[mod.computers.vax] DEC VT220 keyboard replacements

page@ULOWELL.CSNET (Bob Page) (11/27/85)

I'd like to replace my LK201 keyboard (normally comes with the VT220)
with a more 'vt100' type keyboard, where the keys are in the 'right'
place.  Do you know of any vendors who provide alternate keyboards that
I can plug into the VT220 and run?  Seems like a sizeable market, doesn't
it?

Please mail directly to me; I will summarize to the net.

Thanks already,
..Bob

Bob Page, University of Lowell
ARPA: page%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay
UUCP: ...!decvax!{wang,wanginst}!ulowell!page
DDD:  617/452-5000x2233

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (12/04/85)

Reply follows enclosed reference:
------------------------------
Forwarded by [  1,60 ] GRINNE::Stanis,Bob           Tue,  3-Dec-85, 10:15 AM

Date:     Wed, 27 Nov 85 16:03 EDT
From:     Bob Page <page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To:       info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
Subject:  DEC VT220 keyboard replacements

I'd like to replace my LK201 keyboard (normally comes with the VT220)
with a more 'vt100' type keyboard, where the keys are in the 'right'
place.  Do you know of any vendors who provide alternate keyboards that
I can plug into the VT220 and run?  Seems like a sizeable market, doesn't
it?

Please mail directly to me; I will summarize to the net.

Thanks already,
..Bob

Bob Page, University of Lowell
ARPA: page%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay
UUCP: ...!decvax!{wang,wanginst}!ulowell!page
DDD:  617/452-5000x2233
------------------------------

I don't know of any LK201 compatibles, but I did come across some interesting
info today in Hardcopy V4 #12 (December '85), pp. 18-19.  Excerpts:

          Analysts are expecting DEC to release an upgraded VT220, named
          the VT230, that will cause VT100 lovers to breathe a sigh of
          relief.  Although DEC won't confirm rumors, the VT230 is expected
          to solve VT100 compatibility problems.

          ... CIE Terminals' customers can now order the CIT-220+ with a
          new keyboard that is more closely patterned after the VT100. ...

          ... Lear Siegler [is] offering users a choice of keyboards.
          "The new ADM 364 offers VT220, VT100, Vt52 and ANSI X3.64 code
          compatibility, but with one of Lear Siegler's own keyboard
          layouts. ..."

(I am not employed by any of the above manufacturers, and have not verified the
information presented above.)