[mod.computers.vax] Does DEC even care about security issues

Magill@UPENN.CSNET (MSCF Operations Manager) (11/17/85)

One aspect of the security issue overlooked in the
discussion is DEC's concern about security.
They don't really care about security - They will give
ANYBODY with the $$ the COMPLETE documentation to the
security system.
Andy is concerned with corporate vanity not Security.
If you are really serious about security one implements
a program such as Sperry's. An OS/1100 site nominates
a Security Office to Sperry in writing. That individual
is contacted by Sperry and required to sign a "security
pledge" (my term). Then they are given one copy of the
Security documentation which is printed on special anti
"xerox" paper etc.
This person now has a legally enforceable responsibility
and obligation to safeguard security information both
for his company and for Sperry.
He has had these responsibilities explained to him and
has affirmed that he understands and will abidie by them.
Sperry is serious about security and has many government
sites who are also serious about security.
Clearly DEC is not.
Any operating system which does NOT PERMIT its backup
system to enforce standard labels can't even joke about
security - they simply don't give a damm.
Any system which permits ANY user to arbitrarily overrule
standard ANSI tape labels cannot even jokeingly talk
about secureity. I can not even protect my backup tapes
from users except by physically locking them up.
By the way, don't get me wrong, I like VMS. It's the
best operating system on the market since Sperry capped
the old RCA TSOS (later VMOS, later VS/9) operating
system.... Funny VMS appeared about the same time as
VS/9 was capped... there seem to be an awfully lot of
people at DEC from Woster Polley and a surprisingly
large number of VMS developers who seem to know all about
IDA.
Now if I could just find someone to explain WHY VMS has
such a wierd paging/swapping algorthym.... Did it ever
get published? What's wrong with demand paging? Demand

Enough is enough already....
Bill Magill
Operations Manager
Moore School Computing Facility
University of Pennsylvania

Magill@upenn-lrsm.csnet-relay

info-vax@ucbvax.UUCP (11/21/85)

> From: Magill@UPENN.CSNET (MSCF Operations Manager)
> Date: 17 Nov 85 02:57:00 GMT
> One aspect of the security issue overlooked in the
> discussion is DEC's concern about security.
> They don't really care about security - They will give
> ANYBODY with the $$ the COMPLETE documentation to the
> security system.

If there aren't any holes in it, giving people the manual will gain
them nothing. If there are holes, hiding the manual won't help for
long. DEC's security features are the fairly standard ones.

> Any operating system which does NOT PERMIT its backup
> system to enforce standard labels can't even joke about
> security - they simply don't give a damm.

Anyone who believes any scheme of labeling will protect tape
security is a fool. I'll just take your Sperry tapes and read
them on my Unix system, laughing at your tape labels saying I
don't have permission. The Unix 'ansitar' program is too dumb
to understand the protection labels. Fix it, you say? How? The
source is public domain, as is the ANSI standard.

> Any system which permits ANY user to arbitrarily overrule
> standard ANSI tape labels cannot even jokeingly talk
> about secureity. I can not even protect my backup tapes
> from users except by physically locking them up.

You mean you let anyone who wants to mount a tape on your tape drives?

As long as one such system exists in the world, no ANSI
tape is secure. All the tape labels can do is protect against
accidental destruction of good data. Of course you can't protect
your backup tapes from users without locking them up! Anyway, what
if your facility burns down? You should have at least some backups
in a fireproof safe (though this won't guarantee that they will survive).

Too many people on this list think the best solution to security problems
is to ignore them and be quiet about them and hope that the word doesn't
get out. That is wrong; it never worked and it's even less likely to
in the future.

--
Joe Buck				|  Entropic Processing, Inc.
UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck  |  10011 N. Foothill Blvd.