[net.sf-lovers] Spielberg

LECIN%RU-GREEN@sri-unix.UUCP (06/25/83)

From:  Mijjil (Matthew J Lecin) <LECIN@RU-GREEN>

Aw, c'mon NOW!

Doesn't anyone remember the made-for-TV movie DUEL?  (Which starred
bardford Dillman)

How about an episode of the old "Name of the Game" series called "LA
2017"?  (This starred Gene Barry)

Both of these pieces of EXCELLENT television drama were directed by a
very young SPIELBERG.

{Mijjil}

(Hey Lauren, tell everybody who did all the music for "Lost in
Space"!)

sheppard@parsec.UUCP (07/05/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-253600:parsec:42100001:000:277
parsec!sheppard    Jun 28 09:23:00 1983

Yup, "Duel" was done by Spielberg, but it starred Dennis Weaver (of
"Gunsmoke" and "McCloud" fame), not Bradford Dillman.

The very first show that he produced was an episode of the original
"Night Gallery" movie, which starred Barry Sullivan and Joan Crawford.

Andy Sheppard

jamesm@tektronix.UUCP (07/08/83)

I read the short story that the show was based on in "Playboy",
circa 1967-1969.  I can't remember the author (was it Matheson?).
I was a sophomore or Junior in HS at the time.

I particularly remember visions of a hairy arm hanging out of the
window of the truck.  It was suspenseful.

Jim Murphy
...tektronix!jamesm or
...tekcrd!jamesm

reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (08/14/85)

From: Peter Reiher <reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>

>1) All that Steven Spielberg touches turns to gold.  In evidence
>against this, I would like to mention "~The Sugarland Express"
>(something like that), which was one of SS's earlier films and went
>over like a lead balloon.  ...
>An interesting thing: after this flopped, it took SS a long
>time to get anyone to even think about hiring him.

"The Sugarland Express" (1974) was a major critical success and made a
modest amount of money.  (It also cost a modest amount of money.)  In
1974-1975, Spielberg made "Jaws", his first big hit. "Jaws" was a difficult,
big budget production one wouldn't assign to a questionable director.
Obviously, "The Sugarland Express" did Spielberg no harm in Hollywood.

>2) SS has never had a major female character.  Although Princess
>Leia is not exactly Kate Hepburn, she isn't all sweetness and light
>either.  ...
>However, in "Sugarland" SS had Goldie Hawn playing the main
>character, who happened to have a very strong personality.  This
>also may have had something to do with the film's short life.

Spielberg had nothing to do with any of the "Star Wars" movies, so he
deserves neither credit nor blame for Princess Leia.  In my original
note, I mentioned Goldie Hawn's role in "The Sugarland Express".  I
do not think that the fact that the major character was a strong woman
(if not the world's brightest) had anything to do with the film's
failure, which was only a relative failure, anyway.

        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA (08/14/85)

From: Peter Alfke <Alfke.pasa@Xerox.ARPA>

orstcs!richardt writes:
> Two great fallacies about Spielberg movies ...
> 2) Steven Spielberg has never had a major female character.
> Although Princess Leia is not exactly Kate Hepburn, she isn't all
> sweetness and light either.

Let me be the 56th to point out that Leia is a creation of George Lucas,
not Steven Spielberg.

How "major" was Karen Allen's character in "Raiders"?  She certainly had
less screen time than Harrison Ford, but I found her a very likeable,
strong woman.
Hearing that not only was she not in "Temple of Doom", but that the
female sidekick was a stereotypically weak woman, was one of the major
factors that made me decide to not see that movie.
						--Peter Alfke