[mod.computers.vax] SCRATCH_AREA

TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA (Stephen Tihor) (11/19/85)

Under version 4 I have implemented a general scratch area using an identifier
SCRATCH_SPACE which all users hold in resource mode.  It has a limited but
large quota on a suitable device.  Files owned by that identifier SCRATCH_SPACE
disapppear after the guarenteed residency period.  To make life easir
for people we provide a concealed root logical DISK$SCRATCH containing a
directory for each user owned by SCRATCH_SPACE but with an appropriate ACL
set on it to let the appropirate user have ACCESS=R+W+E+D+C on the file.

I am giving a talk on the subject a DECUS in Anaheim if you will be there.

 \\   Stephen Tihor / CIMS / NYU / 251 Mercer Street  / New York, NY 10012  //
((  DEC Enet: RHEA::DECWRL::"""TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA"""  NYUnet: TIHOR.CMCL1  ))
 // ARPAnet: Tihor@NYU-CMCL1   UUCPnet address: ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!cmcl1!tihor \\

-------

info-vax@ucbvax.UUCP (11/27/85)

In article <32357F363.004A001F;1985@CMCL1.NYU.ARPA> TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA (Stephen Tihor) writes:
>Under version 4 I have implemented a general scratch area using an identifier
>SCRATCH_SPACE which all users hold in resource mode.  It has a limited but
>large quota on a suitable device.  Files owned by that identifier SCRATCH_SPACE
>disapppear after the guarenteed residency period.  To make life easir
>for people we provide a concealed root logical DISK$SCRATCH containing a
>directory for each user owned by SCRATCH_SPACE but with an appropriate ACL
>set on it to let the appropirate user have ACCESS=R+W+E+D+C on the file.

We plan to put such a facility in place here when we get time to put it
together.  We are tentatively planning to create a scratch directory (on
the scratch pseudo-disk) for each user when he/she logs in, then "remove"
the files at logout (rename the directory to a [deleted] directory).

This scheme has a few holes however:
1)  I don't know of any way to prevent knowledgeable users from circumventing
    our system-wide logout command file.  (We have defined the symbol LO*GOUT
    to execute a system-wide logout command file.)  This isn't a big problem
    because we still plan to have a periodic scratch device scavenger to delete
    the scratch files.
2)  If the scratch area is on the same disk as the user (as it will be in our
    case), the user can create/set other files to the scratch owner--thus
    circumventing the quota system.  The only way I see around this is to
    periodically sweep the entire disk deleting SCRATCH files.

Conrad Cunningham
Engineering Computer Laboratory
Washington University, St. Louis, MO, USA