[mod.computers.vax] INFO-VAX-SECURITY solution

info-vax@ucbvax.UUCP (11/14/85)

Bob Page writes:

>Since INFO-VAX is essentially INFO-VMS, we can assume that the system
>managers have access to account SYSTEM.  Most of us probably have SYSTEM
>mail forwarded to our account anyway, so INFO-VAX-SECURITY (I think it would
>be a great idea, by the way) should *ONLY* be mailed to SYSTEM on any host.
>Those without access to the SYSTEM account probably shouldn't have access
>to INFO-VAX-SECURITY anyway.

Excellent idea!  The only change I'd suggest is do NOT use the account
name "SYSTEM"  --- I'm sure many sites have already forwarded mail to
SYSTEM for other reasons, not necessarily coincident with the reasons
presented here (We use SYSTEM as a mailbox for user pleas for help...)

Use something like INFO-VAX-SECURITY, or something equally unlikely
to conflict with an existing name.  Individual sites would set user
forwarding address as  they see fit
(use:  MAIL> SET FORW/USER=INFO-VAX-SECURITY "_SYSTEM,CHIEFGURU,HACKER1"
Note the leading '_' to prevent re-forwarding to any mail address called
'SYSTEM')

We get our INFO-VAX mail this way, incidentally --- very useful mechanism

My vote is "let's do it!"

Gordon Howell                                  (Misty Dragon E.)
engvax!gordon@CIT-VAX.ARPA