[mod.computers.vax] Physical memory query - my mailer has CC: problems

GKN%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (12/05/85)

Date:    Wed,  4-DEC-1985 20:04 EST
To:      Info-VAX@SRI-KL.Arpa

        From:   Arpa%"kholt@BBNCC3.ARPA"  4-DEC-1985 10:35
        Subj:   physical memory
        Date:   Tue, 3 Dec 85 15:11:01 EST

        Does anyone know how the DCL SHOW/MEMORY and SHOW/SYS commands decide how many
        pages of physical memory are free / busy?  Although SYS$GETSYI seems like the
        right idea, I don't see how to get the data I need.

Well, the DCL Show Memory command does all sorts of gymnastics waltzing around
inside of VMS and the SBI counting up memory controllers and such like.
Getting at this data is a non-trivial operation, and it is not possible to
do with normal non-privileged user-mode code.

The number that shows up in the "Physical Memory" column is the sum of the
$GETJPI parameters JPI$_PPGCNT (process page count in working set) plus
JPI$_GPGCNT (global page count in working set) for the process in question.

Hope this helps.

gkn