[mod.computers.vax] INFO-VAX-SECURITY distribution

page@ULOWELL.CSNET (Bob Page) (11/13/85)

Ron Tencati writes:
> But how do you verify that all subscribers to the list are system managers?
> I don't think there is a good way to screen the subscribers without putting

Since INFO-VAX is essentially INFO-VMS, we can assume that the system
managers have access to account SYSTEM.  Most of us probably have SYSTEM
mail forwarded to our account anyway, so INFO-VAX-SECURITY (I think it would
be a great idea, by the way) should *ONLY* be mailed to SYSTEM on any host.
Those without access to the SYSTEM account probably shouldn't have access
to INFO-VAX-SECURITY anyway.

Multiple forwarding, if you need it, can be accomplished with a distribution
list ala SET FORWARD @SYS$MANAGER:I_V_SECURITY.DIS or some such. (BTW,
kudos to Todd Aven for pointing out SYS$EXAMPLES:MAILUAF.COM, now VMS mail
moves up to an alias table! :-) )

Non-VMS sites can likewise use the alias table to reroot incoming mail for
user SYSTEM to anywhere that's convienient.

News postings ala USENET can be read by anyone, so we'll have to keep it from
the newsgroup list, and stick with direct mail.

> It's an interesting dilemma...

Not any more ... ;-)

Bob Page

--------
UUCP:  ...!decvax!wang!ulowell!page     USPS:  Computer Science Dept
ARPA:  page%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay          University of Lowell
CSNET: page@ulowell                            Lowell MA 01854 USA
BIX:   page                             PHONE: 617/452-5000x2233