[mod.computers.vax] Corrigendum: ARPAnet Users' Forum at DECUS

lars@ACC.ARPA (12/20/85)

To: "tcp-ip" <tcp-ip@nic>
cc: info-vax@sri-kl,perry@ipto

I have received numerous notes pointing out errors in my submission
about the ARPAnet user meeting at DECUS, and I hope the following
note from Dr. Perry will serve to set the record straight. I hope
my errors have not caused too many problems.

			/ Lars Poulsen
			  Advanced Computer Communications
			 <Lars @ ACC.ARPA>

--------------------- Forwarded mail follows ---------------------------

Date: Thu 19 Dec 85 08:40:59-EST
From: Dennis G. Perry <PERRY@IPTO.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Did I get it right ?
To: lars@ACC.ARPA

Lars, a few notes to help you out.  I am from Los Alamos National Lab
on exchange to DARPA.  In DARPA I am a program manager in charge of
most of the network programs, including the Arpanet.  I am in the
Information Processing Techniques Office of DARPA.  Our office director
is Dr. Saul Amarel, from Rutgers University.

Some of my comments as I noted were designed to get some sort of feed
back from attendees at the meeting and did not imply any actual
activity to implement any of the discussion topics.

In particular, I did not mean to imply that research is not warrented
in the Arpanet, but that many of the issues that need to be resolved
appear to be shorter term issues, along the lines of advanced
engineering or short term research.  To properly address the research
issues, DARPA wants to look at much longer term issues, hence the interest
in very high speed networking.

The discussion about merging the various research networks is a little
misleading.  The idea here was to formalize the Arpa-Internet to
provide a more active participation of its development by other
agencies.  The amount of money mentioned was pure speculation, since
the discussions are very, very preliminary.

Thanks for the opportunity to make a few comments, both here and at DECUS.

dennis
-------
------
------