[mod.computers.vax] clearing recall-buffer

S211KENO@HTIKHT5.BITNET (11/16/85)

I'm writing a command procedure to authorize a new user.
One of the things this procedure does is inquiring the new user's password.
Of course I do set terminal/noecho before the INQUIRE-statement, but
onfortunately the password is still in the recall-buffer.

Does anybody know how to clear the recall-buffer ?

powers@TESLA.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Garry Wiegand) (11/18/85)

In article <...> S211KENO@HTIKHT5.BITNET writes:
>Of course I do set terminal/noecho before the INQUIRE-statement, but
>onfortunately the password is still in the recall-buffer.
>
>Does anybody know how to clear the recall-buffer ?

It appears the DCL routines which extend the terminal driver's memory
don't agree with the terminal driver itself about whether to save non-echoed
input. The driver's probably right since you're not very likely to be
editing a command you can't see...

To do it the driver's way, use Read rather than Inquire:

          $ read/prompt="Password: " sys$command password

I think this should solve your problem.

(An explicit Read to the terminal is more often used when you want the
input precisely as typed (no conversion to upper case...), or when
a /TIME_OUT would be a good thing.)

Garry Wiegand
garry%geology@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (arpa)

powers@TESLA.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Powers) (11/18/85)

In article <...> S211KENO@HTIKHT5.BITNET writes:
>Of course I do set terminal/noecho before the INQUIRE-statement, but
>onfortunately the password is still in the recall-buffer.
>
>Does anybody know how to clear the recall-buffer ?

It appears the DCL routines which extend the terminal driver's memory
don't agree with the terminal driver itself about whether to save non-echoed
input. The driver's probably right since you're not very likely to be
editing a command you can't see...

To do it the driver's way, use Read rather than Inquire:

          $ read/prompt="Password: " sys$command password

I think this should solve your problem.

(An explicit Read to the terminal is more often used when you want the
input precisely as typed (no conversion to upper case...), or when
a /TIME_OUT would be a good thing.)

Garry Wiegand      "more than you ever wanted to know about VMS"
garry%geology@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (arpa)

(apologies for scrambled headers; I'm having trouble getting sri-kl to
accept this.)

seaton@THRINT.DEC (Ian Seaton, Dedicated Mail, REO2-F/D3, DTN 830 3593) (11/29/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 16-NOV-1985 07:27---------------------

Perhaps the solution is not to use INQUIRE...
how about...

$	READ/PROMPT="Password: " SYS$COMMAND password

this doesn't enter anything into the RECALL buffer.

     Share and Enjoy...

          Ian Seaton
                    DEC Reading, England

UUCP:                              !dec-thrint!
                    decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-tron  !seaton
                                   !dec-blott !

ARPA:               seaton%tron.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA