[net.sf-lovers] Why would 'they' visit us?

SANDER@DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA (08/01/85)

From: Warren Sander <SANDER@DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA>

Seeing as we are out on one of the arms near the edge of a 'small' galaxy
we probably haven't been visited because we haven't been found. Its like
why don't people go to small towns way off the beaten track. Because the
roads either are non-existant or in need of repair. If there is a method
to FTL travel and it requires a receiver at the other end to arrive at.
It could be an airport or a port or some sort of machine, maybe even
some amount of mass to lock onto or a beacon of some sort. Maybe when
we get out there we will find out that there is a huge interstellar
civilization but the 'road to SOL' is a bumpy one (maybe a Bob Hope XX
Bing Crosby XX movie in 2300) and they aren't coming here till we get
it fixed. When the first slow boat travels get out there and come back
with the beacon maybe then we will get more travelers coming here.

So it is no wonder that noone comes here after all when was the last
time you went to some little town out in the boonies just because it
was there? They may have good things there but it isn't worth the
hassle to go. Maybe we would get some hearty pioneers coming here to
settle but with the population on this planet they would look at us a
not even want to stop.

		Warren (SANDER @ DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA)

   --------

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (08/02/85)

[]
> Seeing as we are out on one of the arms near the edge of a 'small' galaxy
> we probably haven't been visited because we haven't been found. Its like
> why don't people go to small towns way off the beaten track. Because the
> roads either are non-existant or in need of repair. If there is a method
> to FTL travel and it requires a receiver at the other end to arrive at.
> It could be an airport or a port or some sort of machine, maybe even
> some amount of mass to lock onto or a beacon of some sort. Maybe when
> we get out there we will find out that there is a huge interstellar
> civilization but the 'road to SOL' is a bumpy one (maybe a Bob Hope XX
> Bing Crosby XX movie in 2300) and they aren't coming here till we get
> it fixed. When the first slow boat travels get out there and come back
> with the beacon maybe then we will get more travelers coming here.

On the other hand, if there is no way to go FTL (which seems at present
more likely) then this argument doesn't make much sense to me.  If all
you can do is visit the nearest few stars then that's what you'll do.
This will tend to spread a spacefaring race everywhere.  If you live
in Hoboken and can only walk then some people will walk to Bayonne.
--

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

taw@s1-c.ARPA (08/06/85)

From: Tom Wadlow <taw@mordor>

> Seeing as we are out on one of the arms near the edge of a 'small'
> galaxy we probably haven't been visited because we haven't been
> found.  It's like why don't people go to small towns way off the
> beaten track.
>			Warren (SANDER @ DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA)

If this is true, it's probably just as well.  As anybody that lives
near San Francisco can tell you, the tourist industry is murder on a
nice town.......

Tom Wadlow (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
        MILNET: <taw at MORDOR> <taw at S1-C>
        UUCP:   ..!ucbvax!dual!mordor!taw  ..!decvax!decwrl!mordor!taw

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (08/13/85)

>From: Boebert@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>Aliens will be looking for something that is attractive to
>them, based on their frame of reference; there is no assurance whatever
>that their motivations will make any sense to us.

We Aldebaranians come to Earth because for us, Coke is the elixir
of immortality.  Say, this Coke tastes different...
Oh, alright-  :-)

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard