cs.arpa (Mark Swanson)
> To: apollo@yale.arpa
> Subject: v2 remote file access for 4.2/4.3 systems

> Our locally improved (hacked?) version of v2 is available for anonymous ftp
> from utah-cs as pub/tarv2.Z and pub/tarv2d.Z (both have been compressed).

For those of you who aren't aware of what V2 is, it's a distributed filesystem
allowing you to access files on remote 4.2/4.3bsd machines as though they
are part of the Apollo filesystem.  It's built on top of Apollo's
extensible streams package.  Note you need to be running at least SR9.2
Aegis and TCP/IP to be able to use V2.  [The original V2 is supplied in the
directory /domain_examples/streams/v2; Mark's enhancments include username
authentication and speed improvments]
-------

long%UUCP@srdring.UUCP.UUCP (05/20/86)

	I am very interested in obtaining this software
	but our site (ittatc) is not on the Arpanet.
	Can I obtain it via tape or uucp from someone?

			H. Morrow Long
			Member Research Staff - Knowledge Based Systems
			ITT-ATC Advanced Technology Group
			1 Research Drive Shelton, CT  06484
			Phone #: (203)-929-7341 x. 634

path = {allegra bunker dcdvaxb dcdwest ucbvax!decvax milford mit-eddie
	psuvax1 qumix sii supai tmmnet yale}!ittatc!long

Giebelhaus@HI-MULTICS.ARPA.UUCP (05/23/86)

What did you use to compact the tarv2.Z?  The unix compactor I have (on
an Apollo) says that compaction files are to end in .C.
I tried renaming the file so it ended in .C, but it still did not work.

JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA.UUCP (05/27/86)

We used the "compress" utility.  It's a public domain program and (I think)
it comes standard with 4.3bsd.
-------